Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

1 members and 3,031 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Low Humidity In Wooden Vivarium

Hello, I am the owner of a young ball python whose been having trouble shedding. He seems healthy besides that and usually rubs off the skin after I bathe him but I'd really rather he be able to shed it naturally.

I currently have him on aspen substrate and a heat mat inside the wooden vivarium. I'd rather avoid under-the-tank heaters since I've heard that they aren't effective with wooden vivariums and I've heard that eco earth is a more humid substrate but it can grow mold if paired with a heat lamp and apparently it can't be in direct contact with a heat mat for some reason.

Does anyone have any good advice?

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Yeah, ditch the wood. It's going to suck up your moisture and mold. And a heat mat belongs under the enclosure, not inside it where the snake can knock around the t-stat prop and pee on it and damage it. If you want to skip under tank heating, invest in an RHP.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-20-2017),JodanOrNoDan (03-20-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-21-2017)

Thanks

Re: Low Humidity In Wooden Vivarium

Hey, I have my BP in a wooden display tank, I used to use aspen bedding but it's so dry and dusty I recently swapped to orchid bark which I belive is also called reptibark? Since this swap my humidity jumped 10% just with that change and I now have a steady level of mid 50's I dont use a UTH though as I think they're hard for wooden vivs I use a ceramic heat bulb on one side and it keeps a good temperature gradient from cool side to hot side, when he's about to shed I mist few times daily and twice a day anyway and he shed well everytime since, sometimes I pop an extra water bowl and a moss hide to really lift humidity up, hope this helps

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Yeah, ditch the wood. It's going to suck up your moisture and mold. And a heat mat belongs under the enclosure, not inside it where the snake can knock around the t-stat prop and pee on it and damage it. If you want to skip under tank heating, invest in an RHP.
    What does RHP stand for ?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Radiant heat panel. These things here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Mexecutioner (03-21-2017)

Thanks

Change your substrate up, I use coconut husk fibre. It holds humidity well and is meant for the tropical climate a BP is used to. For keeping humidity, I usually used a moist (warm) towel to cover part of the enclosure after misting. As well as give the enclosure a good spray down once or twice a day.

This is what I buy

https://www.amazon.ca/Hagen-PT2771-E.../dp/B001CY4ELE

Also, you can add a moist hide to your tank, a place where your BP can go to get extra moisture. You can do this buy either filling a tuperware bowl with some moss, or you can put the moss into a hide in your enclosure. I wouldnt recommend putting it in his only hide.
    Last edited by KingNoFace; 03-21-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks

does a RHP need a dedicated thermostat or does it have one built in. ... and am I missing something, the page you listed has no pricing and no "add to cart" button. the description on the page is very impressive. I'm always looking for more reliable and more energy efficient ways to heat enclosures.
    "Keep in mind I am sharing what I have learned and what my experiences have taught me. I am not an expert, and it's always good to weigh varying perspectives... Doing it "correctly" often means balancing what works for others with what works for you, given your parameters and observations."

Family Critter List: Bumblebee BP, Fire Spider BP, Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Planted Aquarium, Red-Foot Tortoise, Dwarf Hamster, Holland Lop Rabbit, 6 egg laying chickens, 37 in freezer camp, last but not least Flap Jack, our Pit mix rescue dog who keeps everyone in line.

Thanks
    I would line the wooden enclosure with something able to seal it. with my tiger wood display set up I lined the whole thing with shower liner and used spray foam to adhere it and silicone to seal up the seams. to use a UTH inside I had to create a glass panel with spacers to adhere it to so as to avoid heat encapsulation, I sandwiched the probe in between. you can see a pic in my gallery.
    "Keep in mind I am sharing what I have learned and what my experiences have taught me. I am not an expert, and it's always good to weigh varying perspectives... Doing it "correctly" often means balancing what works for others with what works for you, given your parameters and observations."

Family Critter List: Bumblebee BP, Fire Spider BP, Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Planted Aquarium, Red-Foot Tortoise, Dwarf Hamster, Holland Lop Rabbit, 6 egg laying chickens, 37 in freezer camp, last but not least Flap Jack, our Pit mix rescue dog who keeps everyone in line.

Thanks
    You know what, I've never ordered anything other than PAM from ProPoducts and I can't see if there's an order button I'm missing either :/. I assume to contact them to special order? Reptile basics and LLL both sell them as well. You do need to regulate it with a t-stat, but the claim (at least with the Proheat guys) is that it won't burn you/ the animal/catch fire even in the event of t-stat failure.

Thanks

I've not seen these before they look to be great I'm gonna loo into getting one of these what's your opinion on them

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast