Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,017

2 members and 3,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well, figure I'll jump in again lol. The problem isnt the size of your boa. The problem is the amount of food you are feeding said boa for his size. A 4' boa should in no way be eating a large rat. Most 4' boas are on small rats. Now this is assuming your larges are the same as most everyone elses larges which can vary from source to source. But for me, larges are around 220-250g. That is what my 6.5' boa eats every 3-4 weeks.

And like i said before, just because the time frame you feed is acceptable, the size of the prey might not be. That combo will still equal to overfeeding. You need to balance out the size of the prey AND the time frame you feed.

Also, boas are ALWAYS hungry. They are opportunistic feeders. They will pretty much never turn down a meal as they dont know when the next one may come. In the wild they sometimes go months without food. This trait in them makes them both a pleasure to deal with and a pain at the same time. My boas always act hungry. The minute the doors are slid open, they perk up and think dinner is coming. When they realize it's my hand and not a juicy rat, quail or rabbit, they sulk and continue on. You cant judge your feeding based on the snake as you will end up going broke from buying food and have a scaled stuffed sausage with a head that dies in 5-10 years.

And like Gio said, overfeeding can manifest before it shows up externally. Meaning that boas build up fat around their organs first, then it shows up on the body. So by the time you see your squarish boa turn into a stuffed sausage, they damage has already been done internally on the liver and heart.

But anyways, like i was more or less trying to say, a large rat for a 4' boa is WAY too much. Even a medium rat for a 4' boa is too much. My 5.5' sunglow like i mentioned eats medium rats every 3-4 weeks. People are just trying to shed light for you but some people just have learn by hands on. If you continue feeding the way you are, you are going to have a very thick boa with a tiny pinhead that will require rabbits or 3 large rats to fill up by your standards.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-06-2017),bcr229 (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Average boa size?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well, figure I'll jump in again lol. The problem isnt the size of your boa. The problem is the amount of food you are feeding said boa for his size. A 4' boa should in no way be eating a large rat. Most 4' boas are on small rats. Now this is assuming your larges are the same as most everyone elses larges which can vary from source to source. But for me, larges are around 220-250g. That is what my 6.5' boa eats every 3-4 weeks.

And like i said before, just because the time frame you feed is acceptable, the size of the prey might not be. That combo will still equal to overfeeding. You need to balance out the size of the prey AND the time frame you feed.

Also, boas are ALWAYS hungry. They are opportunistic feeders. They will pretty much never turn down a meal as they dont know when the next one may come. In the wild they sometimes go months without food. This trait in them makes them both a pleasure to deal with and a pain at the same time. My boas always act hungry. The minute the doors are slid open, they perk up and think dinner is coming. When they realize it's my hand and not a juicy rat, quail or rabbit, they sulk and continue on. You cant judge your feeding based on the snake as you will end up going broke from buying food and have a scaled stuffed sausage with a head that dies in 5-10 years.

And like Gio said, overfeeding can manifest before it shows up externally. Meaning that boas build up fat around their organs first, then it shows up on the body. So by the time you see your squarish boa turn into a stuffed sausage, they damage has already been done internally on the liver and heart.

But anyways, like i was more or less trying to say, a large rat for a 4' boa is WAY too much. Even a medium rat for a 4' boa is too much. My 5.5' sunglow like i mentioned eats medium rats every 3-4 weeks. People are just trying to shed light for you but some people just have learn by hands on. If you continue feeding the way you are, you are going to have a very thick boa with a tiny pinhead that will require rabbits or 3 large rats to fill up by your standards.

Thank you for all of this useful information. I have found it to be a great help. I just acquired my red tail male a few weeks ago and I have been wondering what kind of feeding schedule to put him on. Your schedule makes sense to me seeing as I do not want an overweight and lazy boa. You seem to have great knowledge of these snakes and I really appreciate your advice not knowing all that much about these snakes myself. I have strictly dealt with ball pythons for 8 years but I wanted a boa for a long time and I wanted to wait until I felt I was ready for a bigger snake.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (07-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Maybe you have a Burm

Seriously though that's pretty fast growth I'd say .

My adult Snow Boa is about 6years old and around 7' ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mine is about 5 years and is about 6'6" and weighs about 11lbs, weighing him is kind of an ordeal.

Sent from my 5056W using Tapatalk
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Banned
    Thanks

I want to post a new update about the growth level of my now a year and a half old male BCI. I just measured him, he is now 153 cm long (5 feet, 60 inch). and he weighs 2036 gramms (4,48 lbs). The last time i measured him was before 7 months and he was 130 cm long(4,26 feet, 51 inch). and he weighed 1358 gramms (2,99 lbs). so he grew 3,28 cm (1,29 inch) a month.

Banned
    Thanks

I have to correct myself. Last time i measured him was before 4 months(I just reviewed this thread). And he was 130 cm long(4,26 feet, 51 inch). and he weighed 1358 gramms (2,99 lbs). So he grew 5,75 cm (2,26 inch) a month. If this growth level continues, he will reach 2,53 meter (8,3 feet) when he is 3 years old.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234