Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,134

1 members and 2,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Are you able to breed a blotched kingsnake and a California Kingsnake?

Hi, my name is Jimmy and I own a female blotched kingsnake named Nyla. Now I have been thinking about getting myself a California kingsnake in the future because they are BEAUTIFUL to me. Now i was wondering if I had both could I breed them? Not professionally. So I'm not going to any specific morphs

Thanks

Re: Are you able to breed a blotched kingsnake and a California Kingsnake?

yes, they are both lampropeltis getulus and could produce offspring. But why?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    yes, they are both lampropeltis getulus and could produce offspring. But why?
    Curiosity mostly. I just think there both beautiful types of kingsnakes and I would love to see that. But idk if I am breeding. Its just a thought

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadowjimmy107 View Post
    Curiosity mostly. I just think there both beautiful types of kingsnakes and I would love to see that. But idk if I am breeding. Its just a thought
    crossing of lampropeltis sub species has been done in every imaginable combo. in my opinion to the detriment of the hobby. your curiosity can easily be satisfied by googling the cross in question. it's been done countless times. you're right, they are both beautiful snakes; it's a kingsnake thing, they're all great. enjoy them as they are.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

paulh (04-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    crossing of lampropeltis sub species has been done in every imaginable combo. in my opinion to the detriment of the hobby. your curiosity can easily be satisfied by googling the cross in question. it's been done countless times. you're right, they are both beautiful snakes; it's a kingsnake thing, they're all great. enjoy them as they are.
    I thought so but im not doing it for the rare morph or anything. If I do this it would be my first time and it would be mostly be for the experience

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Bad idea.... You essentially will produce hybrid offspring that may or may not have issues with fertility and reproduction as adults. It's one thing to breed snakes that have similar geographical ranges but differing localities as opposed to ones that are not even related geographically. Hybridization is really not encouraged however intergrades are phenomenon that occur naturally in the wild and much more acceptable. The two snakes you want to breed would never meet in the wild but being forced to breed in the terrarium is kind of cruel in my opinion.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Bad idea.... You essentially will produce hybrid offspring that may or may not have issues with fertility and reproduction as adults. It's one thing to breed snakes that have similar geographical ranges but differing localities as opposed to ones that are not even related geographically. Hybridization is really not encouraged however intergrades are phenomenon that occur naturally in the wild and much more acceptable. The two snakes you want to breed would never meet in the wild but being forced to breed in the terrarium is kind of cruel in my opinion.
    That being said I will probably just get another blotched king

Thanks
    I have read no reports about fertility issues in hybrid snakes. Lets be accurate in the reasons as to why you should or shouldn't try it. Unless the offspring are unusually spectacular, like a Imperial Pueblan milk snake, then you would have a very hard time finding homes for the offspring. Are you prepared to care for the offspring for life or at least prepared to feed off the babies?
    RAD House Reptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Are you able to breed a blotched kingsnake and a California Kingsnake?

Quote Originally Posted by AntTheDestroyer View Post
    I have read no reports about fertility issues in hybrid snakes. Lets be accurate in the reasons as to why you should or shouldn't try it. Unless the offspring are unusually spectacular, like a Imperial Pueblan milk snake, then you would have a very hard time finding homes for the offspring. Are you prepared to care for the offspring for life or at least prepared to feed off the babies?
    That's a great point about Imperial Pueblans being spectacular ...even then the odds are bad for you getting an absolute stunner like the one I managed to acquire - after 12 months of begging and persuading the breeder .

Mine was described as an Imperial Pueblan King snake ( Pueblan Milk x Albino Cali King ) .

It took years and years to get one as nice as this and it cost a fortune to convince him to release it ) .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-04-2017 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    That's a great point about Imperial Pueblans being spectacular ...even then the odds are bad for you getting an absolute stunner like the one I managed to acquire - after 12 months of begging and persuading the breeder .

Mine was described as an Imperial Pueblan King snake ( Pueblan Milk x Albino Cali King ) .

It took years and years to get one as nice as this and it cost a fortune to convince him to release it ) .

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

halfnakedlife (03-04-2017),Linkin (05-08-2017),Lizardlicks (03-04-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast