Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

1 members and 2,823 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: "Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food" post gaining t

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnTheBP View Post
    I also don't agree at all with deceiving someone like that. I would feel absolutely terrible if I gave anyone an animal that they promised to care for only to have it killed. I see the rabbits being fed regularly, but how often can she find dogs/cats? You're right, just doesn't make sense for feeding a snake like that. Often times these stories are circulated around by animal rights or anti-snake people/groups to push their agenda.
    exactly, the deceit behind it makes it all the worse if it's true.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    The gestation in a dog is much longer, not to mention the litter yields exponentially less than a rabbit or other such lower animal... it's much more feasible to feed a rabbit or rat or some other type of animal. Not to mention a dog will reproduce maybe twice a year on average while rabbits or other lower rodents can do so 6+ times... Rabbits can get pregnant the day following the delivery of their litters.

Not to mention rabbits and lower animals have been domesticated for much less time than dogs. Domesticated dogs rely on us to some degree, and their intention has rarely been for food in the western world.

It could be true that someone does this but they are perhaps uneducated owners, have little access to supplies or information, perhaps are cruel, yotta yotta. We all know this isn't a common occurrence and it wouldn't be our first choice.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts
    I call _ _! Owning a almost 20 year old snake the last thing I would do is feed somthing like a dog or cat. Who is going to go through all that trouble unless your a unstable mental case at which point i doubt they have the lifstyle that accommodates a Giant Snake. No matter how big your snake is XL Rats or Rabbits will do just fine and they start at $8 in NY. Sounds like another one of these animal rights Coo'ks talkin nonsense to me.
    Now ive seen these things happen oversea's but thats another Topic of its own.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

FlynnTheBP (03-08-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-09-2017)

Thanks

Re: "Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food" post gaining t

Quote Originally Posted by cayley View Post
    It could be true that someone does this but they are perhaps uneducated owners, have little access to supplies or information, perhaps are cruel, yotta yotta. We all know this isn't a common occurrence and it wouldn't be our first choice.
    you make excellent points as to why what OP's friend does is just not reliable as well as farfetched. while the possibility of an ignorant owner with a giant snake isn't unheard of, the OP just seems so beyond anything truthful.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I've seen frozen feeder pigs for large snakes. Now a pig is one of the smartest animals on the planet, even smarter than dogs. They say they are close to chimpanzees but they don't have hands and can't sign like a chimp, so they have no way to show you how smart they are. When you are frying up your bacon in the morning think about that one!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

FlynnTheBP (03-08-2017),OTorresUSMC (03-08-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Sounds like another one of these animal rights Coo'ks talkin nonsense to me.
    i'm inclined to agree.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-08-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Rabbits are raised for meat, and fed hay and Rabbit Chow. The diet is standardized, and clean.

Cats eat whatever, and the rodents they scrounge may have been exposed to rat poison. Most backyard breeders of puppies whot are going to hand off the animals to any responder from a Craig's List ad are probably feeding the cheapest food they can get.

Who in their right mind, would want to put that into a snake?
    Last edited by distaff; 03-08-2017 at 12:36 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-08-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-09-2017),Trisnake (03-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Rabbits are raised for meat, and fed hay and Rabbit Chow. The diet is standardized, and clean.

Cats eat whatever, and the rodents they scrounge may have been exposed to rat poison. Most backyard breeders of puppies whot are going to hand off the animals to any responder from a Craig's List ad are probably feeding the cheapest food they can get.

Who in their right mind, would want to put that into a snake?
    No one. I honestly don't believe that story for a second. It just doesn't make any sense at all, and it was obviously intended to get a rise out of people. If live mice can injure a snake, a cat/dog with sharp teeth and claws can do much more damage. I mean, that's assuming they are fed live...

Thanks

Did anybody catch the video on Twitter a little while back of I think a big burm striking and constricting a fluffy brown puppy? I think it was a couple months ago.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Did anybody catch the video on Twitter a little while back of I think a big burm striking and constricting a fluffy brown puppy? I think it was a couple months ago.
    NO what the heck!? is that where this post was coming from? after reading up on the video, it was a burmese owned by a man from china. i believe some parts of china have a different view on dogs (see: Yulin Festival), but the deceit of the owners is still so wrong.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast