Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,037

0 members and 3,037 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Palpating for eggs?

I'm wondering how difficult it is to feel for follicles while palpating. I've been pairing up my Enchi for the last few months with several locks. With the first lock in late November. I've been feeling about once per week and still haven't felt anything discernible as an egg follicle. She's going through a shed cycle now, though I'm about 60-70% sure it's not a prelay shed since I can't feel any eggs and I never saw an ovulation. Though I will frequently go a day or two without doing more than a sniff test of the tubs and checking gauges, so I could've missed the ovulation. How long should I keep pairing before I stop if I don't see an ovulation or eggs?

So how difficult are eggs to feel? And if there is anyone that knows what to feel for Thats in the area, if appreciate a lesson in what to feel for.

Thanks a bunch for the advice.
    I'd put up a pic while in at it, but I'm having issues posting pictures

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Palpating for eggs?

Palpati bg is not about palpating for egg, I would recommend not to palpate once the animal ovulated.

Palpating is to feel for follicles and get an idea on their size and number.

It is easy? It takes practice.

Is it necessary? No it's not.

If she ovulated she now should be back to the warm side as opposed to being on the cool side while developping.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-11-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Thanks for the advise.

I never saw an ovulation so I was trying to see if she was even developing. I never saw her wrapping her water bowl or any very obvious signs of building but she did spend several weeks stretched across her tub on the cool side instead of coiled up somewhere, and the last week or two she's been curled up in her hide on the warm side. And has been more voracious than normal. But For the first time ever she passed up a meal, though being in shed could be a factor. Though it's never slowed her down before.

I guess we'll see in a month of she took or not. I've got the incubator up and ready to go if she does lay. If not, then I guess it was a normal shed.

Thanks again,
    Kyle

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kroberts10 View Post
    Thanks for the advise.

I never saw an ovulation so I was trying to see if she was even developing. I never saw her wrapping her water bowl or any very obvious signs of building but she did spend several weeks stretched across her tub on the cool side instead of coiled up somewhere, and the last week or two she's been curled up in her hide on the warm side. And has been more voracious than normal. But For the first time ever she passed up a meal, though being in shed could be a factor. Though it's never slowed her down before.

I guess we'll see in a month of she took or not. I've got the incubator up and ready to go if she does lay. If not, then I guess it was a normal shed.

Thanks again,
    Kyle

What's in bold tells me that she has not likely ovulated while some females will eat after ovulating it is very rare (I had it happened once with one female in the last decade). So if she has been voracious while having returned on the warm side that would suggest that is is not likely gravid.

Female will be voracious in preparation of becoming gravid but will stop once they are.

If she has ovulated, returned to the warm side and stopped feeding then since it has been 2 weeks you should now be able to see the eggs (simply hold her head up, tail down and slowly reverse the position tail up head down)
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-12-2017 at 12:36 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Ok. I'll keep my eye on what she does. I noticed in several charts on follicle and egg production that there is a shed at the beginning of the follicle production. I wonder if this could possibly be it.

I will say, the breeding side of things is anxiety building. Especially without the experience to know for sure if the signs are being read correctly.

Kyle

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follicular development in BP can take 4 to 8 months during which time the female will shed.

Now once the female ovulates your timeline will start, she will shed 14 days after ovulating and lay her eggs on average 45 days after her ovy.
    Deborah Stewart