Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

0 members and 2,824 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Overdue to lay, anyone have this long of a wait?

I have a Super Vanilla Pastel who has been a problem with breeding, and now she throws another one my way. Simply not breeding the last few seasons has been frustrating enough, but now she is overdue on the lay and I am debating if it is just her, or at this point she could be egg-bound.

She is starting day 46 past pre-lay-shed this morning. I have heard some people see them take up to 45 days, but at this point it is getting concerning.

I had an egg-bound snake about 6 years ago and she passed most and was only bound by 2 eggs. In trying to save her, we lost those eggs and she never recovered from the procedure well enough to where she had to be put down. If I wait to deal with the situation, this is what I fear will happen again. If it is not being bound, then I don't want to put the snake through any extra stress.

In 10 years I have not had a snake take this long to lay, so looking for input from anyone who has experienced this time span. Anybody else have experience with this long?

Thank you in advance for your input!!
    Ball Pythons.... I have a few

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a female go 45 days pos and one going 50.

It is our of the norm and need to be monitored vet closely, but it does happen.

If the female is very swell up and seems uncomfortable it is even more concerning.

How far are the eggs from the vent?

How is she laying right now, coiled with tail in or out?

One of my female ended up manipulating in water and she laid her egg a the next day if she had not I had already arrange to take her to the vet to get an idea of what is going on.

Now egg bound females, at least some of them can be dealt with at home, but it's not for everyone, I have done it on colubrids several times and probably could do it on a BP but never had to buy know some people who have.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    I've got a genetic stripe female that has never laid before day 45. Actually we're on day 45 waiting on a clutch from her now, so we should see eggs in a day or two. Seems to be the norm for her, but definitely not for all. As mentioned, monitor her closely.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Overdue to lay, anyone have this long of a wait?

I can't remember the exact number of days it was, but I had a girl go long and have two sheds between Ovulation and laying. I think while your is late it is not to a point of critical yet. Has she been contorting herself like a pretzel and pushing her eggs towards the vent? When they do that it is usually within a day form there.

Best of luck.