Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,891

1 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    You are NOT a terrible handler !!

Do not for one second think you are the only one that would rather not have a quick, defensive snake move towards the face, neck, arm, or any other area they could "chomp" down on.

Of course you will move him, and that moving/grabbing his body freaks him out and he whips around.

But that is all part of the "learning". In time he will learn even if he is touched or grabbed, it didn't kill him. He will not be so touchy anymore. At the same time you will learn that he is not coming at you to remove some flesh, every time

Noone likes to get bit. Its not even the pain. The pain probably wouldn't even be a big deal, but its our instinct to avoid it, and to keep the snake from tagging us. And when they move so erratic and are so touchy and "whippy", we can't help but have our own little "oh crap" moment and just want that head to point the other way NOW.

Don't worry about it to much or over think it. Just by eating and growing, he will start settling down. The "new" routines will become "routine" and nothing to worry about. The handling will become "no big deal". I think you are to hard on yourself. Don't think anyone of us is so "great" at it naturally. When Sandor moved towards my face my stomach dropped a couple of inches...LOL. I know how hard they can hit and I knew if I grabbed him and moved him away he would most likely freak and whip around. And then...nothing happened.

And even if we get tagged one day. Most likely it will be almost a relief afterwards, because it can't be half as bad as our brain makes it out to be.

Just handle him. He isn't made out of glass and he will not break if you maneuver his body around. The only way for him to get over freaking out when grabbed or moved/maneuvered is for it to happen. Until it doesn't bother/worry him anymore.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-28-2017),rock (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Re: This is my Bredli. There are many like it...

Nice protective gear there Rock. He's got nothing . Truth is there bite isn't so bad. Check out my battle scar from the Olive . He'll soon realize you aren't going to eat him and he'll be putty in your hands. I'm curious to see the color and size differences in our Bredli as they grow. I believe yours is from the Price and Lemke lines and my guy is from the Afors line. Let's keep the pics flowing .

3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

rock (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Nice protective gear there Rock. He's got nothing . Truth is there bite isn't so bad. Check out my battle scar from the Olive . He'll soon realize you aren't going to eat him and he'll be putty in your hands. I'm curious to see the color and size differences in our Bredli as they grow. I believe yours is from the Price and Lemke lines and my guy is from the Afors line. Let's keep the pics flowing .

Haha...oh gosh, that is quite the battle scar

I wish I had made pics when that redtail got me. Oh, he got me GOOD. I don't have pictures, though, and I think its better this way in this thread, LOL.
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

rock (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    You are NOT a terrible handler !!

Do not for one second think you are the only one that would rather not have a quick, defensive snake move towards the face, neck, arm, or any other area they could "chomp" down on.

Of course you will move him, and that moving/grabbing his body freaks him out and he whips around.

But that is all part of the "learning". In time he will learn even if he is touched or grabbed, it didn't kill him. He will not be so touchy anymore. At the same time you will learn that he is not coming at you to remove some flesh, every time

Noone likes to get bit. Its not even the pain. The pain probably wouldn't even be a big deal, but its our instinct to avoid it, and to keep the snake from tagging us. And when they move so erratic and are so touchy and "whippy", we can't help but have our own little "oh crap" moment and just want that head to point the other way NOW.

Don't worry about it to much or over think it. Just by eating and growing, he will start settling down. The "new" routines will become "routine" and nothing to worry about. The handling will become "no big deal". I think you are to hard on yourself. Don't think anyone of us is so "great" at it naturally. When Sandor moved towards my face my stomach dropped a couple of inches...LOL. I know how hard they can hit and I knew if I grabbed him and moved him away he would most likely freak and whip around. And then...nothing happened.

And even if we get tagged one day. Most likely it will be almost a relief afterwards, because it can't be half as bad as our brain makes it out to be.

Just handle him. He isn't made out of glass and he will not break if you maneuver his body around. The only way for him to get over freaking out when grabbed or moved/maneuvered is for it to happen. Until it doesn't bother/worry him anymore.
    Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, Zina. Yes, I am hard on myself because I watch videos and think I should be able to do the same.

