Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,821

0 members and 2,821 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Finally got my BP!

I've wanted a snake since I was about 6, but my mum's always had a very strict 'no dead rats in the freezer' rule! Fell in love with ball pythons in particular when I was 11 (my dad took me to a visit a friend who ran a reptile rescue and I met a couple). 15 years later my finances and housing are stable enough and I've been lurking the forums for a few months, gathering advice. After putting my viv together, getting the conditions spot on and (very importantly) getting my partner's fear of snakes down to a 'you can have one in the bedroom as long as the viv has a lock' level, I finally got my baby this week! It's been a very long journey.

So, first post! He's a pastel and his name is Smaug (I grew up on copious re-reads of Tolkien- it's the name I had in mind since I was little)

Any tips to make sure his first feeding goes smoothly once he's settled in? I'm feeding f/t, breeder had him on rat pups so I'll carry on with those. He seems very relaxed (had explored his whole viv and chosen a good hiding spot in the first half hour) and I'm probably worrying about nothing but it's the bit I've been dreading going wrong, so advice is much appreciated!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arcticae For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-18-2017),EDR (03-18-2017),Marzipan (03-18-2017),rock (03-18-2017),Slither Seeker (03-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: Finally got my BP!

Nice pastel congrats to you and your patience to finally own one. It seems like you got things down so some of the only advise i got is feeding at night is better and if its a boy when he gets older he'll probably take feeding breaks more so don't freak out if he stops eating for a while. Right now my mystic potion is taking a bit of a feeding break but i'm not letting it get to me ..yet anyway.
    Last edited by EDR; 03-18-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Congratulations!

So refreshing to see that you did your research ahead of time, and have been so patient before getting your first ball python! Just a warning though, with snakes it's hard to have just 1. Next moment before you realize it you may end up with 11, although you seem very disciplined so maybe you won't have that problem Congrats on your little pastel beauty!
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Thanks

Wink Re: Finally got my BP!

My boy is on F/T and started fasting two months ago, its been nerve wrecking cause he's my first but after reaching out on here its normal for them to fast for up to three months and wreak havoc on your nerves lol. Some say to feed outside of the main tank, but me personally I've never had any issues feeding in his main. I suppose it just depends on the temperament of the BP.

Thanks
    Beauty! Congrats!!!
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks
    beautiful! congrats on fulfilling a life long wish and getting prepared ahead of time!
    "Keep in mind I am sharing what I have learned and what my experiences have taught me. I am not an expert, and it's always good to weigh varying perspectives... Doing it "correctly" often means balancing what works for others with what works for you, given your parameters and observations."

Family Critter List: Bumblebee BP, Fire Spider BP, Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Planted Aquarium, Red-Foot Tortoise, Dwarf Hamster, Holland Lop Rabbit, 6 egg laying chickens, 37 in freezer camp, last but not least Flap Jack, our Pit mix rescue dog who keeps everyone in line.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Beautiful first snake. Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Thanks
    Thanks all ^^ hopefully everything will go as planned and I'll be able to keep this thread updated with a bit of a progression as he grows. He's such a tiny thing right now.
    As for more snakes, I don't have the space right now for another viv (had to do a decent amount of diy to squeeze my 2x4 ft in as it is) so the other half should be spared from that XD I don't think I did a good enough job as snake advocate to make him comfortable with a room full!

Thanks

I did it!

Got him to eat last night! He didn't take it when I first offered (he was behind his log) but he had moved into his hot hide when I woke in the middle of the night I so tried again. Immediate strike and it was gone when I woke up and checked this morning. Victory!