Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,867

1 members and 1,866 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Synchronized swimming?

Lol, I guess that's what you could call it. I'm observing some odd behavior with my ball pythons. I'm still pretty new to keeping ball pythons even though my first was over 20 years ago and over the years I've had many snakes and other reptiles but my new obsession with ball pythons has really just started over the last few months. So I'm really still just learning their behavior. I had an adult female start soaking about two weeks ago but she has been breeding and I believe she is building so this is pretty typical behavior before ovulating. But now the weird thing is 6 of my 7 have also started soaking for the last two days. The only one not is a new one I just received two days ago. They seem completely healthy, all eat consitantly and there are no mites, I would of seen some by now but I've been checking very closely and in the water because that was my first thought. Humidity and temperature right where I want them. All but two are in rack systems I built. The heat tape is at 95 and ambient temp is 81. Humidity is between 70-80. They have all been shedding without issues, one full shed. The other two pythons are in display tanks in a different room but temps and humidity are kept almost the same, just ambient temp is a little lower at 75. They have a hide on the cool and hot side of tank. I can't really think of anything else. I just find it so odd that they are all soaking right now. All of my previous pythons have enjoyed a good soak once in a while but I never really related it to anything. Now with six doing it at the same time I can't help but think it can't be a coincidence. What do you guys think? Have you ever experienced something like this? Could it be weather related?

Thanks
    Just a follow up in case anyone was wondering. I did find a couple mites today so I guess it's time to treat all of them☹️

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Synchronized swimming?

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    Just a follow up in case anyone was wondering. I did find a couple mites today so I guess it's time to treat all of them☹️
    Oh darn, sorry to hear that. I've never experienced mites, but they sound like a hassle to treat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Oh darn, sorry to hear that. I've never experienced mites, but they sound like a hassle to treat.
    Yeah, it's going to be a pita! I've dealt with them once years ago when I got my first retic, she had a real bad infestation but was simple to treat because it was only one snake. Now with a larger collection I'm not looking forward to it ��
    Last edited by rufretic; 03-13-2017 at 11:55 AM.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    I kind of figured that would be the result, that or your heat was up too high. They don't generally go for soaks otherwise. Mites are a pain-good luck with that battle.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks

That was my first thought too , was mites , because you had mentioned that you had just recently gotten a new snake two days prior to this post , so I was thinking maybe the new member had brought some unwanted " friends " lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MeganMarkita&SamuelAdrien
    0.1 Beautiful Pastel ~ Elsa
    1.0 Awesome Queen Bee ~ Paulo
    0.1 Blue Nose Pitbull ~ Zoey
    1.1 Beautifully Awesome Children ~ 💕Lexi&Atoen 💕