Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

1 members and 3,271 guests
AR29,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Guaranteed Money

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    From my perspective in the UK . .. the fabulously flourishing Royal market actually CRASHED in 2016 !

Were seeing lovely Lessers and Mojaves / Mohaves going for £35 each or less !

Even the old Classics like Albinos are half the old accepted price .. Of course the new paint schemes are still attracting good prices but even they are considerably lower nowadays .

The " in things " are now the Hoggies !!!
    From what I seen, it 'crashed' because people couldn't sell animals quick enough so they sold them for next to nothing.

A friend of mine hatched an enchi butter x normal clutch just before xmas, sold all the single genes for £60-80 each and they went like hot cakes.

People see a morph being sold somewhere for £X and instantly that becomes the 'market value' and when they see crap quality morphs for a low price, they expect to pay the same for a high quality example

Quality animals always sell,
    A bright, high quality pastel will always sell for more than a low quality dull pastel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamiesniper For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-23-2017),jlcalero (03-21-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I think that's another thing to keep in mind, and that I wish a lot of breeders would consider also, DON'T UNDER CUT. It's really tempting to under price an animal just to move it so you aren't stuck with the costs of feeding and caring for it, but that will hurt the market over all. If you think you produce an animal that's worth $400, list it for $400. You put time and love and care into them, so don't sell yourself, or the snakes, short. If it is that good, it will show, and your buyers will pay that price for it because they want the good s you got.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (03-21-2017),StillBP (03-21-2017)

Thanks

From my perspective in the UK . .. the fabulously flourishing Royal market actually CRASHED in 2016 !

Were seeing lovely Lessers and Mojaves / Mohaves going for £35 each or less !

Even the old Classics like Albinos are half the old accepted price .. Of course the new paint schemes are still attracting good prices but even they are considerably lower nowadays .

The " in things " are now the Hoggies !!!
    This is so so true. Back about 7 years ago a pied would cost you over £2000, now a proven double gene breeding weight female may cost you slightly less.

I intend to only breed what I would like to see in my vivs, only breed what I can keep with no worries and that's me happy. Bels and piers for my first season breeding xxx

Balls balls balls

6. The Following User Says Thank You to embrit345 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (03-21-2017)

Thanks

To be honest with you breeding ball pythons is more of a hobby and you wont make lots of money from it but if you do want to produce some cool morphs that are worth alot i know pied combos are worth a lot and dreamsicles are worth alot and clown combos as well but again breeding ball pythons is more of a hobby but if you want to make lots of money you need to get customers and a lot of projects going and high in demand morphs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThrillCosby For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (03-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I honestly wouldn't get into breeding ball pythons with the intention to make money. The market is way saturated right now and with some of the larger breeders producing thousands each year, I just don't see the market holding steady. Now breeding because you love the animals, that's a different story. Like me for example, I've decided to breed a select few because I really enjoy the whole process. There are a few projects I'm doing because I personally want the outcome for myself. I will sell for top dollar or trade the ones I decide not to keep purposely not to hurt the market. People that get into this to make money are typically the ones that crash the market, they get invested too much too quick and then can't sell quick enough so fire sale stuff off to try to get their money back. They don't end up making money but really can hurt the market. It's very simple to breed for the enjoyment of it and for your own personal collection because there is no pressure to produce or sell and you don't need to worry so much about the market because you just need to worry about creating what you will be happy with. Even if the long term goal is to make an income doing it, it would be much less risk to start this way, get a feel for the process, and then if you enjoy it and don't have a problem moving your extras, then you can slowly increase your breeders over time. That's my opinion anyway. But to answer your question, there is no gaurunteed money maker morph. Most of the breeders making the most money are doing well because they love the animals, they've built up their stock and reputation for many years and they know the market from the years of being in it. That can't be told and if it could they wouldn't tell you because that's how they stay ahead. Good luck with your project, I hope you find something that will be rewarding for you.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (03-21-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-21-2017),redshepherd (03-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by embrit345 View Post
    This is so so true. Back about 7 years ago a pied would cost you over £2000, now a proven double gene breeding weight female may cost you slightly less.

I intend to only breed what I would like to see in my vivs, only breed what I can keep with no worries and that's me happy. Bels and piers for my first season breeding xxx

Yep ..

Nice Pieds are now around the £250 mark I'd say ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-21-2017)

Thanks

Yep ..

Nice Pieds are now around the £250 mark I'd say ...
    I have always wanted a belt so am waiting on eggs from lesser x purple passion lol

I have a pied male and a het pied female so may breed them next year or late this season as I would like to hatch my own.

The money side is irrelevant for me though, i will keep each and every baby if neeed be because it's my passion and hobby not my main source of income xx

Balls balls balls

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jlcalero View Post
    at the end of the day it is a business for me [...] i don't expect to get rich off these but don't wanna put myself in a hole
    I think what you said in this post is a little contradictory. If it's a business for you- even after lots of research on morphs, with the fluctuating supply and demand, you very well may put yourself in a hole... there's always a risk, for all the reasons other people stated in the thread.

And in order for you to feel alright with being in a hole, your first priority should be a love and interest for the animals and the experience.

If at the end of the day you expect to make at least $1000 (just for example) over the amount you invested or else it's all a waste of time, this simply isn't quite the right hobby.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-21-2017 at 06:33 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (03-22-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-21-2017),tttaylorrr (03-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    I think that's another thing to keep in mind, and that I wish a lot of breeders would consider also, DON'T UNDER CUT. It's really tempting to under price an animal just to move it so you aren't stuck with the costs of feeding and caring for it, but that will hurt the market over all. If you think you produce an animal that's worth $400, list it for $400. You put time and love and care into them, so don't sell yourself, or the snakes, short. If it is that good, it will show, and your buyers will pay that price for it because they want the good s you got.
    This ^^^^ People are constantly under cutting I listed a female spider albino several months ago at fair market price and got under cut lowered her to their price and they under cut again (sadly it was a larger breeder too, whom will remain nameless) I will be keeping her as a breeder, let them sell theirs for that mine is worth more to me than they dropped their price to

as for the op
    any recessive genetics sell and hold their value however it takes 2-3x as long to make so you have time and money tied up in it for several years before you make any money let alone profit
    I have kept snakes for over 20 years, was into ball pythons a long time and got out got back in 4 years ago and this season I finally was in the green by about $500 after all my expenses. still in the red if you count the 3 years before in that so no if you want money off these I personally would look elsewhere without dropping 25 grand or more on a new visual straight out of africa that no one else has you will be several years in the red before you can even begin to profit
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    And good luck even getting a chance to look at the $25K new hot gene straight out of Africa because the big boys have got so many connections to get their feet in the door first it's crazy. I'm really curious what breeder it was that was undercutting you though. you would think someone who's been in the business as long as most of them have KNOW what a bone head move that is for their future profits! I guess if you produce snakes like candy all the time you have enough inventory to sell it all back at rock bottom prices, but yeesh.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

kxr (03-21-2017)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast