Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,884

1 members and 2,883 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Unnamed Unsexed Petstore Bought Ghost Corn

I went to the petstore and saw three beautiful snakes. One normal ball python hatchling. Who had shed stuck all over his face and was refusing to eat without any hides. A cute little hognose and a little ghost Corn without any hides.

I almost got the baby ball python to rescue him from certain doom (I don't really trust pet stores), but my husband fell for the corn snake.

He/she has some stuck shed, but just ate reportedly. The petstore is one that will give the snakes out to be held.

They are unsexed, unnamed, and my first corn.

My first impression was this:

Very scared. Both peed on me and let off a strong musk while transferring him from the box to his new home.

His new home is a 20L Tank currently with paper towel substrate for quarantine, warm side is still being adjusted correctly. But ambient temp is at 78-ish. Humidity needs adjusted (at 30%), but I just installed a humidifier into the room so both my snakes should be at proper humidity soon. (My BP had his own) and two hides with a water bowl between them.

Any advice for corn handling? He's much more hyper than Cookie. And very tiny. They said maybe 6 weeks old

Herp Derp

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Unnamed Unsexed Petstore Bought Ghost Corn

Cute new little corn, they are great snakes. 20gallon is pretty big for a baby corn, I usually kept them in shoebox tubs for the first year or small exoterras. Same deal for any new snake regarding handling - leave him alone for a few weeks and only interact to remove for cage cleaning and opening cage to offer food.

Sometimes baby corns can be picky starters but if he's already established then that is a good sign. Corns are active little wrigglers and don't normally just chill in your hand like a BP will. Generally they are docile and sweet snakes but as babies, they get nervous easy and may be puffy and get into 'cobra stance' to try to scare you off. They usually grow out of that (although I have one still that will bite me every chance she can get).

This is Quartz, a ghost motley I used to have, when he was a baby trying to act like a tough guy

But generally they are nice ambassador snakes. Here I am showing Ruby (a sunglow motley corn I used to have) to someone at a reptile show

Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post

But no current boyfriend.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post
    but my husband fell for the corn snake.
    holy smokes, well, congrats!
    For the Horde!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congrats but the tank is too big considering it's size, humidity is perfect I would not change it (ambient humidity is all that is required), temps are fine 75 on the cool side and 82/84 is really optimum.

Advice on corn handling like any colubrids they can be in your hand 1 min and gone the next they are fast do not put it down on a bed or the floor, in your hand at all time, do not restrict (unless you want to be musked or bit) simply let it slither moving your hands as it goes.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-16-2017),KingWheatley (03-16-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Cute new little corn, they are great snakes. 20gallon is pretty big for a baby corn, I usually kept them in shoebox tubs for the first year or small exoterras. Same deal for any new snake regarding handling - leave him alone for a few weeks and only interact to remove for cage cleaning and opening cage to offer food.

Sometimes baby corns can be picky starters but if he's already established then that is a good sign. Corns are active little wrigglers and don't normally just chill in your hand like a BP will. Generally they are docile and sweet snakes but as babies, they get nervous easy and may be puffy and get into 'cobra stance' to try to scare you off. They usually grow out of that (although I have one still that will bite me every chance she can get).

This is Quartz, a ghost motley I used to have, when he was a baby trying to act like a tough guy

But generally they are nice ambassador snakes. Here I am showing Ruby (a sunglow motley corn I used to have) to someone at a reptile show

holy smokes, well, congrats!
    Yea he has been my friend for a while. Over a year. Still rather fast. But after having time to get over Ryan, I gave him a chance and I'm really glad I did.

Also that cobra stance of attitude is so adorable gdi

Herp Derp

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Corns are great snakes, lots of fun. Definitely VERY quick and can fit pretty much anywhere and will if given the chance. When handling, always keep them in your hands like Deborah said. I have two, and one will still rattle his tail every now and then to look tough, but he's still a juvenile, and it has decreased with time (only about two months). Neither have ever lunged or anything of the sort, and I've only been musked twice. Once was the day I took him home and moved him from his deli cup to his enclosure and the other was while he was in shed.
    Good luck with your new little guy/girl!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (03-19-2017)

Thanks

Agreed, a 20L is just too big for a baby corn. I would probably go with a 6" or 8" tall Cambro (food service) tub, maybe even a half-size footprint if it's a tiny baby. Visibility is nice for us, but babies like the security of opaque sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Eh. The 20 gallon can suite the baby as long as you provide lots of clutter. Two hides isn't going to cut it. Get fake foliage. Put tons of toilet paper or paper towel tubes in there. Ambient tempt is a bit warm considering their warm spot should be no more than 85 degrees. I've found that ambient temperature being cool doesn't bother a corn snake so much. In winter my house will drop to 66-68* and the corns do fine with their warm spot.

Thanks

I just wanted to share this fricken precious gem of a photo...

THOSE EYES... my heart cannot take this!

Herp Derp

Thanks
    Awe! He's so cute!
    Snakes:
    ~Ball Pythons: 1.0 Spider (Corkii) --- 1.0 Mojave (Meeko) --- 1.0 Bumblebelly (Pringle) --- 0.1 Normal (Fraggles) --- 0.1 Lesser Enchi (Khaleesi) --- 1.0 Pied (Piper)
    ~Cornsnakes: 0.1 Tessera.het Amel Motley (Twiglet) --- 1.0 Amel (Wotsit)
    ~Hognose: 0.0.1 Normal.66%hetAlbino (Waffle)
    ~Boa: 0.1 Normal (Medusa)
    ~Spotted Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Bredlis Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Burmese Python: 0.1 Granite (Skittles)
    Lizards:
    ~Crested Geckos: 1.0 Buckskin Dalmatian (Rex) --- 0.1 Orange Dalmatian (Apollo) --- 1.1 Harlequin (Cosmos / Nova) --- 1.0 Extreme Harlequin (Dino) --- 1.1 Halloween Partial Pin (Pumpkin/Unnamed) --- 1.0 Red and Cream partial pin (unnamed)
    ~Leopard Gecko: 1.0 Hypo (Dave)
    ~Bearded Dragon: 0.1 Red Leatherback.hetTrans
    ~Ackie Monitor: 0.0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Jewled Lecarta 1.0 (Wizard)
    Others:
    Tortoise, Dog, Tarantulas, Parrot