Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,647

1 members and 2,646 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Corny, my adopted corn snake

Quote Originally Posted by mama_arty View Post
    He looks very Happy? Mine refuses to use his hide and buries himself instead. Does yours do that?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Mine both love to burrow and bury themselves in their substrate. I've found that they love the cardboard Paper Towel rolls too. I just toss them when I do a cleaning and give them a new one. They'll outgrow them at some point, but for now they are great.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (03-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mama_arty View Post
    Mine refuses to use his hide and buries himself instead. Does yours do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Mine both love to burrow and bury themselves in their substrate.
    one of the first things he did when i placed him into his enclosure was burrow down. he has two hides right now: one is an exo-terra that i had laying around, and the other is a water dish+hide that was given to me along with him, and that's where i found him this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I've found that they love the cardboard Paper Towel rolls too. I just toss them when I do a cleaning and give them a new one. They'll outgrow them at some point, but for now they are great.
    this is a neat idea! i'll definitely save my next one for him.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Agree on the cooler temps. They are South East US, not primarily tropical.

Mine is full grown and active. He uses every inch of his 36X18 enclosure, and climbs too. I like the 40 gallon Zilla enclosures with the slide out top for utility and economy, and they have the same foot print as the large-tall Exo-Terra (which houses the corn). You may eventually find twenty gallons is a bit tight for an active full grown corn, but I'm just guessing going on my own experience.

Enjoy!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (03-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Agree on the cooler temps. They are South East US, not primarily tropical.

Mine is full grown and active. He uses every inch of his 36X18 enclosure, and climbs too. I like the 40 gallon Zilla enclosures with the slide out top for utility and economy, and they have the same foot print as the large-tall Exo-Terra (which houses the corn). You may eventually find twenty gallons is a bit tight for an active full grown corn, but I'm just guessing going on my own experience.

Enjoy!
    i lowered the temp as soon as i got up; the floor was around 83° before i left this am. i'll most likely upgrade his enclosure in the future, but for now he's small enough where the one he's in now seems okay.

how old is your corn snake?
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Very nice corn snake. They are super easy to care for like most colubrids. Since they do like to burrow I focus more on the floor temps than the surface temps. I keep my colubrid temps in the 84-86F range on the hot side and the cool side in the mid 70s. Night time temps can drop into the low 70s and even the upper 60s with no problems.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

distaff (03-13-2017),tttaylorrr (03-13-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i lowered the temp as soon as i got up; the floor was around 83° before i left this am. i'll most likely upgrade his enclosure in the future, but for now he's small enough where the one he's in now seems okay.

how old is your corn snake?
    Not sure of his age. He was sold to me as a "proven breeder", but has since put on considerable length and weight. I've had him for a year since January. My guess would be about two and a half, but just a guess. I don't breed, so don't know the earliest age one can make use of a male.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (03-13-2017)

Thanks

Not sure of his age. He was sold to me as a "proven breeder", but has since put on considerable length and weight. I've had him for a year since January. My guess would be about two and a half, but just a guess. I don't breed, so don't know the earliest age one can make use of a male.
    what's his weight? i plan on weighing Corny and trying to get a good idea of his length later today and post what i find here, see what people think. i want to know if he's at a healthy weight for his approximate age.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    what's his weight? i plan on weighing Corny and trying to get a good idea of his length later today and post what i find here, see what people think. i want to know if he's at a healthy weight for his approximate age.
    Haven't weighed him recently. He doesn't miss a meal, but I space them out to keep him on the lean side. A corn should have a more rectangular cross section, not so round, but not sunken anywhere, either. The more healthy corn snakes you look at, the more you will develop an eye for it.

Yours in the pic looks fine to me. They grow at their own pace. While he is still small, feed once a week, a mouse about as big around as he is.
    Last edited by distaff; 03-13-2017 at 01:18 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (03-13-2017)

Thanks

Haven't weighed him recently. He doesn't miss a meal, but I space them out to keep him on the lean side. A corn should have a more rectangular cross section, not so round, but not sunken anywhere, either. The more healthy corn snakes you look at, the more you will develop an eye for it.

Yours in the pic looks fine to me. They grow at their own pace. While he is still small, feed once a week, a mouse about as big around as he is.
    awesome, thank you for your input. he looks good to me, too. i'll let him settle for a few days and try feeding him.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Corny definitely looks good and healthy to me. And just for reference, my King (I know, not a corn, but very similar) is about a year and a half-two years old based what I was told (but I think he may be a bit older). He is just over 4 feet and weighed 645grams last weigh-in (Feb 9). My corns are still too young to compare weights with Corny I think.
    I also keep a water bowl in my Kings enclosure and it's hands down his favorite hide. I recently had to "build it up" because he was starting to drag his scales a bit getting in and out, and would sometimes spill out the sides a bit. I just built it up with some patio block segments because I didn't have the heart to replace his favorite hide. He is housed in a 40 gallon breeder and uses every inch as well, including his climbing branches.
    I hope you're enjoying your new buddy, they are definitely very different from BPs. I know he'll be a "happy", healthy snake as long as he's in your care.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (03-13-2017)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast