Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,596

2 members and 1,594 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    If that snake is a boa and reaches 8' in its first 3 years, you should contact Ripley's assuming you arent power feeding it and assuming it lives to that age. Generally, power fed boas usually dont break the 5 year mark. My largest female is about 5 years old and 6.5'. I still think there is something wrong with those numbers though as none of my boas have ever grown than fast. Those numbers are like how fast my retic has grown but he is a python and eats every week.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-26-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Average boa size?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    I have decided to post an update about the growth level of my 14 months old male BCI. I just measured him, he is now 130 cm long (4,26 feet, 51 inch). and he weighs 1358 gramms (2,99 lbs). He is growing 5 cm(1,96 inch) every month on average. If this growth level continues, he will reach 2,40 meter (8 feet) when he is 3 years old. To my knowledge, snakes grow rapidly until they reach 3 years old. The growth level would slow a bit between the third and fourth year. And it will be very slow after the fourth year.
    You may want to slow down... just because they can reach that size at that age doesn't mean they *should*. A fast grown boa may have a shortened life span.

Boas do continue to grow their entire lives. You are correct it does typically slow down a lot after 4-5yrs. I got a 9yr old at 5.5' boa and when she died at 28 yrs of age she was 8.5'.

Maybe this is hard to believe.. The parents of my BCI were 13 years old when he was born.
    I am curious, why is that hard to believe? One of my girls didn't have her first litter until she was 16.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 07-04-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: formatting
    For the Horde!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-26-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    If that snake is a boa and reaches 8' in its first 3 years, you should contact Ripley's assuming you arent power feeding it and assuming it lives to that age. Generally, power fed boas usually dont break the 5 year mark. My largest female is about 5 years old and 6.5'. I still think there is something wrong with those numbers though as none of my boas have ever grown than fast. Those numbers are like how fast my retic has grown but he is a python and eats every week.
    Im not power feeding my snake. I want him to reach over 40 of age. i,m not feeding him every week. You should not set a standard out of your boas. I have no reason to lie in such a forum. im not using my real name, not looking for fame or something. Why would i lie?

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

If that snake is a boa and reaches 8' in its first 3 years, you should contact Ripley's .
    It is very possible for them to reach that size that quickly, but yes they *generally* die before reaching 10 years.
    For the Horde!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    You may want to slow down... just because they can reach that size at that age doesn't mean they *should*. A fast grown boa may have a shortened life span. B

oas do continue to grow their entire lives. You are correct it does typically slow down a lot after 4-5yrs. I got a 9yr old at 5.5' boa and when she died at 28 yrs of age she was 8.5'.

I am curious, why is that hard to believe? One of my girls didn't have her first litter until she was 16.
    i meant the small size of the parents of my snake compared with the large size of my snake is hard to believe

Thanks

Im not power feeding my snake. I want him to reach over 40 of age. i,m not feeding him every week. You should not set a standard out of your boas. I have no reason to lie in such a forum. im not using my real name, not looking for fame or something. Why would i lie?
    I'm using my snakes as the standard because they are the standard of most average boas. Your boa if the growth is right is far from standard and is actually more in line with a boa that is being power fed which is why i made the comment. Sure boas go through growth spurts but almost 2" a month is beyond fast. With that kind of growth, he would be shedding every 1-2 months. I could see shedding like that from a baby but a 4.25' boa is far from a baby. Most at that length are 2-3 years old.

I never said you 'lied'. I said you could have gotten your measurements wrong or have been given wrong info about the age. No need to get defensive.

And as for the parents being 13 years old at giving birth, you shouldnt even consider breeding a boa until it is around 6 years old imo. 10 year old breeders are nothing special. My Pokigron girls parents were 10 years old when she was born.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 07-04-2017 at 06:08 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (07-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    It is very possible for them to reach that size that quickly, but yes they *generally* die before reaching 10 years.
    Oh i know. I've seen people do it and then breed them as they are mostly just concerned with pumping out litters vs having a long lived 'pet'.

Banned
    Thanks

I'm using my snakes as the standard because they are the standard of most average boas. Your boa if the growth is right is far from standard and is actually more in line with a boa that is being power fed which is why i made the comment. Sure boas go through growth spurts but almost 2" a month is beyond fast. With that kind of growth, he would be shedding every 1-2 months. I could see shedding like that from a baby but a 4.25' boa is far from a baby. Most at that length are 2-3 years old.

I never said you 'lied'. I said you could have gotten your measurements wrong or have been given wrong info about the age. No need to get defensive.

And as for the parents being 13 years old at giving birth, you shouldnt even consider breeding a boa until it is around 6 years old imo. 10 year old breeders are nothing special. My Pokigron girls parents were 10 years old when she was born.
    Between 19 December 2016 and 27 June 2017, he shed 6 times. I told you before, i have his identification papers with me. I know the breeder personally. i was there when he was born. i have him since he was a month old. You know what? since the begining i feed him live. again, im not power feeding him. twice a month on average. He is too powerful now that medium rats are not enough for him. the last rat that he ate i would categorize it as large, not extra large though.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Ok bud .... don't get too stressed . I don't think anyone is doubting your word or anything .

Sounds like you're gonna end up with a flamin' huge Boa !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Lol ok, calm down and breath. You sure you have a boa and not a retic lol? The growth and feeding sound exactly like what i did for my retic who at 14 months old is on jumbo rats. And if it is a boa, then grats, you got a 1%er boa that will at that rate, grow into probably a record size boa that will rival anacondas, retics and burms.

And thats incredible that a 14 month old is too large for medium rats. At 14 months, pretty much all my boas were graduating to weaned/small rats. My 3.5 year old 5.5' sunglow female is on medium rats every 3-4 weeks.

I would like to see a pic of this titanoboa lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 07-04-2017 at 06:47 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

ShaneSilva (07-11-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast