Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,644

0 members and 2,644 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Bob's tale: From emaciation to merely skinny

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I am not coming down on you. Just trying to show the bigger picture. Would you rather "save" one and let 50 die or let one die and save 50? Providing everything you are saying is true I would bet you can get your money back and improve life for the rest of the animals that are stuck in these conditions. You just have to put up a big enough stink and make them realize you did them a favor by taking the animal. If any of the breeders on this board ever let an animal go that looked like that it would not go well for their business. Word would get out fast. It shouldn't be any different for a chain pet store.

Please understand. I am a vet tech so I'm intimately aware of the idea that I can't save them all. But I can save the one in front of me, and maybe help the others. If I had let Bob die, nothing would have changed. So it wasn't save one and let 50 die. It would have been save none, let 51 die. I didn't make a stink against petsmart itself, because I didn't want them to be shut down to my suggestions. I'm quite certain this snake came from the supplier in already poor condition, because you don't reach skeletal in 6 weeks when you've also had two feeds if you start a healthy weight snake. A non-feeder corn that's gone 6 weeks with NO food at all since hatching wouldn't look in as bad condition. So because I emphasized that I didn't want anyone at the store to get in trouble, that I did not consider them at fault, that I was certain the supplier gave them an already underweight snake, the manager was extremely open to suggestions on how to improve. There's only so much she can do when having to keep to store policy but small positive changes were made. And by owning Bob, I was able to provide good photos to show her emaciation and also provide photos of healthy-weight ball python hatchlings. So now when they get shipments in, they can identify if any are underweight to start, and take them to the vet as well as tell the supplier. And they'll be weighing the snakes to make sure they aren't losing.

So I saved one, and might have saved the next 50 or at least improved their lot.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    My biggest question is, "why is corporate policy such that it harms animals". I see this again and again, disgruntled reptile lovers getting fed up and quitting because they aren't allowed to care for the animals properly. How is a company legally allowed to participate in what is mandated animal cruelty?
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 03-22-2017 at 05:39 PM.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    My biggest question is, "why is corporate policy such that is harms animals". I see this again and again, disgruntled reptile lovers getting fed up and quitting because they aren't allowed to care for the animals properly. How is a company legally allowed to participate in what is mandated animal cruelty?
    Question one its all about the money.
    Question two it is not legal.

They get away with this stuff because people enable it. I really don't want to slam the OP because obviously the animal is really cared for now, but the OP is part of the problem.

First the chain buys the animal for next to nothing, maybe it already ahs issues, maybe not. Then, they don't take care of it well because it is cheaper not to. Then someone buys it fo some ungodly price. Then they get sold a bunch of crap they do not need.

In this case not only did the OP pay for the animal but they gave free advice to the store. If I ever see something this bad at a pet store the manager will regret that I ever walked in there.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think much of it is that reptiles and fish are viewed as cheap commodities, there's actually not that much research into actually ideal care (sorry not sorry, but a bare tiny bin for a ball python is a travesty and yet it's commonly used and seen as perfectly okay), people are heavily invested in 'traditional' versions of snake keeping, and reptiles aren't seen as 'real' pets or capable of suffering.
    Coporate standards provide them with a hide, repticarpet, a waterbowl, heat source, and only offering f/t prey. But the cages are very small, open-mesh-topped, use heat bulbs and temperature/humidity is monitored using those bloody stupid zoomed dial thermometers. While a corn snake can be 'okay' with this, something humidity-loving and shy like a ball python cannot.
    Last edited by Spiritserpents; 03-22-2017 at 05:53 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

As I have said *repeatedly*, they were just going to get another snake to replace it. So nothing would have changed, except yes, they wouldn't have my money. But there'd still be a dead snake, and no changes to husbandry, and thus future ill snakes. Instead, there is a live snake and actual changes. If I'd gone ranting and raving like I wanted to do they wouldn't have listened to me. Just as clients who are not taking proper care of their dogs and cats won't listen if I act accusatory... even if I am extremely accusatory. I just don't use the words I wanted to.

But all that said and done, I wasn't going to let this snake starve to death when I could fix it. I was having a bad week. I don't buy pet store animals but I'd had enough death and a few people making empathy purchases like this aren't going to even be noticed by the company compared to the numbers they sell to people ignorant of the housing travesty.

So I'll wear ashes and sack cloth for you. Yes, I'm a pet store enabling idiot, which I know, but *I* have a live snake.
    Last edited by Spiritserpents; 03-22-2017 at 05:55 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I wish we weren't under siege from all sides. USARK has to put all it's work into just trying to keep it legal for us to keep them... but I bet mart/co/whatever would sit up and pay attention to a lawsuit. Wonder if that'd work if we could get the bird and fish people on board with us (rodent people might not want to talk to us lol).

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    This is my last comment on this one because I am coming off like a butt head to the OP and I sound remotely like a PETA activist which I am not. I hunt, have worked on a farm etc. My point is no animal needs to suffer needlessly. Even when I stomp a bug I make sure its not twitching before I move on.

I would have handled this situation differently than the OP because I am a different person. I know how to present myself in a manner that I will get my way. I could explain to the OP how to get their money back, but he/she is not interested and may take that money to rescue another one. As to lawsuits, I like lawyers less than box stores. If people in the know made a stink every time they saw an issue like this one the problem would take care of itself. If I saw this thread and it was about my company I would be pooping giant bricks. Now a days you can decimate a companies rep just with a few tweets. Don't need lawyers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12