Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,732

2 members and 2,730 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How do you incubate yours?

There is a lot of reading material regarding incubation methods.

a lot of people do the raised above the vermiculite thing where the eggs are on egg crate, but does anyone incubate with their eggs directly in the vermiculite any more?

What are the pros and cons of the 2 please?

My frst eggs are due on 9th April or thereabouts and I am having serious nervous wobbles about the best way to incubate

Thanks xx
    Balls balls balls

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    The more things I can fool-proof for myself the better. Egg crate does that - you don't have to worry about getting the substrate too wet to mold your eggs while keeping humidity where it needs to be for the entire incubation period.

Yes, there are those that still place eggs directly in the substrate, but those are usually the folks who've been doing it that way for awhile with good results.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-24-2017),Creepy Alien (03-23-2017),embrit345 (03-23-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Been doing this ever since I started, never felt compelled to change a thing.

Put them in get them out 60 days later does not get simpler than that.

Pros: the eggs never get too wet, and never dry out (pretty much fool proof regardless of your experience), and no worry bout mixing anything.

Con: None
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks Eric, Deb

I have my egg crate etc all cut to size and in my tub inside the incubator. Temps and humidity are holding but have gone on a bit of a reading fest this last few days. I am a nervous wreck which I guess is normal for a first timer lol

The more I read, the more I am doubting myself and my ability to do this. I have successfully bred various gecko species in he past so shouldbe well versed in incubation methods and mediums by now but there is always going to be that touch of self doubt with the first time breeding a species.

Just the one pairing for me and it's quite an important one for me because i have always dreamt of owning a BEL so hope and pray to the odds Gods that this lesser x purple passion will give me at least 1 out of the egg xx
    Balls balls balls

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How do you incubate yours?

Quote Originally Posted by embrit345 View Post
    Thanks Eric, Deb

I have my egg crate etc all cut to size and in my tub inside the incubator. Temps and humidity are holding but have gone on a bit of a reading fest this last few days. I am a nervous wreck which I guess is normal for a first timer lol

The more I read, the more I am doubting myself and my ability to do this. I have successfully bred various gecko species in he past so shouldbe well versed in incubation methods and mediums by now but there is always going to be that touch of self doubt with the first time breeding a species.

Just the one pairing for me and it's quite an important one for me because i have always dreamt of owning a BEL so hope and pray to the odds Gods that this lesser x purple passion will give me at least 1 out of the egg xx
    We have all been there especially for the first ones, it gets better after a while you just don't think about it anymore, once you have your method down, just just do your thing put your eggs in and forget about them well except Eric he can't help but staring thinking they'll come out sooner.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-23-2017),Eric Alan (03-23-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    I also use the light diffuser over my substrate to help fool proof. Haven't had an issue or reason to try changing it up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    We have all been there especially for the first ones, it gets better after a while you just don't think about it anymore, once you have your method down, just just do your thing put your eggs in and forget about them well except Eric he can't help but staring thinking they'll come out sooner.
    Oh honestly Deb, I have my vivs and a small rack system in my living room and I must have my face in them all at least 10 times a day lol I will struggle so hard to refrain from peeking although I do have a clear sided incubator so that i can see directly into the tubs during incubation hahaha

I think egg watching will be my new full time job xxx
    Balls balls balls

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I do the light diffuser thing with 2 stacked on top of each other with no "substrate", just water. I used to use vermiculite under the diffuser but got lazy one day and stopped. Just the water works fine but you have to be careful if you have to move the tub so the eggs don't get wet.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    ...well except Eric he can't help but staring thinking they'll come out sooner.
    I can't even be mad about that. This is me with literally every clutch. That reminds me - that chair got thrown out after the last clutch of last season. I need a new incubator chair!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-24-2017),embrit345 (03-23-2017),Kcl (03-24-2017),Lizardlicks (03-23-2017),zina10 (03-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I do the light diffuser thing with 2 stacked on top of each other with no "substrate", just water.
    I've only hatched one clutch but this is the same thing I did. I tried using substrate at first and I couldn't get the humidity high enough. Also the substrate got a little messy...

Ill be doing this again this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast