Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,551

1 members and 3,550 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Corn snake genetics question

Well we are off to look at two corn snakes this Sunday (both adults needing a new home). The female is a Blizzard, the male is a Creamsicle (okeetee type).

Now on doing research something came up that I'm clueless on. It seems that a corn snake is Elaphe guttata but a Creamsicle corn really isn't a corn as it's got Elaphe Emoryi (great plains ratsnake) mixed in...so is a creamsicle therefore considered a hybrid and not really a cornsnake at all???? (danged confusing!) Is it splitting hairs as both are genus Elaphe anyways?

I may never consider breeding these two snakes (they just need a home and I do love corns almost as much as balls). If I ever did breed them tho...what the heck would they produce? I can't use a Corn Snake genetics calculator as it doesn't recognize the Creamsicle male. If I did breed them do I sell the babies as corn snakes or as hybrids?

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Corn snake genetics question

To my understanding there is a hybrid creamsicle, and a genetic designer morph also called creamsicle. I am not sure on this though..

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Well I looked at the corn snakes. I have to say this guy had some of the most lovely, well kept snakes I've ever seen. 8 in total....one adult breeding blizzard female, an adult breeding male snow...and 6 more sub-adults.

I looked at the creamsicle male which is from Kathy Love but it's sort of wierd. I'm sure it was correctly identified as a creamsicle but it has such high color and no white like the creams I've seen online it almost seems more like a sunglow???? It's basically bright orange on a peach background. The only pic I can find online that's even close is either a sunglow or an orange phase creamsicle. Even this guy who has it says he's never seen one quite so intense.

The other two I like were I think both females. One is a lovely Anery type A. Very pretty snake almost dark grey on light grey with just touches of yellow on the sides of her face. The other is an absolutely outstanding Miami phase. I'm hoping he'll part with the Miami phase as he's trying to cut back on his collection but seems very taken with this pretty little snake.

Well my birthday is in 2 weeks so we'll see which ones I end up with. They are all lovely and eating very well so any of them will be a real pleasure to have.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Ah, so it'll be a surprise which snake you get? I'm getting a snake for my birthday too. I have to check but I may be getting a rack as well. I think that makes us officially strange. My husband's coworkers think I'm nuts. But to them.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Well not really a surprise as I know I can have the creamsicle but I think the guy my husband works with would rather part with the anery then that maimi phase (tho his wife wants him to get rid of all of them except the big snow and the big blizzard) so we'll see what my hubby works out with him. I like that anery well enough but that miami phase is to drool over!

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Oh, gotcha! I'll start sending out the you-want-to-part-with-the-miami-phase-snake vibes right now!!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Hey I wish people would get me snakes for my birthday.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Hi all I know this is an outdated thread, but I thought I'd lend my knowledge in the area (which isn't by any means complete, but I like to think I know more than your average Joe.. O.o.. doesn't everyone like to think that though? lol)
    Creamsicles are really Amelanistic Corn X Emoryi crosses, the non-amel version being called 'Rootbeer'.
    There are three basic types of Creamsicle, Orange (your classic Cream), Yellow (Line bred), and Okeetee (Also line bred to have large white borders around the saddles). The one you described sounds more like a Orange than anything...
    By breeding a Creamsicle to an Amel, since the Amel is either compatible in both Emoryi and Corn or just the Corn Amel gene (I'm not 100% sure on which), you would get 100% Amel that you would really have to include their Emoryi herritage in labeling them for sale. There are many die hard Corn fans out there that wouldn't buy an Emoryi mix... Emoryi mixes also tend to be larger, and better eaters. Both our Orange Creamsicle and our Yellow go absolutely insane at feeding time o.O lol. Anyway, when useing that darned Corn Program (I can do Punnett squares lol j/k j/k!!!!) just treat Creamsicles as amels.

Laine
    Scales 'N Things . Com