Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

2 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: This is my Bredli. There are many like it...

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Congrats on the successful first feeding Rock. It's always nice when they eat right away. My female albino took almost a month to get going. That's one fierce little beastie you have there bud. I feel bad for the poor widdle mouse though . I think that's the biggest reason why I feed f/t.
    Thank you, thank you. I truly feel relieved when they eat because I feel like I've at least provided an adequate environment for them to feel comfortable.

And, yes, he does seem to be a fierce little beastie! Yeah, the poor little mouse. This one in particular was named Lil' Jon Cena. Never a good outcome. We've had a few Mighty Mouse, though, that have jumped about 6 inches in the air to avoid strikes. It will be good to move to f/t. I try to limit the kids involvement but they are curious when it's a first feeding.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Even f/t ones have the chance to get you. I was passing out rodents last night, and one rat pup looked so nice, like it was just taking a nap. Pretty, clean, soft white fur. I felt bad for it (sheepishly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it's not like feeding pellets or veggies. They are pretty cute. It's best when they are wrapped up quickly and completely.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Thanks

It's been almost a week and he fed properly last Thursday. I decided to open his tub and try to handle him this afternoon. It didn't go as planned. He is definitely not a ball python.

He was moving fast or seemingly ready to strike at me. He moved quickly if I touched him. I am not doing a good job of handling him. After a few minutes of trying to slowly work up to holding him I ended the session.

Any suggestions? It's really my inexperience, not his, to blame.

0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

Fraido (05-05-2017),Gio (03-27-2017)

Thanks
    Last edited by rock; 03-27-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

Fraido (05-05-2017),Gio (03-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Looking absolutely great!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Fraido (05-05-2017),rock (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    It's been almost a week and he fed properly last Thursday. I decided to open his tub and try to handle him this afternoon. It didn't go as planned. He is definitely not a ball python.

He was moving fast or seemingly ready to strike at me. He moved quickly if I touched him. I am not doing a good job of handling him. After a few minutes of trying to slowly work up to holding him I ended the session.

Any suggestions? It's really my inexperience, not his, to blame.

Slow but confident movement around the animal and gentle handling should calm it down over time. Definitely not a ball python for sure. My SD retic gal acts similar and keeps me on my toes and I've had her a year now. Just have to learn to read their body language and show them great respect in regards to interactions. May want to hook train it or tap train it so it learns that when a hook or tap is encountered that means it's not time for food and that handling is about to happen. Beautiful critter btw!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

rock (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Don't feel bad.

We get "so good" at reading and dealing with Ball Pythons, that different snakes can be a bit un-nerving. ESP. when we cannot read them yet, and they are defensive and FAST.

While "most" Ball Pythons ball up when they feel threatened and are easy to scoop up that way, many other snakes "s" up and whip around, ready to tag. Whether they actually tag or not, they will make a good show of it, and until you learn that snake better, you won't really know.

At this point the snake is still un-nerved by the change of home. It is beginning to feel secure in the new home and then comes that big, warm predator trying to "pick it off".
    It got into a certain routine at its former home. Then it got through the stress of shipping, then a new home. Its quicker to go from zero to 100 then it was before.

Ball Pythons are easy. Even if you have a somewhat pissy or defensive baby, you can easily make them back down with the flat hand gently pushing their head down. That does NOT work with Blood Pythons, for example. I'm not sure if it works with this species, but probably not. You only want to do this if you have an aggressive hatchling, you don't want to add stress to fear.

Just when we fear we are about to die, or about to get eaten, the moments leading up to it are the scariest. So while you try to slowly and gently scoop up your baby, all it does is drag out the panic, and brings out the defensiveness and heightens it.

Yes, you have to be gentle. But you have to be deliberate. Use a hook and gently touch the snake on the lower neck. Not long enough to make it freak out and whip around. Very deliberately touch and at the same time move the hook into position that if the head whips around towards your hand, you block it a bit. Do NOT push the head or neck down, the hook is only there to block. Or you will have a snake that will fling itself around getting ever more upset.

