Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

1 members and 2,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    also, imo, there's no way a person that cares for their pet would place a CRAIGSLIST ad to rehome them.
    That's rather harsh, while I agree there's a lot of shady crap that goes on there, it's a broad brush you are painting with. When I took in a pregnant stray that I found at my work, I used craigslist to find homes for the kittens and they went to really good people. I've also gotten and rehomed reptiles through craigslist before. One just has to vet the information, vet the person they are dealing with and take careful review of the animal before agreeing. Sorry to go off topic a bit but the generalization was troubling me.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 03-08-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Sorry to go off topic a bit but the generalization was troubling me.
    i can agree it was a very negative generalization of something i myself have never looked into or done, and it makes sense that it would bother you. i didn't mean to be offensive, but i'm sorry it came across that way.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-08-2017)

Thanks

Re: "Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food" post gaining t

NO what the heck!? is that where this post was coming from? after reading up on the video, it was a burmese owned by a man from china. i believe some parts of china have a different view on dogs (see: Yulin Festival), but the deceit of the owners is still so wrong.
    I don't think that's where this post is coming from, but you never know. I thought I read something saying it's illegal to "feed dogs to pythons in China"? I was looking it up earlier today trying to find the actual video, and one article said that I think.

I did find the original person who shared it on Twitter, the guy removed the tweet (not sure about the account itself). Did you come across a copy of the video? It was pretty sad to see, super cute puppy. Thankfully it didn't show the snake eating the puppy, just the striking and constricting.

What I found most disturbing though, is the fact that people were joking about how "cute" the video was.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Re: "Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food"

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Did you come across a copy of the video? It was pretty sad to see, super cute puppy. Thankfully it didn't show the snake eating the puppy, just the striking and constricting.
    yes i did find a copy online and watched it, unfortunately. as for the legality of it i'm guessing maybe those laws are not strictly enforced, because why would that person leave such an obvious trail to himself if it was a crime? idk sometimes people are dumb, this person is no exception.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Re: "Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food"

yes i did find a copy online and watched it, unfortunately. as for the legality of it i'm guessing maybe those laws are not strictly enforced, because why would that person leave such an obvious trail to himself if it was a crime? idk sometimes people are dumb, this person is no exception.
    Yeah, I don't know, it was just a sad video and people like that are a great way to mess things up for normal snake owners.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Nothing about food consumption in China surprises me. The people themselves eat puppies. My daughters who are half Chinese went to China to visit their grandparents. They told me a story about playing with a bunch of puppies every day and then one day the puppies were just gone. I did not have the heart to tell them what actually happened to the puppies. Supposedly black puppies are preferred. So, puppies being fed to a snake is absolutely no surprise to me. The snake itself probably has a place on the menu also. I am not going to judge them. The culture there can be very different than here. I have had to have a very open mind in order to live harmoniously with the Asian side of my family. I have just had to be very clear that some things that are done in China cannot be done in the US and definitely not in my house.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 03-08-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I would never under any circumstances feed a dog or a cat to any other animal. I just like dogs and cats too much. But it really is no different than feeding rodents. Or feeding snakes to other snakes. It's just not something I would ever do.

Thanks
    Ugh, I find people moralizing what animals are "appropriate" to eat or be fed to other animals without being cognizant of how their cultural context influences their view very trying. Pigs are just as smart as dogs and chickens and cows can be affectionate and pleasure-seeking, but it's okay to eat THEM or feed them/their by-products to other animals, right?

It goes without saying that someone deceiving people on Craiglist about the outcome of the "adoption/rehome"* is a total scumbag though. Come by your animal's food honestly or find a more responsible keeper to take the animal on. Primus.

*If the story is even legit, which who knows.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nellasaur For This Useful Post:

FlynnTheBP (03-08-2017),Lizardlicks (03-08-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-09-2017),tttaylorrr (03-08-2017)

Thanks

Re: "Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food" post gaining t

Quote Originally Posted by Nellasaur View Post
    It goes without saying that someone deceiving people on Craiglist about the outcome of the "adoption/rehome"* is a total scumbag though. Come by your animal's food honestly or find a more responsible keeper to take the animal on.
    this was my main problem with all of this; the comments were just so harsh towards snake owners in general. this is just a way for people to justify their hate for snakes and snake owners as well, just another news story painting snake owners in a bad light.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-09-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123