Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

1 members and 3,077 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Gender

Thanks

Hey I know I seem to ask a lot, I just really like to ask about pretty much anything I can think about.

Anyways my new banana ball python is about a year and a half old, haven't weighed him but seems around 400 grams, bigger than my 200 gram 8 month old male, but smaller than my 700 gram unknown age male.

Breeder sold as male but as a last word of advice said to check cuz he was never quite sure and suspected it to be female. Reptile vets here are hard to come by and grandly expensive. Should I need one I wouldn't hesitate, but for something as simple Id rather try other options.

As I said Id like to know Mimikyu's gender. Ive tried to carefully pop my younger male first for practice and comparison but Im too scared to press much and end up doing nothing. Didn't even try for too long lest I stress him. If I wanted to probe Id never want to just find any old metal and stick it up there no matter how clean or non sharp, Id have to buy a kit, so any advice on good kits that ship to PR or any advice on popping would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Gender

Ok, so here's my advice. Do you buy food from a reptile oriented pet store or a general pet store? If you buy it from a pet store focused on dealing with reptiles ask them if you can bring mimikyu in someday and have someone sex him/her.

P.S. I love the name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kxr For This Useful Post:

LiadanCroft (03-19-2017)

Thanks

Sadly I get my food from the all too famous Petsmart. The man who gave me mimikyu had to rescue a poor hatchling that was on the brink of death and the only reason I buy his food there is because I dont have many other options. Will, however, see if I can find any thats great advice!

And thanks! ♡

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    A small probe set isn't pricey- I got mine for $10 or something off ebay, and just check the seller reviews! It's quite easy to probe young snakes too. There are good tutorials on youtube.

Or if you have a reptile show local to you soon, you can bring him in to check too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I use a probe with KY jelly, works great so far. I just had one snake that I didn't know, a big female normal ball python. 400 grams seems really small for a 1.5 year old, most of my ball pythons at that age are around 1000 grams.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts
    Just to touch on the diy snake sexing if you have never done it or even seen it done you would be better to find someone local ( maybe a breeder at a local show) who will be willing to help you. You can very easily injure the snake by probing or Popping if you do it wrong
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (03-20-2017),dr del (03-20-2017),embrit345 (03-21-2017),kxr (03-20-2017),PitOnTheProwl (03-21-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I would definitely think twice about trying to probe your animal yourself. YouTube videos are not the best place to start learning about how to be a DIY Vet. There's a reason schooling is required to be a Vet or a Vet Tech. This is a living creature, not and old lawnmower motor you're hoping to turn into a go-kart.

Thanks

Well at the last 2 comments, not to disregard any advice, but if thats what we yold everyone no one would ever become experienced in popping or probing. There wouldn't be anyone who is experienced because nobody would've begun doing it since they didn't have experience to begin with. That being said I am highly aware it's no simple busieness and its a real living creature and a very delicate body part, Im deathly scared to attempt it.

Again Im going with the option of searching for a reptutable breeder or someone of the sort in a reputable reptile pet shop or wait a year for the expo since whatever their gender I wpuld have a very strict no breeding before the age of 5 if any breeding were to be done at all. Eventually though I would like to get a proper probe kit and learn to do it myself. If done very carefully its effective and harmless. Thank you everyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiadanCroft View Post
    Well at the last 2 comments, not to disregard any advice, but if thats what we yold everyone no one would ever become experienced in popping or probing. There wouldn't be anyone who is experienced because nobody would've begun doing it since they didn't have experience to begin with. That being said I am highly aware it's no simple busieness and its a real living creature and a very delicate body part, Im deathly scared to attempt it.

Again Im going with the option of searching for a reptutable breeder or someone of the sort in a reputable reptile pet shop or wait a year for the expo since whatever their gender I wpuld have a very strict no breeding before the age of 5 if any breeding were to be done at all. Eventually though I would like to get a proper probe kit and learn to do it myself. If done very carefully its effective and harmless. Thank you everyone.

I never said don't do it I said find someone to teach you how to do it. it is a skill and like any skill you need to be shown how to do it without injuring the animal. after you have seen it done and have had someone teach you how to do it by all means have at it, my comment was do not just jump in or try to watch a video as it does not replace what someone can show you in person and I would not want to see you injure your snake I would be more than happy to show anyone whom asked how to pop a snake (I do not probe) so If I offended you I am sorry it was not my intention

As for breeding 3 is a better number to shoot for than 5 at 3 the female is large enough and mature enough it is at 2 that you need to watch but unless they are a stubborn eater 3 is good (males at a year)
    Last edited by StillBP; 03-21-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.