Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,744

1 members and 2,743 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Fake plants vs Live cage setup: Discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by HissingSnake View Post
    I was over the the gallery section trying to get pictures up, but apparently my phone's pictures are too large to upload! I've just been looking all over the place to find the pros and cons of living terrariums since the option was brought to my attention but there is surprisingly little info readily available. I know I can keep our Mr Slithers in a super simple tank and he's be just as happy with it, but I want a pretty tank. lol. And I don't want to go out and spend a bunch of money on a fake plant set up to find out that a living set up is cheaper and easier to maintain. Fortunately it doesn't really sound like it. The idea of making it easier for bacteria to propagate in the tank is a seriously major con to me. Also being able to hide mites easier. So looks like it might be a no go on that idea.

Thank you for the info!!
    If you were keeping a corn or something I would say it might be worth it. With balls, they don't move much but when they do they can be like bulldozers so all that hard work would just be destroyed by the animals. The lizards however would be a very good candidates for a bio-active setup.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

HissingSnake (03-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    The lizards however would be a very good candidates for a bio-active setup.

Now that's a very interesting idea.... Thanks!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Wasn't trying to be unhelpful...
    Also I didn't want it to sound like I thought everyone else who chipped in with other information about taking care of our snake was being unhelpful. Of course you are going to want to steer someone new in the right direction if you don't know they are already. There are just a BOATLOAD of information sites out there dedicated to helping people get started, but I seriously couldn't find anything about whether or not live tanks were a good idea with pythons. Of course Jordan's response of them just bulldozing over live plants is yet another con against the set up.
    Last edited by HissingSnake; 03-23-2017 at 03:48 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    There are some plants that can tough it out like certain ivies and the woodier, sturdier stuff, but they don't look very nice imo.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

HissingSnake (03-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HissingSnake View Post
    Also I didn't want it to sound like I thought everyone else who chipped in with other information about taking care of our snake was being unhelpful. Of course you are going to want to steer someone new in the right direction if you don't know they are already. There are just a BOATLOAD of information sites out there dedicated to helping people get started, but I seriously couldn't find anything about whether or not live tanks were a good idea with pythons. Of course Jordan's response of them just bulldozing over live plants is yet another con against the set up.
    one thing to consider is that a what is appropriate for a BP at a young age may not work later but you are going to move them anyway. I'm working on a 40 gallon breeder. currently it has a baby red foot tortoise in it, also a bull dozer in the long run but it will be transfered to an outside pen at some point. I will be planting that tank with the tortoise in it, with plants out of its reach, then moving in a BP once the tortoise gets transfered out. the BP will be there for a while and I'll see how it goes, once it outgrows the enclosure it will move on to a bigger tank and I will continue planting the 40 breeder with dart frogs in mind. I think it's best to think about enclosures as a bit more "fluid", over time they have multiple purposes. at this point I don't see a full grown BP being a good candidate for a planted tank, but I'm going to play it by ear.
    "Keep in mind I am sharing what I have learned and what my experiences have taught me. I am not an expert, and it's always good to weigh varying perspectives... Doing it "correctly" often means balancing what works for others with what works for you, given your parameters and observations."

Family Critter List: Bumblebee BP, Fire Spider BP, Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Planted Aquarium, Red-Foot Tortoise, Dwarf Hamster, Holland Lop Rabbit, 6 egg laying chickens, 37 in freezer camp, last but not least Flap Jack, our Pit mix rescue dog who keeps everyone in line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12