So block and with the other hand scoop it up. Try to do this in a deliberate movement without taking to much time and effort. Yes, that head might snap around. The snake "might" want to tag you, but usually once you lift them, they are to worried to balance themselves rather then to bite the "branch arms" that are holding it up.

To get yourself more confident, wear a sweater with long sleeves. Those tiny teeth can't do any damage, and it will make you less hesitant and worried about it. If need be, wear gloves the first couple of times. Try to find thin ones, though, you need to "feel" the snake, so you don't accidentally hurt it. I've heard those thin soft leather gloves called "rose thorn gardening gloves" or something along those lines would be great. they are super soft yet I doubt you would feel those tiny teeth, and if you did, it certainly wouldn't hurt. Do this in a smaller room, carpeted, and try to be alone those first times.

Once you have the snake, try to be still as much as you can, while allowing the snake to move from hand to hand, if it chooses. Don't force it still or hold it fast, but don't walk or move around to much.

From then on, you just have to keep going. Learn to read the snake. Does it get more frantic the longer the handling? Does it calm down and stay calmer? For how long? Shoot for 10 minutes, but if the snake gets to agitated after 5, then do 5 minutes first few times. You want to return the snake to the bin before it gets frantic. Return gently, many people fear the snake turning back and tagging them as they release them, so they tend to rather "drop" that snake and pull back fast. Which makes the whole thing scary and stressful to snake and owner. Hold your hands still in and above the tub, allow the snake to return on its own, then move back and close the tub.

Most likely the first few times the snake will race back in a panicked hurry, but if you stay calm and patient each time, they will eventually slowly and calmly return to their tub.

It took me a while to read my Blood Python. Boy he huffed in the beginning and whipped that head towards my hands, I was sure he would strike. He had when I first got him. He never bit me. I am more confident now that most of it was "show", but we have to remember they do fear they are about to die.

Removing them from the home is always the most "stressful" moment, to snake and handler. Don't drag that moment out. Find a good position and go for it.

Sometimes, open the tub, and then close it. Nothing more. Sometimes open the tub, touch with hook, close the tub. Try to get the snake to realize "open the tub" does not mean I'm about to die.

I know I wrote a whole book here, and I'm not going to proof read it. I'm german, so excuse grammar and spelling

I have never had a Bredli, so other more knowledgeable people might be able to help you better.

What I do have is a new snake that is a whole nother "ball game" from Balls, on top of it known to be wicked, and he was VERY nervous and defensive. To a point, he still is. We have come a very long way, but I don't kid myself that we are there yet.
    However, I have learned to read him, he has learned to read me, and we are making progress.

I'm sharing what worked for me.

Just don't get discouraged, in a few month you will look back and laugh at that little fire cracker
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

rock (03-28-2017)

Thanks

what a cool lookin little fella! i think he'll be your new best friend

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pythondad For This Useful Post:

rock (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Slow but confident movement around the animal and gentle handling should calm it down over time. Definitely not a ball python for sure. My SD retic gal acts similar and keeps me on my toes and I've had her a year now. Just have to learn to read their body language and show them great respect in regards to interactions. May want to hook train it or tap train it so it learns that when a hook or tap is encountered that means it's not time for food and that handling is about to happen. Beautiful critter btw!

Thank you for the compliment on him and yes, hook or tap training seems to be the way to go. I also spent too much time sitting outside the tub staring at him and deciding what to do. Don't think that helped in the slightest.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Don't feel bad.

We get "so good" at reading and dealing with Ball Pythons, that different snakes can be a bit un-nerving. ESP. when we cannot read them yet, and they are defensive and FAST...

Just don't get discouraged, in a few month you will look back and laugh at that little fire cracker
    Nina, thank you for this. You are 100% on point about everything!

The ball pythons made it very easy for me, a new owner, to be relaxed. It is the whip around that you mention that the Bredli does that gets me ready to put him back down and unsure of his next move even if he is just exploring.

I will read your words before each time I handle him until I am comfortable and he feels at home. Thank you for the great ideas. Its just a matter of being comfortable with each step!
    Last edited by rock; 03-28-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-28-2017)

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast