Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,388

2 members and 3,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New to Ball Pythons

Hi everyone. I'm new to owning a ball python. But here he is. He until I get a probe kit to find out for sure. I think i started an addiction. His name is Conner.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: New to Ball Pythons

Please do not probe that animal unless you have experience doing so. A visit to a reptile vet will determine the sex in a safe manner. Not saying you don't know how, just making and assumption based on you saying that you're new to ball pythons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-19-2017),embrit345 (03-24-2017),GoingPostal (03-20-2017),Trisnake (03-19-2017),tttaylorrr (03-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Please do not probe that animal unless you have experience doing so. A visit to a reptile vet will determine the sex in a safe manner. Not saying you don't know how, just making and assumption based on you saying that you're new to ball pythons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I've been looking up alot of info in general seen someone here posting how she sexes her bps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oreocupcake For This Useful Post:

danielwilu2525 (03-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oreocupcake View Post
    Thank you. I've been looking up alot of info in general seen someone here posting how she sexes her bps.

You still really shouldn't do it on your own, looking up how to do something on the internet and attempting vs watching/helping someone do it several times in person before attempting are way different. Don't try it, if you really must second guess the breeder on gender then get someone with experience to do it.

These snakes are living creatures and like any deserve more respect than to be idly experimented on; they can feel discomfort, they can feel pain, and they can be severely injured in many ways by improper probing. Just because youve had him for a little bit and have read up on a lot of info doesnt mean you're an expert and doesn't mean you have experience, you just got the animal, try getting the basics down and experience OWNING him for a little while before you even consider poking and prodding and sticking things in your snake. There really is no good reason to probe him other than you wanting to see if you can do it, and in my opinion thats a recipe for disaster and by FAR not worth the risk.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 03-19-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trisnake View Post
    You still really shouldn't do it on your own, looking up how to do something on the internet and attempting vs watching/helping someone do it several times in person before attempting are way different. Don't try it, if you really must second guess the breeder on gender then get someone with experience to do it.

These snakes are living creatures and like any deserve more respect than to be idly experimented on; they can feel discomfort, they can feel pain, and they can be severely injured in many ways by improper probing. Just because youve had him for a little bit and have read up on a lot of info doesnt mean you're an expert and doesn't mean you have experience, you just got the animal, try getting the basics down and experience OWNING him for a little while before you even consider poking and prodding and sticking things in your snake. There really is no good reason to probe him other than you wanting to see if you can do it, and in my opinion thats a recipe for disaster and by FAR not worth the risk.
    Thank you.

Thanks

Just realized I typed in Conner. His name is Cosmo lol. He just ate small ft mouse for me. He was looking hungry. Pet store told me he ate wed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Oreocupcake For This Useful Post:

MidSouthMorphs (03-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oreocupcake View Post
    Thank you.

Thank YOU for reading and considering what I've said

I'm sorry if I came down hard on you, I've just seen and heard of many new owners play snake vet and try stuff on their animals without considering the what ifs, and the snake nearly ALWAYS pays the most for it, sometimes the ultimate price.

People trying to remove stuck sheds with tape and literally skinning their animals, trying to remove retained eye caps with tape or tweezers and accidentally pulling the eye out or stabbing it in, probing their animals incorrectly and crushing hemipenes/other sex organs or even perforating the organs by forcing a probe into a struggling animal.... the list goes on. You seem like you quite enjoy and care about your ball python (whatever gender they are) and I'm sure you didn't mean any harm by wanting to attempt probing, I just felt the need to clearly outline how bad of an idea that is (risk to benefit wise) and make it clear why. Thank you so much for being open to hearing other people's thoughts and opinions, and considering them.

p.s. Cosmo is a cute name lol
    Last edited by Trisnake; 03-19-2017 at 09:17 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trisnake For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trisnake View Post
    Thank YOU for reading and considering what I've said

I'm sorry if I came down hard on you, I've just seen and heard of many new owners play snake vet and try stuff on their animals without considering the what ifs, and the snake nearly ALWAYS pays the most for it, sometimes the ultimate price.

People trying to remove stuck sheds with tape and literally skinning their animals, trying to remove retained eye caps with tape or tweezers and accidentally pulling the eye out or stabbing it in, probing their animals incorrectly and crushing hemipenes/other sex organs or even perforating the organs by forcing a probe into a struggling animal.... the list goes on. You seem like you quite enjoy and care about your ball python (whatever gender they are) and I'm sure you didn't mean any harm by wanting to attempt probing, I just felt the need to clearly outline how bad of an idea that is (risk to benefit wise) and make it clear why. Thank you so much for being open to hearing other people's thoughts and opinions, and considering them.

p.s. Cosmo is a cute name lol
    Yeah i realized I was getting ahead of myself there. So i needed to take a step back. I've done the same thing before as I used to be experienced in ferrets. So i would warn and caution people about them as well.
    Thank you I do appreciate it.

Thanks
    cosmo is an awesome name!
    "Keep in mind I am sharing what I have learned and what my experiences have taught me. I am not an expert, and it's always good to weigh varying perspectives... Doing it "correctly" often means balancing what works for others with what works for you, given your parameters and observations."

Family Critter List: Bumblebee BP, Fire Spider BP, Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Planted Aquarium, Red-Foot Tortoise, Dwarf Hamster, Holland Lop Rabbit, 6 egg laying chickens, 37 in freezer camp, last but not least Flap Jack, our Pit mix rescue dog who keeps everyone in line.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I love the name Cosmo, it's actually on my list of potential names for one of my new animals someday. Gotta be the right animal with the right look and demeanor though, so I'm waiting for the right pet
    And I'm glad you seem to have taken the advice of other members and no longer intend to probe your guy/girl. It's just not worth the risk.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Oreocupcake (03-20-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast