Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

2 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    For people who's minds always go a mile a minute (me), Snakes can be therapeutic.

When you watch them slithering slowly (depending on species of course), investigating things, watch and feel their movements, its almost hypnotizing.
    It makes your mind slow down, focus. Your mind goes empty of worries, sadness or whatever is going on, and you just live in the moment of watching this gorgeous creature move about.

I used to have 2 normal Ball Pythons I would take to educational presentations with our reptile club. I noticed that some kids with special needs were fascinated by the snakes. Often the parents would mentioned that those kids get over stimulated by pets like dogs and cats, but liked to watch snakes quietly. The snakes held their focus for a long time. There was one girl that was just enamored with my Delilah. The entire time she was there with her parents, she just followed me around and wanted to pet Delilah.
    I was kneeling down and let her pet her, and she ever so gently picked her up. I have to admit, I was a bit concerned. Not about Delilah, gosh that was THE chillest Ball Python on the planet. When carrying around I used to grab her head to kiss the top of it, and she never ever even flinched. Always ate well, no matter if I fed the day after such a presentation.
    I was concerned the girl might not want to give her back or possibly get to rough. But no. For about 40 minutes she just sat there and watched Delilah explore around her hands and lap. With such a loving expression on her face. Her parents were amazed. They told me nothing holds her attention for that long. In the end she quietly and gently handed Delilah back over.

Of course there are many other reasons why snakes make great animals to keep. But most have already been discussed.

For me there is one more BIG reason. I have met some of the NICEST people when I entered the reptile community. Truly nice, caring people. Some of them I know from way back when I started. Of course there are a few bad apples, but for the most part, the reptile community is a awesome one, and one of the most knowledgeable and caring when it comes to their animals.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

distaff (03-11-2017),LiadanCroft (03-12-2017),Lizardlicks (03-11-2017),Marzipan (03-12-2017),tttaylorrr (03-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Reasons snakes make great pets

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    For people who's minds always go a mile a minute (me), Snakes can be therapeutic.

When you watch them slithering slowly (depending on species of course), investigating things, watch and feel their movements, its almost hypnotizing.
    It makes your mind slow down, focus. Your mind goes empty of worries, sadness or whatever is going on, and you just live in the moment of watching this gorgeous creature move about.

I used to have 2 normal Ball Pythons I would take to educational presentations with our reptile club. I noticed that some kids with special needs were fascinated by the snakes. Often the parents would mentioned that those kids get over stimulated by pets like dogs and cats, but liked to watch snakes quietly. The snakes held their focus for a long time. There was one girl that was just enamored with my Delilah. The entire time she was there with her parents, she just followed me around and wanted to pet Delilah.
    I was kneeling down and let her pet her, and she ever so gently picked her up. I have to admit, I was a bit concerned. Not about Delilah, gosh that was THE chillest Ball Python on the planet. When carrying around I used to grab her head to kiss the top of it, and she never ever even flinched. Always ate well, no matter if I fed the day after such a presentation.
    I was concerned the girl might not want to give her back or possibly get to rough. But no. For about 40 minutes she just sat there and watched Delilah explore around her hands and lap. With such a loving expression on her face. Her parents were amazed. They told me nothing holds her attention for that long. In the end she quietly and gently handed Delilah back over.

Of course there are many other reasons why snakes make great animals to keep. But most have already been discussed.

For me there is one more BIG reason. I have met some of the NICEST people when I entered the reptile community. Truly nice, caring people. Some of them I know from way back when I started. Of course there are a few bad apples, but for the most part, the reptile community is a awesome one, and one of the most knowledgeable and caring when it comes to their animals.
    Great post . I agree so wholeheartedly about the observing /viewing part and that's surely a massive advantage of vivs ..
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-11-2017 at 03:07 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-12-2017)

Thanks

Re: Reasons snakes make great pets

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Okay just a quick run down! As already touched on:

• Low maintenance (I'd like to stress, this is really great for people like myself with disablilties. I advocate snakes as the ultiate spoonies pet because of how little time, and physical and mental effort you have to dedicate to keep them happy, and they won't demand time and attention if you don't have it to give).

That is the exact reason my daughter brought up ball pythons to me. I love pets, and we had 3 cats when my wife asked for a divorce. I was without a pet for the first time in quite some time, but I have CRPS and a facial paralysis that prevents me from opening my eyes. Having a dog or cat is just out of the question for me.

I have made some "eyelid crutches" that hook on to my glasses that can keep my eyes open for short periods of time. It would be long enough for me to take care of a snake, and even to handle them. The fact that I don't have to get up to take them out immediately is a big plus.

I don't have any snakes yet, but I'm doing my research and saving up to get 2, one for me and one for my daughter.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bassball Fever For This Useful Post:

LiadanCroft (03-12-2017),Lizardlicks (03-11-2017),Marzipan (03-12-2017),Timelugia (03-11-2017),zina10 (03-12-2017),Zincubus (03-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Pretty much what has already been said goes for me too. They are relaxing for me. I can sit and watch them for hours. Kinda like fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I think that snakes actually prefer to be enclosed. Every time I stressed out a snake it was because I kept it in an enclosure that was open. Since I got my ARS rack with grey tubs my snakes are 100% more comfortable, eat better, and are way less stressed. I think that's a human perspective, it's like being stressed out over earthworms being in the ground LOL.
    I laughed, this is so true LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Maybe we could also touch on the occasional feeling of guilt for keeping them enclosed ????
    I am a self confessed snake addict , currently with 20 and the 21st one coming on Monday ...... but every so often , every few months I suddenly feel a tad guilty ...
    About Zincubus' feeling of guilt keeping them enclosed... Then why keep them at all? Why do zoos exist to enclose ANY animal? This is bordering on PETA ideologies LOL.

Our pets circulate in a pet market, don't affect the wild population in any way, and can't survive in the wild due to their coloration even if you wanted to fly to Togo and release them out of guilt. Captive snakes live long healthy lives, eat consistent meals, have no fear of predators and no fear of harsh weather conditions. They're pampered, spoiled immortal reptiles. There's no need to feel guilty. I would only feel guilty if I were knowingly abusing them or not keeping them in proper conditions, like new owners with poor husbandry.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-11-2017 at 04:05 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Medduussa (03-12-2017),zina10 (03-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I laughed, this is so true LOL

About Zincubus' feeling of guilt keeping them enclosed... Then why keep them at all? Why do zoos exist to enclose ANY animal? This is bordering on PETA ideologies LOL.

Our pets circulate in a pet market, don't affect the wild population in any way, and can't survive in the wild due to their coloration even if you wanted to fly to Togo and release them out of guilt. Captive snakes live long healthy lives, eat consistent meals, have no fear of predators and no fear of harsh weather conditions. They're pampered, spoiled immortal reptiles. There's no need to feel guilty. I would only feel guilty if I were knowingly abusing them or not keeping them in proper conditions, like new owners with poor husbandry.
    Well mine are indeed spoilt rotten but on occasion maybe 3 or 4 times a year I suddenly get a guilt feeling .... must be just me .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    1. Hypoallergenic
    2. Pet snakes teach people not to be afraid/kill wild ones
    3. Snakes live longer in captivity then in the wild (of course some argue freedom is more important than life span)
    4. Snakes eat and breed easily in captivity so endangered species can be CB to preserve them
    5. Unlike puppy mills, most snake breeders are ethical and care about their animals' lives
    6. There is not a massive overpopulation of snakes, so they don't end up in shelters as much as dogs and cats
    7. Snakes come in all different sizes, colors, etc, so everyone should be able to find one they like or are comfortable with
    8. Many snakes are easy to care for and don't require a lot of time or space
    9. Snakes are not incredibly intelligent, so they shouldn't get bored/depressed in captivity
    10. Very few "pet" snakes are dangerous, and do much less damage than dogs, cats, horses, and other common pets.

Any of these points can be argued of course, and the PETA will never be happy until everyone follows their radical lifestyle. (So basically they will never be happy).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FlynnTheBP For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-12-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I mean, both PETA and the HSUS want to end domestic pet ownership and animal/human cohabitation in its entirety so not even cats and dogs are safe... reptiles just make easier targets because the public in general is fearful/misinformed.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Marzipan (03-12-2017),zina10 (03-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    I mean, both PETA and the HSUS want to end domestic pet ownership and animal/human cohabitation in its entirety so not even cats and dogs are safe... reptiles just make easier targets because the public in general is fearful/misinformed.
    This.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FlynnTheBP For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

this is why i fell in love with snakes and also why i think they make great pets for people and kids (of a certain age) as well.

their maintenance is SO simple once you truly understand their needs.

the BEST reason imo: the way you interact with them is unlike any other pet; you just let them do their thing. you stay poised and focus on them entirely; i think this is such a unique experience, especially for someone like me who suffers from anxiety+depression.

i think kids (of a responsible age) benefit GREATLY from the interaction snakes provide: slow, calm and focused. i do not have kids, but i feel i'm not very far off with my thinking.

snakes are perfect for those people who feel overwhelmed in their daily life: where a dog or cat might be too much and they feel they can't provide for them, but they want the responsibility and interactivity a pet provides. this was actually my thinking when i decided to look into having a snake.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (03-12-2017),zina10 (03-12-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast