Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,445

0 members and 2,445 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Tragic day for my snakes.

Being a keeper of many snakes is hard. Most people dont understand it nor do they really care, which I can deal with just fine. But last night I came home from a long busy day, and found something terrible. Most people wont really understand it, but, I was devastated to find my thermostat failed to shut down once reaching the temp to which it was set. As a result it ran the heat tape all day non stop. I found 1 one my snakes, the caramel albino male dead. He was my daughters snake and truly a wonderful little. I also found my female pastel taking her last breath. They died from too much heat for too long. All of my other snakes seem fine, but I am completely devastated. These snakes are my pets, loved and cared for as people do dogs. I am really at a loss for words so many people just dont get or understand it, and some think im crazy for being so upset. My Daughter handled it fairly well, better than I have. Its just terrible. both in the fact I lost two loved pets, and that they were lost in such a horrific way.

I havent been on here in a good long while, but I wasnt sure where else to go to talk about such things.

In the wake of this tragedy, I will not let my love and care for my pets be broken. I plan on using this event as a catalyst for change, growth and new beginnings. I am going to see if I can find or build a thermostat with a raspberry pi or similar device. I want it to monitor and control temps on a per tub basis, have fail safe programming logic, and email/text alerts when something goes wrong. Too many times have i seen or heard of times that people like us loose animals, or worse a house burns down.

So I ask of anyone reading this that if they know of any thing similar that is out there, please let me know. If not let me know if this is something you may be interested in, and suggest features, or functions you would like. I cant promise a thing, but I know I as a keeper cant let this sort of thing happen to my pets again.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tcutting For This Useful Post:

chickenooget (03-20-2017),DLena (03-20-2017),Dumdum333 (03-20-2017),FollowTheSun (10-30-2019),L.West (03-20-2017),Marzipan (03-19-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-21-2017),Sonny1318 (03-20-2017),Trisnake (03-19-2017)

Thanks

Re: Tragic day for my snakes.

Really feel sorry for you man. Even for someone who has just one snake, I always freak out to see the temps are extremely off. Hopefully this never happens to you (or anybody) again. Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I am truly sorry for your loss. I wish I had something to say about thermostats but I'm a newbie myself and I'm barely getting my thermostats tomorrow. Reading this just gave me another reason to triple check my temperatures every day. I hope you feel better, I know how some people dont understand how we can love a snake, but everyone here does.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gc99 For This Useful Post:

rraelee (03-24-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So sorry for your and your daughter's loss.

Maybe chain two Herpstats together for the rack?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

i'm so sorry for you and your family's loss. i can't begin to imagine how you feel, but i know what it's like to feel people don't care about our beloved scale babies. i hope you're able to find peace and resolve, and to continue to love our legless pets the way you always have.

we're here for you. 😊
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    So sorry that's happened to you! That's so sad... I would be crying my eyes out.

What thermostat were you using? Herpstats are currently the hobby's top of the line thermostat with the most precise temp control and the most reliable... But being an electronic, of course things could still happen. Just a very, very low chance.

If you buy a herpstat 6 (or whichever one you need for however many snakes you have), you can technically control per tub if you make a separate plug for each heat tape for each level, or just buy multiple UTH's of the same size.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-19-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks
    I was using https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile...ank+thermostat which did a wonderful job for 5 years. until it didnt. I just check to verify what the failure was, it runs the heat no matter what, and turns the led indicator off once it reaches the set temp. there simply was no way for me to know beyond checking the obvious.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tcutting For This Useful Post:

rraelee (03-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    I was using https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile...ank+thermostat which did a wonderful job for 5 years. until it didnt. I just check to verify what the failure was, it runs the heat no matter what, and turns the led indicator off once it reaches the set temp. there simply was no way for me to know beyond checking the obvious.
    Exactly the one i was gonna buy, but i received advice from people here and i went for the Jumpstart

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    Oh no.. Yeah, I've learned not to go cheap on thermostats, but thankfully nothing terrible has happened with mine.

I started out the hobby with 3 jumpstarts. They just gradually became very inaccurate, and thankfully I was only able to keep track of this using a digital temp gun. They all became useless/dangerous to use within a year, so I updated to herpstats.

It's really true when people say not to go cheap on thermostats. If you want to invest more money in anything at all, the first thing should be the thermostat.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-19-2017 at 09:42 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

rraelee (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    I'm so so sorry for your loss. I know if I ever came home to that my heart would stop... I'd be devastated. I can only imagine what you're going through right now.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast