Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,843

1 members and 2,842 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breeding snakes and rats under the same roof

We live in a small 1300 sq/ft home in Arizona. So I know in summer the garage would be too hot for anything to live well.

So my question is,

Would it be safe or ok if we were to keep our snakes in the living room and build our 6-12 tote Rat Rack in the guest room?

OR

Would the snakes being what they are and with their strons sense of smell. Be more prone to hunger fits (or strike) because of any possible smells coming from the back room in our 1,300 square foot house?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Not at all, they get used to the scent right away if it's always there. So you can set them up anywhere you want, even in the same room.

I don't breed, but I buy groups of rats for one of my snakes who has to eat live. I keep the rats and the snakes in the same room, and they're about 4 feet from each other. The snakes just chill. It doesn't affect their ability to feed or not feed in any way.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-20-2017 at 05:43 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-25-2017)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Breeding snakes and rats under the same roof

Quote Originally Posted by DADDYO1 View Post
    We live in a small 1300 sq/ft home in Arizona. So I know in summer the garage would be too hot for anything to live well.

So my question is,

Would it be safe or ok if we were to keep our snakes in the living room and build our 6-12 tote Rat Rack in the guest room?

OR

Would the snakes being what they are and with their strons sense of smell. Be more prone to hunger fits (or strike) because of any possible smells coming from the back room in our 1,300 square foot house?

Thank you.
    When I started rat breeding I had them literally next to eachother lol, no issues.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you both. With Arizona reaching many summer days around 130*. My wife restricted to what she can grow in her garden through summer. I was worried that breeding Rats on a larger scare would effect our Boa and Ball Pythons tempers by having a sent of pine bedoing or the smell of rats. And make them want to eat more.

Where we live. Buying rats or even mice for feeders is hard to find. And big pet stores seam to not want to sell to us when they learned the rats were food.

If they only knew were the store got their steaks, bacon and chickens from. Haha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DADDYO1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I have my snakes and rats in the same room, I feed my snakes when I'm cleaning out my rat and mouse cages. It seems to give them that much more of a feeding response.

I've always had a major problem with pine bedding and rats / mice. The pine smell is toxic to them, I had rats dropping like flies with pine bedding, just falling over dead. I've since switched to shredded paper, don't have any deaths now. And now that I've been using free shredded paper from work it's hard to justify the cost of any kind of other bedding. Pine chips, bedding pellets, commercial paper bedding, etc. is the number one major expense of breeding rats and mice. If you can get the bedding for free it will save you a lot of money.

Also, I find it's best to spray out the rat tubs every week with some kind of antibacterial to keep the smells down, you can't just change out bedding and expect the smells to go away. I used diluted Chlorhexidine, I've been using the same gallon for a long time, you can really dilute it down with water and it goes a long way. I just spray, let it soak for about five minutes, then spray out with water and dry with a towel. I do it every time I change the bedding, at least once per week. If I had more time I'd do it twice a week.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 03-20-2017 at 08:36 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I just posted this 2 weeks ago hahaha. I think its a couple threads down and since then I have had no problems. All the guys that replied set me strait. I do wash my hands and face good if not shower before I handle the snakes seeing how these darn Babies are so Cute Im always handling them hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Be careful,you don't want to get attached to them. It will make it hard to feed them off.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-28-2017)

Thanks

To late for that.. I've "Pardoned" the 3 in the pic above & the breeding couple hahahahaha.. I have the Breeder Pair in a 55gal and the Pardoned 3 females are going into a 60"x24"x36" 3 story Rat Manor I found on craigslist.. Im going to have to snap myself out of this as their adorable

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    To late for that.. I've "Pardoned" the 3 in the pic above & the breeding couple hahahahaha.. I have the Breeder Pair in a 55gal and the Pardoned 3 females are going into a 60"x24"x36" 3 story Rat Manor I found on craigslist.. Im going to have to snap myself out of this as their adorable

oh man...lol that's the golden rule of rat breeding! don't get attached haha.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-28-2017)

Thanks

I think ive lost my mind. The kids played on my emotions and its like a madhouse over here hahahahahaha

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast