Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

1 members and 3,108 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

reptile room questions

hey guys im setting my reptile room this week, just a few questions. i will be doing a rack system, is belly heat recommended for every ball python size? meaning should i use the tape in very rack from hatchling to adult? what temp should i set my heat tape to? also as far as ambient temp, i live in Florida so in the summer it gets hot but some days during the winter it gets pretty cold, i use a programmable ceramic heater to keep my room at 81 all day, is this acceptable? and what can i do to keep my humidity at a right percentage for them?

Thanks!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Belly heat is not necessary however when provided it is the most efficient source of heat compare to back heat since heat travels up.

A hot spot of 88-92 is what you are shooting for with adults (your t-stat setup is something YOU will have to figure out)

Hatchling I recommend 86/88 as a hot spot.

To me 81 as ambient temp is a bit overkill but it is your electricity bill, I keep my room heated during the winter between 76 and 78.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-06-2017),Gio (03-06-2017),jlcalero (03-07-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Deborah is 100% correct if you are going to run heat tape. I am just adding a bit here because I am in South Florida. You said you are already set at 81. If you were to bump that up to 84 (with a reliable thermostat) you would not have to use heat tape at all and rely on ambient only. For most of the year I actually have to be more concerned about too hot. For the months I do have to heat my snake room I use an oil filled heater controlled by a thermostat. I am guessing this adds around $20 a month to my electric bill. For only a couple animals it is going to be cheaper to use the heat tape monthly billing wise.

Thanks
    ok so keeping my room at 78 and running heat tape should be pretty successful in your opinion?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: reptile room questions

Quote Originally Posted by jlcalero View Post
    ok so keeping my room at 78 and running heat tape should be pretty successful in your opinion?
    Should be fine

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jlcalero View Post
    Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Belly heat is not necessary however when provided it is the most efficient source of heat compare to back heat since heat travels up.

A hot spot of 88-92 is what you are shooting for with adults (your t-stat setup is something YOU will have to figure out)

Hatchling I recommend 86/88 as a hot spot.

To me 81 as ambient temp is a bit overkill but it is your electricity bill, I keep my room heated during the winter between 76 and 78.
    I'm not a huge royal guy as we only have my son's here but I like what Deb posts. If you are new, look up her trip to Africa as there are pictures and personal accounts of the experience. Very few herpers actually get to experience the wild environment of the animals they keep.

I'm a bit A-D-D right now so I apologize for not offering my advice, however anything Deb posts has some real merit behind it and should be taken into consideration.

None of this is rocket science and there are certainly different way to do things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I'm not a huge royal guy as we only have my son's here but I like what Deb posts. If you are new, look up her trip to Africa as there are pictures and personal accounts of the experience. Very few herpers actually get to experience the wild environment of the animals they keep.
    Where can I find this?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

I'm a bit A-D-D right now so I apologize for not offering my advice, however anything Deb posts has some real merit behind it and should be taken into consideration.

None of this is rocket science and there are certainly different way to do things.
    Apologies Deb,

I had you mixed up with JLC when I was thinking of that trip.

Here is the link to the trip for the person who was interested.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ht=trip+africa

BUT Deb knows her stuff too!!!
    Last edited by Gio; 03-07-2017 at 09:38 AM.