Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,176

2 members and 1,174 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

New emerald tree boa ADULT

Just received my new emerald tree boa and introduced him to his new home. He explored a small bit then found his large cork half log and has coiled up beneath it on the floor of the enclosure.
    I know he has to get used to enclosure but he made no attempt as of yet to find his nice warm spot perch (90 F). ambient temps are 80 to 82 and humidity is at 80. Enclosure is 3'x3'x18". He is wild caught and has eaten twice at the pet store before my purchase of him.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    Last edited by Fusion; 03-14-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks

Re: New emerald tree boa ADULT

So I guess my question is it normal for them to not want to get to hot spot soon after getting into their new enclosure?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Most likely the hot spot is too hot. Most people treat them with the same temps/husbandry as GTP, and the hot spot for adults should actually be about 83~85, with the coolest end being 75.

The other possibility is unfit perches (either too small or too large or too "angled"). Maybe post a pic of the enclosure?

Do you know how long he has been in captivity and was he ever treated for parasites or injuries (broken ribs, etc)? There are always these risks of unknowns with unreliably sourced wild caught/farm bred specimen.

And sometimes, males just ground themselves... even if everything else is on point.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-14-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

He has 2 perches one at around 82 F in a lower part of the cage as well, sorry I failed to mention that. He was captive at least 3 months and ate twice and is due for his third feeding this week.. As far as I know he was not treated for parasites.
    He was on display in front of snakes at sunset and was shipped to me early this morning. Treatment for injuries I don't think so. I did put him in bottom of cage and he did explore before just coiling at the bottom in a hide I have there. Pictures were sent to me prior to purchase and he looked happy and healthy. He still looks fine now.
    And he is a male. He was on a perch at the pet store but in a much smaller enclosure he has ample room now , maybe why he's a bit reluctant to check his perch out?

Last edited by Fusion; 03-14-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    He has 2 perches one at around 82 F in a lower part of the cage as well, sorry I failed to mention that. He was captive at least 3 months and ate twice and is due for his third feeding this week.. As far as I know he was not treated for parasites.
    He was on display in front of snakes at sunset and was shipped to me early this morning. Treatment for injuries I don't think so. I did put him in bottom of cage and he did explore before just coiling at the bottom in a hide I have there. Pictures were sent to me prior to purchase and he looked happy and healthy. He still looks fine now.
    And he is a male.
    Maybe you can post a pic of the enclosure?

I would still lower the heating so that the hot spot is 85 and the cool side is 75.

I have no personal experience with treating WC animals, but I'd start him on a deworming schedule... find a herp vet, or you can ask reputable ETB breeders who import about dosage.

If you have a facebook, I'd join "the green tree python and emerald tree boa group" and people with lots of experience can help you out there. Sometimes a male will just ground themselves for a little while, but seeing as this is a wild caught animal that probably hasn't been evaluated or treated for anything at all, there are more factors to consider. 3 months in captivity is very short.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-14-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks

Last edited by Fusion; 03-14-2017 at 05:29 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fusion For This Useful Post:

KAndromeda86 (08-17-2018)