Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,139

2 members and 3,137 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Banned
    Thanks

Is this common in all Red tailed Boas ?

I got my male Boa as he was a month old. Now he is 10 months old. Since the begining whenever i put him alone in the middle of the floor without something that he could hold on or a wall that he could wove a long he will get huge panic and fear. Can a Red tailed Boa move normally without anything to hold on or move along like a ball python or a corn snake? is this common in all Red tailed Boas?
    Last edited by Dutti; 03-20-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks
    I have three BCIs and all of them really really like to hold onto things. It's getting better as they get older but it's always a bit of a hassle to put them down after handling. They would freak out a bit at first as soon as they lost their hold on me.

The floor not having much grip or things to hold on too still upsets them a bit. I prefer setting them down on the couch.
    3.10 ball python(banana spider moj enchi, lavander, spider leopard, dreamsicle, 2 pied, bumblebee, pinstripe, butter pastel, superpastel, pastel, pastave, het dreasmicle)
    1.1 boa c. imperator (albino, hypo)
    1.2 carpet python (zebra, jaguar, jungle)
    2.2 burmese python (hypo, pearl, dwarf hypo, dwarf)
    0.1 brazilian rainbow boa
    1.1 hognose (albino, tiger anaconda)
    1.1 california king (albino, chocolate stripe)
    1.1 mexican black king
    1.1 corn (caramel)
    1.1 honduran milk (albino, hypo)
    0.0.1 green tree python
    0.0.1 argentine tegu

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Most snakes do not want to be out in the open on the ground as it's too vulnerable to predators, it's maybe just instinct to run for cover, even a wall adds security on one side.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-21-2017),Gio (03-20-2017),John1982 (03-21-2017),Sauzo (03-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    He's a 10 month old baby on an open flat place. Need we say more lol. He's the breakfast/lunch/dinner menu for a ton of different things.

Don't put the baby on the open floor.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-21-2017),jmcrook (03-20-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Is this common in all Red tailed Boas ?

Look, i know that he is stil a baby. But i have a baby male Dummerlis Boa also. I got him also as he was a month old and he is 6 months old now. If i put him on an open floor without holding on something or moving along something, he does not get panic or fear. instead he will move normally like snakes do while the Red tailed Boa in a similar situation will get a huge panic and fear and will start moving around himself but not moving in any direction. I just wondered how can a Red tailed Boa survive in the wild if he behave like that even if he is under a year old? how does he move from one place to another in search of food, water, or humidity if he can move only holding on something or moving along something.
    Last edited by Dutti; 03-20-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    Look, i know that he is stil a baby. But i have a baby male Dummerlis Boa also. I got him also as he was a month old and he is 6 months old now. If i put him on an open floor without holding on something or moving along something, he does not get panic or fear. instead he will move normally like snakes do while the Red tailed Boa in a similar situation will get a huge panic and fear and will start moving around himself but not moving in any direction. I just wondered how can a Red tailed Boa survive in the wild if he behave like that even if he is under a year old? how does he move from one place to another in search of food, water, or humidity if he can move only holding on something or moving along something.
    Well to start with a dumerils is not a common boa.

In the wild a baby common boa would not put himself in that situation. There is LOTS of cover in the jungles of South America. If they do get in that situation, more than likely, they wouldn't survive. That is kind of why boas have so many babies. many will not survive to adulthood.

As for finding water, food and humidity, again its the jungle so humidity will be high to begin with not to mention under the jungle floor it is probably pretty humid. Water, they can find lots of leaves with standing water in them I would imagine. And food, well boas are designed to go long periods without food but i'm sure they find their fair share of little critters in the stuff that are also hiding from bigger predators.

And finally, every animal will have its own personality. Some are more outgoing while some are more shy. Some are more defensive and others more passive.

And may I ask why you are evening putting a baby snake on the middle of the floor? A bigger snake I can see it as a snake like Rosey my 7' BCI or Vicky my 5' BCI or Caesar my 5' retic, you can put them on the floor and they will be fine although even them I don't put in the middle of the floor. I always let them hang on me or sit on me while I lay in bed watching tv or whatever.

And finally I'm assuming when you say 'red tail' you are referring to a common boa aka BCI and not an actual true red tail like a suirname, Guyana, Peruvian etc? Because doing that to a baby one of those can really stress it out and create problems.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-21-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-21-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    And may I ask why you are evening putting a baby snake on the middle of the floor? A bigger snake I can see it as a snake like Rosey my 7' BCI or Vicky my 5' BCI or Caesar my 5' retic, you can put them on the floor and they will be fine although even them I don't put in the middle of the floor. I always let them hang on me or sit on me while I lay in bed watching tv or whatever.

And finally I'm assuming when you say 'red tail' you are referring to a common boa aka BCI and not an actual true red tail like a suirname, Guyana, Peruvian etc? Because doing that to a baby one of those can really stress it out and create problems.

I am the one who posted this Thread. I gave 5 times a wrong password. i was blocked for 15 minutes. i requested a new password. i could not log in with it so i had to create a new account. My previous username was Dutti, now i have a new username Dutti1

My Red tailed Boa should be a BCI, but he could be "big possibility" a mixed Boa BCI and BCC. I would never ever put him again in the middle of the floor without anything to hold on. It is torture for the animal. And if he is left like that he will certainly die within 2 to 3 hours out of stress, fear and panic. I just tried that at the begining as i had no knowledge of Red tailed Boas behaviour
    Last edited by Dutti; 03-21-2017 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks

My (almost) 3 year old, 4 1/2 foot Hog Island still sticks to me but will explore a bit. My ball will just take off (really gotta keep an eye on her - almost lost her in the furniture two or three times!). My Rainbow tries to get down by wrapping around my body and sliding onto the floor. He would be gone in a flash and doesn't seem to be scared of anything. My Jungle Carpet sticks pretty close to me but she is still baby at 3 feet and is getting better at leaving me. they are all different at their levels o exploring but still lots of fun.

Thanks

Dumerils boas are typically more ground-dwelling boas while BCI are semi-arboreal, and are comfortable in the trees, especially when they are young. Think about the environments these two animals have evolved for and you'll understand why they have different reactions.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    I am the one who posted this Thread. I gave 5 times a wrong password. i was blocked for 15 minutes. i requested a new password. i could not log in with it so i had to create a new account. My previous username was Dutti, now i have a new username Dutti1
    My original account is working again. The second account has been merged with the original one. Problem solved