Truth be told, the only things I ever feared as kid was the dark, sharks and snakes. The dark I outgrew early and sharks I overcame around high school as I spent most of my life water skiing, wake boarding and diving in the ocean. Just had to face it. Fear of snakes, on the other hand, never abated. For all the time I spend outdoors I would rather come across an alligator than a snake.

So, when my 8 year old daughter wanted a ball python for her birthday 6 months ago I decided to empower her while empowering myself and getting over my final fear by facing it straight up. Needless to say, I am not perfect yet but I'm trying to get there.

On a lighter note, you know exactly what is happening! He does jump a bit sometimes when touched much more so than the BPs. When they ball up he instead "runs". I can tell he wants to interact and I'm learning in this short amount of time to watch him and trust his movements. Yes, being bitten would be a relief as I am sure it would not be bad at this point but I am trying to not give him a reason to as it seems it's not really what he wants to do. I'll go to bed with hopeful thoughts tonight! Thank you.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Thanks, bud. It was that or full body armour.

Nice bite mark. Definitely could have been worse. Those Olives do get powerful!

I agree about their coloring and differences as they grow. Your Bredli is top notch and I think the Afors line is always my favorite in photos. I will try to grab a screenshot of my lineage.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Thanks

This is Alpha's lineage. Yes, he has been named Alpha Omega. As in, "I am the Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end."

Photo courtesy of Nick Mutton's website. So it looks like Alpha is all Lazik line including the Stonewashed father. Should be interesting.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

Fraido (05-05-2017),zina10 (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    I had no idea you only so recently got over your fear of snakes.

Kudos on doing so well in all regards!

I used to have a bad fear of snakes, more of a phobia really. Where I grew up in Germany, there simply aren't any snakes to worry about. You most likely live all your life without ever seeing one.
    So when I moved to the states and was warned about taking walks and watching where I step, it freaked me OUT. Esp. since there are so many venomous ones.
    I even dreamed about snakes and getting bitten.

But here I am My story on how I got over it is long and weird and I don't want to derail your thread. But its awesome how far you have come in such a short time. And for not folding when it becomes a bit more challenging.

btw. I still have a really bad spider phobia. You won't catch me handling any spiders, at least not on purpose..LOL
    Zina

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

rock (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Thank you. It has been an amazing turnaround. A father has to do what he has to do. Of course, I went so far as wanting one for myself, hence the Bredli.

Happy for you as well and you are so knowledgeable about them too! Yes, you'll have to share your story sometime. And, Germany, what a wonderful place to grow up!

Spiders are okay, scorpions too. Roaches, not so much!
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-28-2017)

Thanks

When my tiny baby water Python got me last week I jumped and flailed a little, and Kajura didn't even break skin. That time I jumped mostly because I wasn't expecting it (long strike range).

So far our snakes will usually strike *toward* their target before going in for real. If your little guy isn't doing that, it's probably a good sign he's not too ready to bite.

When he starts coming up your arm, remember that when he's (mostly) stretched out he's got less strike range than when he's essed up. When he's getting closer than you're comfortable with, slide your other hand under him back from the head, lift, and re-direct. If you've done or seen the snake treadmill thing with a snake going away from you out of your hands, it's the same thing. Just come in from the side or from below/behind the head so he's less likely to see your hand. When you're really sneaky about it they don't even seem to notice - hmm hmm, just another thing I'm slithering over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

rock (03-29-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    When my tiny baby water Python got me last week I jumped and flailed a little, and Kajura didn't even break skin. That time I jumped mostly because I wasn't expecting it (long strike range).

So far our snakes will usually strike *toward* their target before going in for real. If your little guy isn't doing that, it's probably a good sign he's not too ready to bite.

When he starts coming up your arm, remember that when he's (mostly) stretched out he's got less strike range than when he's essed up. When he's getting closer than you're comfortable with, slide your other hand under him back from the head, lift, and re-direct. If you've done or seen the snake treadmill thing with a snake going away from you out of your hands, it's the same thing. Just come in from the side or from below/behind the head so he's less likely to see your hand. When you're really sneaky about it they don't even seem to notice - hmm hmm, just another thing I'm slithering over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are totally correct, he is definitely fully stretched out when climbing my arm and not in a typical strike position. The snake treadmill is definitely something I need to practice!
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast