Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

2 members and 2,828 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Soon to be BP owner... and I want to know everything!

Hello!
    To start, I am new to this forum but have been using it for a little while now, and everyone seems very nice and informed so I want to go over my situation, and any suggestions are greatly appreciated! (This may be long and I do not expect every question I have answered, but literally any help is awesome!)
    So I am a college student who goes to school in Syracuse (a bitterly cold place) and lives 5 hours away in the summer. I am very excited as I plan to buy a very young BP at the end of the semester when I go home. I have been doing SO MUCH research, as I want my snake to live a long and happy life, but the more I research the more differing opinions I see online!

Some basic questions I have:
    How old should I buy? I really want to see and foster the growth of a male BP (male because it is shorter and apparently less $) as I have heard the process is simply beautiful and I think if I have the snake at as young as possible I will grown even more attached to it, as I will have seen its life nearly entirely (do I sound too much like a dad lol?)
    Also, I do not want a normal BP, as that just seems lame with all the morphs available on the market, but I am also a realistic college kid, who cannot spend more than 100$ on the snake itself. What is the normal price to pay for a less typical morph? (I really like black&white Axanthic BP's, but on Morph Market I have seen them for like $700+, and thats just unrealistic for me.) Also, I plan to buy one from a reptile expo on long island, but is that the best route for sure? I hear most likely the snakes there would run me ~25$ which almost seems too good to be true, but I have never been to one. Also, does anyone know of a good expo on LI around the middle/end of May?

Questions pertaining to the care of my BP:
    So I plan on using a 20 gallon glass tank, as it seems to be the maximum for babies, and the minimum for adults (I do plan to upgrade the tank eventually, but especially if I buy young, I think the 20 should last me a while [unless I am just dead wrong]). I also plan to use aspen bedding, as it seems to be a reasonable choice when considering price, looks, and function. Is that okay?
    I also need to consider the heating a lot. During the winters here it gets really cold, and the house I am living in usually is about 67/68 degrees during the winter. Im thinking if I have the UTH running at all times (on the warm side) connected to a thermostat, I could have a basking light on the warm side and a ceramic heating bulb over the middle of the tank. During the summer, I could use the basking light during the day and the ceramic at night, and use both during the day in the winter, and just the ceramic at night. Does this sound like a good heating plan? And what brand of UTH and thermostat work together? How many watts should the basking light and ceramic heater be?
    As far as humidity goes, I am thinking about seeing how it is when i put the hydrometer in because I am not sure of the humidity in general, and if need be I can mist or increase the size of the water bowl, or even put tin foil on the top of the tank to keep in the moisture more.
    Also, should I have two hides? One on the cool and one on the warm is what I was thinking, and what are good types of hides to get?
    When it comes to feeding I also want to be really sure, as I do not want my BP to have troubles. How soon can I switch from mice to rats? I know rats are more nutritious, but I know a baby BP probably will be too small and will need mice. Also, I want to feed in a separate container, but I know handling the snake after eating is bad? Am i over thinking it and just picking him up after eating and putting him back in his tank is actually not a big deal? Or should I do something to lead him back into the tank on his own?
    Another worry I have is transportation. How should I go about bringing him in the car in really cold temperatures for a 5 hour journey?

Any answers/criticisms/tips are highly appreciated. I know the learning process is an ongoing one, but I just want to know as much as possible before I get my snake. Thanks again!

Thanks

Re: Soon to be BP owner... and I want to know everything!

I am not on the expert side, but I can talk my experience...

For heating I use a 100W ceramic heater on a thermostat, and a UTH mat. Stats get the job done all year round, don't worry about seasons.

For the hides I liked a naturalistic sight and got some ruins like hides, look cool but when she don't want to be handled she climb to the top on the inside and there is no way to get her out until she decides to come back down. On the bright side of that I know when she is ready for a spin and when she is not, not much body language to read there lol. Definitely you'll want two, so she can warm up or cool down without sacrificing comfort.

One advice I can give you: you can read a whole library on these animals and you still won't be prepared for many things until you've got your pet on your hands and have to adapt on the go. Don't get me wrong it's good to read. I'm just saying for example I got my enclosure a week before the snake, I thought I got everything dialed down and as soon as the snake got in, temperatures, humidity, lighting, everything got out of hands hahahaha there go my perfect plans running out the window laughing at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike17 For This Useful Post:

xman970 (03-21-2017)

Thanks

Re: Soon to be BP owner... and I want to know everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike17 View Post
    I am not on the expert side, but I can talk my experience...

For heating I use a 100W ceramic heater on a thermostat, and a UTH mat. Stats get the job done all year round, don't worry about seasons.

For the hides I liked a naturalistic sight and got some ruins like hides, look cool but when she don't want to be handled she climb to the top on the inside and there is no way to get her out until she decides to come back down. On the bright side of that I know when she is ready for a spin and when she is not, not much body language to read there lol. Definitely you'll want two, so she can warm up or cool down without sacrificing comfort.

One advice I can give you: you can read a whole library on these animals and you still won't be prepared for many things until you've got your pet on your hands and have to adapt on the go. Don't get me wrong it's good to read. I'm just saying for example I got my enclosure a week before the snake, I thought I got everything dialed down and as soon as the snake got in, temperatures, humidity, lighting, everything got out of hands hahahaha there go my perfect plans running out the window laughing at me.

Yeah it seems like each BP is a bit different, and that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for the input!