Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,512

1 members and 1,511 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Re: Guaranteed Money

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    And good luck even getting a chance to look at the $25K new hot gene straight out of Africa because the big boys have got so many connections to get their feet in the door first it's crazy. I'm really curious what breeder it was that was undercutting you though. you would think someone who's been in the business as long as most of them have KNOW what a bone head move that is for their future profits! I guess if you produce snakes like candy all the time you have enough inventory to sell it all back at rock bottom prices, but yeesh.
    Ill be honest it really upset me but then I said well I cant sell her for that so ill just keep her she is a nice enough example to warrant breeding and my g/f just loves her but I will not name via it would only be petty and harmful, and wile it did irk me I will be the bigger person. if they can sell for that so be it Ill pair her to my toffino male and get some spider toffino's next season
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

DLena (03-21-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You have class.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

StillBP (03-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLena View Post
    You have class.
    I have respect for what those before me have done but thank you
    tho it seams to have semi hijacked this thread so I will again go to the op
    This is how you go about making money in this industry
    Respect
    if your customers respect you and know that you stand behind your snakes you can sell a normal for top dollar if they do not you couldn't give away the best combo on the market
    Last edited by StillBP; 03-21-2017 at 08:57 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-22-2017)

Thanks
    With the right guidance I have no doubt that this can be a small source of income. Enough to pay for the hobby itself.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    On the topic of undercutting, I feel the same goes for buying. Of course everyone wants a deal but if someone is asking a fair price I think it's petty and insulting to want to haggle over another $10-$20 off. I've flat out told people if they need to save another $10 that badly that I s don't feel they can properly care for the animal if their finances are that tight and not sold to the person. If you list an animal that usually sells for about 100 at 80 you'll always get the people that want to then offer 50-60. Nope. Now deals among friends are always approved

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (03-22-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLou View Post
    On the topic of undercutting, I feel the same goes for buying. Of course everyone wants a deal but if someone is asking a fair price I think it's petty and insulting to want to haggle over another $10-$20 off. I've flat out told people if they need to save another $10 that badly that I s don't feel they can properly care for the animal if their finances are that tight and not sold to the person. If you list an animal that usually sells for about 100 at 80 you'll always get the people that want to then offer 50-60. Nope. Now deals among friends are always approved
    I understand the sentiments but this is the way a free market works. In my real business offering a better product for less money is the way it is done. Customers bargain. If I don't think I can make a profit I have to turn down the contract. If I can undercut my competitors and put them out of business I will. Once there is no competition prices go back up. I never screw over friends, but if I am competing head to head with someone I will do everything in my power to come out on top.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I understand the sentiments but this is the way a free market works. In my real business offering a better product for less money is the way it is done. Customers bargain. If I don't think I can make a profit I have to turn down the contract. If I can undercut my competitors and put them out of business I will. Once there is no competition prices go back up. I never screw over friends, but if I am competing head to head with someone I will do everything in my power to come out on top.
    The problem here is the if you sell a $300 snake at $250 then I mark mine at $200 someone else does$175.so you go $150 Now that becomes the standard price everyone starts using because someone sold one. so we have essentially cut the value in half in a few days. The price will not go back up because of the amount of people producing the same morph. It will only go down more. And this is why a exemplary example of a pastel can be bought for next to nothing. Too many people looking for the cheapest snake instead of the best example. And too many breeders willing to sell for whatever they can get. This is why I only have exceptional examples of the morphs I want to breed. And all lower quality animal will be found pet homes not sold to someone looking to breed

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-23-2017),Lizardlicks (03-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Just another example or two from the UK ....

Some guy last great put a clutch of boas up for sale ... Albinos at £75 and SunGlows £150 each ...

Also last year I was lucky enough to pick up a Caramel Albino Spider Royal for just £100 ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Just another example or two from the UK ....

Some guy last great put a clutch of boas up for sale ... Albinos at £75 and SunGlows £150 each ...

Also last year I was lucky enough to pick up a Caramel Albino Spider Royal for just £100 ..
    Price wise we have gone bonkers...

Butter pastel poss het ghost male £60
    Cinnabee female £50
    Pied male proven breeder £225
    priven almost 3kg female het pied £120
    Albno spider male £50

Prices in the UK are insane - every year there is a "new" fad morph that gets the backside bred out of it and creates a price crash the following year.

Last year it was bamboo - it seems this year will be the year of the clown again as thats where the sales are all headed xx
    Balls balls balls

15. The Following User Says Thank You to embrit345 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-23-2017)

Thanks

The OP on this thread really didn't bother me. Just because someone is asking about "money-makers" doesn't automatically mean that they're money-grubbing or that they won't care for their animals as they should. Every big breeder out there was once a small hobby breeder and they got where they are today by looking at risks vs profits. Yep, you have to be passionate, and yep, you have to care because ultimately these are wild animals that are fully dependent on us for their care. But I also think you can balance this with running a business and all that includes: customer care, profit margins, market costs, etc.

Can we make the case that perhaps big breeders don't care about their animals as much as small breeders? Because they keep their animals in small tubs with very little interaction on a daily basis, and typically feed live. They do this for space and cost constraints of keeping so many animals. A small breeder may have the luxury of larger cages, feeding f/t, and interacting with the animals on a daily basis.

Does that mean the big breeder is money-grubbing and less passionate than the small breeder?

I don't think so, but it's my opinion... for whatever that's worth.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

jlcalero (03-23-2017),kxr (03-23-2017)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast