Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,676

3 members and 2,673 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When doing breeding loan the female goes to the male and not the opposite this allows the owner of the male to make sure that his male is used with one female and one female only, the owner will also likely use his male during the season.

Now the idea of breeding loan is that it will benefit both parties, loaning a Het Pied female to someone is really not that great of a benefit for anyone, anyone that has to the very least a male pied can afford a female het pied. With prices of $50 for an hatchling and $200/$300 for a proven breeder this would not be worth the risk or headache for anyone

Breeding loans are generally done with high end animals unless a friend really wants to do you a favor.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I've discussed this with a friend, but we've heard enough bad stories about these kinds of arrangements that we decided we'd only do it if both parties signed a NOTARIZED AGREEMENT. And even so, there's no guaranteeing things won't go sour... breeding is so random anyway, and it's hard to know what you're actually agreeing on in advance.

That said... I actually gifted a piebald male to a different friend as a PhD graduation present. (She earned it, TRUST ME.) We have a standing agreement that I can use him to stud future clutches. My friend isn't terribly interested in keeping any of the babies, so that helps.
    -Jackie Monk

Thanks

Re: Breeding...rentals??

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    What state are you in? How big is your female and how old, how much does she weigh?
    She is only a year old and weights about 600 grams. So this would be a while down the road yet. She would need to at least double in weight and age another year minimum. I live in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by piedlover79 View Post
    The real problem with breeding just for the experience (particularly when your snake is only het for pied) is that you could end up with snake that are hard to rehome. Whoever has the male pied is also likely to be uninterested in any of the het pied hatchlings (the males are even harder to place). Finding homes for hets is getting harder and harder particularly if you're not a known breeder (people are less likely to believe that your animal is het). If you're going to breed you need to have a plan for 'unwanted' hatchlings. You also have to be prepared for what needs to be done if hatchling comes out severely deformed.
    Yeah that has been one of the major negative points for me. I don't want to have a clutch and then not have a person who would give them a good home. There person I would probably do a loan to would be a friend of mine who works/owns a reptile store. So I would probably be able to let him find a home. But still....

I do appreciate the advice tho guys.
    Last edited by Sjm5161; 03-18-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks

The only time I've thought about this, and in a way that would've worked for us. Was when a buddy and I got our first ball pythons. We both wanted to breed them when they got old enough just for the experience. And neither one of us really cared who would get what. But then we learned that his snake couldn't breed as its a dessert spider, to me it looks like a gorgeous high white spider that has held her color well up to 12-1400g so far. So being a dessert she's just a pet. So I bought my own females to breed.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I recently did a breeding loan with a friend. We had both acquired our snakes from the same breeder and both were quarantined at the same time. I have a lesser female, they have a purple passion male. Once qt was up, I brought their male here and used him to stud my lesser on the agreement that any incurring issues would be my responsibility and that they will receive a BEL from the clutch ONLY if there is more than 1 bel hatch xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Balls balls balls

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12