Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,740

0 members and 2,740 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Is 80% humidity too high for a blood?

I've had my new sumatran python for two days. She's a beautiful little gal, but in her tub, the humidity is at 80% and I am so worried that this is too high and will cause an RI. It is this high even after removing cork bark and all of the eco earth from the tub and replacing it with paper. Setup is a 25" long x 15" wide x 7" tall tub with drilled holes on two sides. 3 hides, two of which are cardboard boxes. There's probably about 30 holes drilled near the water bowl, but the humidity isn't budging - even with the bowl being on the cooler side of the tub. Temperatures are 75-87 degrees Fahrenheit (UTH hooked up to thermostat set to 86F)... Please help.

Another note - there is no condensation on the inside of the tub. I live in the midwest, and humidity outdoors ranges from 40%-70%, but certainly not that high inside. How could it be so high, unless maybe my hygrometer is broken? Should I remove the water dish for a few hours at a time?
    Last edited by FatPython; 03-23-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    As long as their is some airflow and no heavy condensation AND the temps are good, I wouldn't worry about it.

You don't want to create a "swamp" with constantly wet substrate that isn't being switched out often and no air flow. THAT is what causes RI's. That, and wrong temps.

If the temps are as you say, they do sound good.

For your own piece of mind, you can purchase another hygrometer, but having the humidity in the air at that percentage is not a bad thing.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (03-23-2017)

Thanks

Re: Is 80% humidity too high for a blood?

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    As long as their is some airflow and no heavy condensation AND the temps are good, I wouldn't worry about it.

You don't want to create a "swamp" with constantly wet substrate that isn't being switched out often and no air flow. THAT is what causes RI's. That, and wrong temps.

If the temps are as you say, they do sound good.

For your own piece of mind, you can purchase another hygrometer, but having the humidity in the air at that percentage is not a bad thing.
    Thank you so, so much. There is no condensation visible, and there's no spilled water... phew. Temps are still checking out with my radar temp gun. I've got about 34 holes drilled, plus a vent with mesh cut out on top of the tub that's about 4" long. Do you think that is enough?
    Last edited by FatPython; 03-23-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks
    That sounds like plenty of ventilation!!
    Make sure that its not "to" much as in killing your temps (if your room is very cold, etc..)

Everything sounds on the up and up, though.

When the fattie goes into shed, you might have to give a larger water bowl or actually mist the enclosure a bit, though, so that you actually have some visible condensation.
    Just make sure everything stays clean, even if moist.

Enjoy your little fattie, they are such fun snakes for sure !!!
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    That sounds like plenty of ventilation!!
    Make sure that its not "to" much as in killing your temps (if your room is very cold, etc..)

Everything sounds on the up and up, though.

When the fattie goes into shed, you might have to give a larger water bowl or actually mist the enclosure a bit, though, so that you actually have some visible condensation.
    Just make sure everything stays clean, even if moist.

Enjoy your little fattie, they are such fun snakes for sure !!!
    Oh dear. Humidity appears to be 85% now. Is that still okay? I do think I need a new hygrometer though, so I ordered a nice digital one. However, I'm glad that if it stays around 80 in these conditions that it is okay... Thank you so much for your help!

I really like the short tailed pythons, they have so much personality! I'm looking forward to watching her grow into an adult, haha. She's timid, but gentle.
    Last edited by FatPython; 03-23-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FatPython View Post
    Oh dear. Humidity appears to be 85% now. Is that still okay? I do think I need a new hygrometer though, so I ordered a nice digital one. However, I'm glad that if it stays around 80 in these conditions that it is okay... Thank you so much for your help!

I really like the short tailed pythons, they have so much personality! I'm looking forward to watching her grow into an adult, haha. She's timid, but gentle.
    I don't know about bloods specifically, but as a general rule, high humidity is perfectly fine as long as the substrate and enclosure is dry and there is good ventilation (and you have a lot of that)! I also had this problem when I lived in LA, for some reason my apartment was very humid. I poked so many holes that the tubs looked like swiss cheese, but the humidity of my room to begin with was simply 75%. LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-23-2017 at 06:29 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Prognathodon (03-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatPython View Post

That is ok, as long as its the "humidity in the air" and the floor and sides aren't actually "wet".
    You have plenty of air flow, temps stay steady, I wouldn't worry about it. But again, when it comes time for shed, you might actually want to mist some..

Timid is better then one of those fire breathing dragons..haha.
    Zina

Thanks
    I'd drop your temps just a bit. 81-82 is there sweet spot. Sounds like you have a bad gauge.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Goode05 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-26-2017)

Thanks

I'm sorry, I meant to respond earlier - but I lowered her temps, they are now stable in the low 80's. and my new hygrometer came in - humidity's actually been sitting at 70% the whole time, phew. She fed on Sunday. The only thing now is, I went to check on her today and clean her paper substrate, but when I lifted her out - she is making a very, tiny, occasional popping sound. I am terrified she has an RI because she is so young, only 4 months old. The strange thing is though, it is intermittent. I once fostered a kingsnake with a very bad RI, and that animal was constantly popping and crackling, and my snake isn't. Could it be an RI?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FatPython For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    Did the "popping" happen while she was relaxed ? Or only during handling?
    Could she be coming up on a shed?

Its a good sign she ate for you. I would say, just watch her for now. Try to "listen" if you hear that noise while she is relaxed in her home.
    Zina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast