Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 863

0 members and 863 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Baby Hognose Started Biting

Hey guys,

I posted this on a different site, with a couple responses, but this one seems more active so I decided to ask here as well(paranoid first snake mom). Basically I got my first hognose about a month and a half ago. I'm not sure of his age, but he currently weighs around 14g-15g. About a week and a half ago his personality started to change. He no longer hisses, unless it's shortly after he ate, but he started trying to bite while being handled. I used to be able to handle him with no problems, he'd just cruise around on my hands and look around. Now as soon as I put him in the palm of my hand he freezes for a second and then tries to bite. I've always washed my hands before picking him up. He has no problems with me getting him water or anything, just while holding him. Is it normal for babies to start biting? Will he grow out of this? It's hard to hold him right now because he tries to bite every time, so I'm unsure of how to tame him. I feed him a frozen/thawed pinky every 5 days, should I be feeding him more often? From what I've gathered from the people on the other site, western hognose's pretty much never bite defensively, but as a feeding instinct. I swear he's been growing in length and thickness over the past week or so, so he could be on the brink of a growth spurt. They also said that babies will normally grow out of this, which put me at ease, but once again I'm a paranoid first snake mom so I want to get as many opinions as possible.

Thanks!

Ashleigh

Also, here's a pic of the sassy little guy. He's a snow morph

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impa_111213 For This Useful Post:

EmilyandArlo (03-12-2017),se7en (03-11-2017),Vithaxton (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    my snow hoggie just started trying to bite me recently (he's 35 g). when he was smaller, he was timid. but that he's got a little size on him, he seems to want to eat everything he sees, including a 190 lb human.

i'm not yet experienced enough with the species to give any good advice though. i sure do hope they all grow out of it.