Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

1 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Moving To China (Beijing) with ball

In August I am taking an adventure to live in Beijing for a year. My boyfriend and our pets are coming with us but we could use some advice, guidance... anything anyone could offer really. We are currently living in California and will be *hopefully* flying out of San Francisco. I have a ball python, he is about a year and a half old, his name is Banaunners and my boyfriend has a leopard gecko. Both pets are healthy but I'm more concerned about my python because there seems to be lots of redtape involving pythons. Any information is helpful.

Some things I've been thinking about is if shipping or traveling with our pets is best? Any suggestions on that also welcome.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    If you are going to only be gone a year, I would find someone to do some extended pet sitting for you. The risks and problems that may arise are just not worth it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-31-2017)

Thanks

Re: Moving To China (Beijing) with ball

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    If you are going to only be gone a year, I would find someone to do some extended pet sitting for you. The risks and problems that may arise are just not worth it.
    It's definitely something I'm considering. The issues I'm habing, other than finding someone I trust who is willing, is that a year in china could easily evolve into a longer stay. Life is weird and the ultimate goal is moving to china long term. The other problem is that Faust has some medical issues and a gimp foot and we're worried about him in someone else's care. He is very healthy right now but we'd only trust someone experienced.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Have you looked into China's regulations for keeping exotic (foreign) snake species? I'm pretty sure you need a license to own a ball python in China. But don't quote me on that, maybe it's different for non-citizens.

Imo you will need to plan where to reliably get feeders for your ball python. I don't think owning snakes in China is very common like it is here.

I'm assuming you can read chinese:
    http://www.vastlaw.com/dongtai/benshuo/2015/07/859.html
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-16-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Oh hey, I just found this facebook group, 香港球蟒交易分享區. I'm sure they could answer all your questions there very well LOL

https://www.facebook.com/groups/379918378767412/

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

First you need to find out if you can own a Ball Python as a pet in China.

Second you will have to find a breeder here in the us who can export and is familiar with the CITES.

Proper paperwork and shipping will run you about $1000

Of course when in China you will have to do the same once you plan to return to the US, which means find a trustworthy breeder that can export and is familiar with CITES as well.

You will have to make sure that you can find a food source as well.

Not an easy operation and definitely not a cheap one.

If I was only leaving for a year I would leave my animals in someone's care until I return, and if things changed and I decided to stay (lot of hoops to jump through to live and work legally long term in another country) I would get them shipped to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Have you looked into China's regulations for keeping exotic (foreign) snake species? I'm pretty sure you need a license to own a ball python in China. But don't quote me on that, maybe it's different for non-citizens.

Imo you will need to plan where to reliably get feeders for your ball python. I don't think owning snakes in China is very common like it is here.

I'm assuming you can read chinese:
    http://www.vastlaw.com/dongtai/benshuo/2015/07/859.html
    I can't read Mandarin, it's a work in progress. It's growing in popularity in china but how legal it is seems to be debated... I am having problems finding a clear answer.

Thanks
    its not legal in china unless you can prove that your animal was produce by a breeding facility licensed by the government, at which point you still have to obtain a keeper's license. Reptiles are growing in popularity in china, many are smuggled in everyday. Even though its illegal its hard to really get caught, there is no real active enforcement unless they are complains.

However because you are trying to get your ball legally across the border and legally back, I would say its a lost cause…..best to look into boarding options
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't event trust the human food in China, I certainly wouldn't trust that any feeder rodents would be raised on a proper nutritional diet. Your leopard gecko might have a better chance; keeping insectivorous songbirds has been a popular hobby since ancient times, and so good insect feeders will probably be easier to come by.

Have you ever been to Beijing before? Don't want to scare you, but the pollution there is crazy. My sister lives in Shanghai, which isn't nearly as bad, but on a smoggy day you can barely see the buildings across the street. She's been there for a few years now, and can't wait to leave. Once you're living there, you may not want to stay much longer than 1 year.

I'd say board for at least a few months no matter what. Even if you have the opportunity to stay long term and decide to do so, you'll have an easier time getting your snakes over there once you're established, and possibly meet some people over there who can help you through the process.
    Last edited by hhw; 03-31-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hhw For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-31-2017),bcr229 (03-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I would also look for a long-term pet sitter. They can be found, just ask around or keep an eye on your local Facebook reptile forums to get a feel for who has a clue and would be a responsible pet sitter, and who wouldn't.

Heck I'm caring for 10 slithers that aren't even mine at the moment.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (03-31-2017)