Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,926

4 members and 2,922 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Exclamation Ball Python hasn't eaten in 3 months!!

My ball python hasn't eaten in 3 months. He's in a tub. He is a little over a year old. Heat lamp and heating pad on hot side around 88-90° humidity 50%
    Cool side 75-80° humidity 50%
    I checked his weight 1 month ago and it was 536g
    I weighed him today and he weighed 524g

Is this dramatic weight loss??

He eats F/T small rats once a week
    There are no signs of illness, weezing, bubbles around nostrils ect... he is acting active when I took him out

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12 grams is nothing I have 250 grams snakes having bowel movement bigger than that.

If you have not done so already downsize the tub to the very minimum, during the winter I keep male 800 grams and less in 15 quarts tub to ensure that they will eat throughout breeding season.

If you have done it already simply be patient.

I have had animals that were on F/T and started refusing after a while and once switch to live resume feeding however I do not recommend this unless you know how to feed live and are willing to take the risk of your BP not switching back.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bigSAK (03-06-2017),Sonny1318 (03-06-2017)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python hasn't eaten in 3 months!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    12 grams is nothing I have 250 grams snakes having bowel movement bigger than that.

If you have not done so already downsize the tub to the very minimum, during the winter I keep male 800 grams and less in 15 quarts tub to ensure that they will eat throughout breeding season.

If you have done it already simply be patient.

I have had animals that were on F/T and started refusing after a while and once switch to live resume feeding however I do not recommend this unless you know how to feed live and are willing to take the risk of your BP not switching back.
    I haven't heard about switching to a smaller tub in the winter months. I'll remember that.
    I have already tried feeding him a small live mouse..he didn't want nothing to do with it.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kadidi2007 View Post
    I haven't heard about switching to a smaller tub in the winter months. I'll remember that.
    I have already tried feeding him a small live mouse..he didn't want nothing to do with it.
    If you usually feed rats offeri bg a live mouse may not do the trick some have nothi bg to do with mice and some have nothing to do with rats.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about 12 gram weight loss or a 3 month feeding strike. If it was faster loss then worry. I had a male last year go 10 months. He lost 60 grams the entire time ( and gained it all back in 2 weeks). Like Deb said put him in a smaller tub. And be patient. He will feed again when he is ready. Can't stress enough tho. Be patient with him. They can be very stubborn
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Next feeding time ...
    This method WORKS really well if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm , continue until it's grabbed ...
    I always wait until evenings to feed as they're nocturnal of course .

Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so.

Thanks
    My BP went on a 3 month hunger strike for me the first year I got her and she did the same exact thing this year. I ended up waiting a while in between feedings because I figured she was up to the same winter fast. Only offered 5 times in 3 months. I had an inkling that she might take this week so I just grabbed a medium live mouse, something she didn't have to size up and honestly it was less than a snack for her but I wanted to offer something to jump start her hunger again. She came right out of her hide, tongue flicking and struck immediately. Maybe wait a little while to offer then give a mouse like me?
    0.1 Enchi Super Pastel

Thanks

My ball didn't eat from December until May last year and I freaked a lot. I would line her feeding up with my Hog Island so that if she didn't eat, he would get his as scheduled. I tried everything - smaller food, white vs colored feeder, etc. Eventually I cleaned her enclosure out, washed everything down and replaced the substrate and tried one week later. She started eating again and has been good until about three weeks ago. She has been hit or miss and will sometimes eat at her normal time and sometimes not. I am now attempting to feed her the same night as one of the boas. If she takes the rat, great, the boa gets fed tomorrow. If she doesn't take it (leave it in her enclosure for the evening), then, just before I go to bed, whichever boa is scheduled gets his meal. She did lose a bunch of weight last winter but got through it fine.
    Last edited by BWB; 03-06-2017 at 11:19 AM.