Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

1 members and 3,031 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: USARK Alert: Arlington County, VA

Quote Originally Posted by montymiow View Post
    That's absolutely insane! What snake can you guarantee won't exceed 4ft?
    Male savu python, if mine is any indication.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

montymiow (03-03-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Male savu python, if mine is any indication.
    I'm a little ashamed i had to Google these, oh well Today I Learned
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by montymiow View Post
    I'm a little ashamed i had to Google these, oh well Today I Learned
    Don't be, they're not common and not legal to import any more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

montymiow (03-03-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Streller View Post
    ... Makes me feel incredibly lucky that here in the United Kingdom our environmental agency are incredibly reasonable with regards to what you can and cannot keep. ...
    Can you (legally) feed live rodents?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Praomys View Post
    Can you (legally) feed live rodents?
    Live feeding is legal in the UK, as long as it isn't unnecessary suffering, pretty sure I read somewhere it was the 1910/11 act. Not too clued up on what would count as unnecessary in the eyes of the law though
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    ACTION ALERT: Arlington County, Virginial
    l have only 60 days from the effective date to either register or "dispose of" each animal, and would thereafter be required to obtain annual permit for each animal kept. The addition of future animals would be banned (meaning you could not get a pet hedgehog or corn snake next year).
    1. BANNED: Snakes exceeding four (4) feet in length;
    2. BANNED: the following list of “wild or exotic animals” would be banned: hedgehog, sugar glider, all non-human primates, raccoon, skunk, wolf and wolf hybrids, coyote, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, bear, small wild cats including hybrids (meaning all but domestic cat, Felis catus), all crocodilians
    3. BANNED: any other warm-blooded animal, poisonous snake or reptile or tarantula that can normally be found in the wild state (This is the vague language mentioned.)
    4. BANNED: breeding of all above species.
    5. All movement of registered animals (within and out of County) must be reported to the Animal Control Agency;
    6. Deaths/euthanizations of animals must be reported
    7. Failure to register may result in "seizure or disposal of the animal at cost to the owner;"
    8. First-time penalty is Class 4 misdemeanor and fine up to $250 (per day). Second penalty is Class 3 misdemeanor and fine up to $500 (per day).
    Not that I am supporting ALL of this - however wild animals should never be kept as pets. I am a Va native and have snakes and also have raised 100's of wild animals.

Va is having issues with people breeding "designer" foxes and wolf-hybrids that people then dump or can't care for which makes me furious, also people watch the cute raccoons and such on youtube then when they find one as a baby they decide to keep it instead of turning it over to wildlife authorities. Witch in the end leads to the animal imprinting / becoming aggressive then being euthanized. Around the start of fall someone released a fenic fox (neighbor watched them toss it out the back door) because it was "messy". Another 'reptile collector' here had several alligators outside but never heated their pool this winter- animal control was called when they started to rot and someone finally noticed.

The vague language is most likely trying to encompass a broad range of animals that they just don't have time or inclination to list by the species. I also work in the exotic veterinary / wildlife field and the amount of stupid people trying to own these kinds of animals sickens me - especially when I see hedgehogs and sugar gliders crippled to the point of self-mutilation from malnutrition and improper care. I would rather these animals be banned than continue to allow them to be easily available pets.

No one needs these animals as pets, nor should anyone be able to keep them. Those of you on here that are responsible owners - would you rather have to do the responsible thing by law and register your pet / pay a license fee (which will discourage people who "just like big cool snakes / i wanna tiger" or have them available to every person who wants one on a whim and can't /is unwilling to care for it?? As for banning wild animals native to Virginia, that makes sense - especially since they are banning three of the top 6 rabies vectors (fox / skunk / raccoon). It is hard enough to get the public to turn over wild animals that they have "rescued" without them thinking it is ok for them to be pets, at least this way there is a law to quote.

*end rant* (could keep going, but then I'd just make more people mad)
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 03-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    If they're coming from a reputable breeder, the designer foxes are 4-6 generations removed from the wild at least, and would never be able to survive on their own, much like the bunnies discussed early. I'm not for banning, but I sure am for requiring a permit to obtain and keep, as well as a separate permit to breed and sell. Foxes are a lot like parrots, high maintenance pets that need large enclosures with both indoor and outdoor space and a good deal of mental simulation and socialization to keep them out of trouble. Like any exotic, not everyone should own one, only those really dedicated to the challenge and understand the needs of their animal. Raccoons however NEVER tame out the way foxes have proven able to do and should not be kept as pets. And ALL wild babies should never be collected or kept as pets; wildlife rehabs only if it's a baby that needs help!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (03-06-2017)

Thanks

I should amend that I am more focused on the mammals - because that is what I deal with on a regular basis. As far as reptiles - that is another thing all together. I don't think all species should be banned, but there should be some regulation that discourages people who are not willing to go all the way for care / husbandry / life span etc no matter the species. It's a hassle for us, but I'd be totally willing to pay a yearly fee to keep my snake
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 03-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    If they're coming from a reputable breeder, the designer foxes are 4-6 generations removed from the wild at least, and would never be able to survive on their own, much like the bunnies discussed early. I'm not for banning, but I sure am for requiring a permit to obtain and keep, as well as a separate permit to breed and sell. Foxes are a lot like parrots, high maintenance pets that need large enclosures with both indoor and outdoor space and a good deal of mental simulation and socialization to keep them out of trouble. Like any exotic, not everyone should own one, only those really dedicated to the challenge and understand the needs of their animal. Raccoons however NEVER tame out the way foxes have proven able to do and should not be kept as pets. And ALL wild babies should never be collected or kept as pets; wildlife rehabs only if it's a baby that needs help!
    I second that. Especially the part about raccoons and wild orphans (it's so hard to convince people that release is the best outcome for everyone involved). I have a friend in Northern Va and her clinic euthanizes foxes regularly for "behavior issues" since people try and treat them like house cats and they just aren't. I love foxes, one of my favorite things to raise, but man, I would never want one as a pet.
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 03-06-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    Not that I am supporting ALL of this - however wild animals should never be kept as pets. I am a Va native and have snakes and also have raised 100's of wild animals.

Va is having issues with people breeding "designer" foxes and wolf-hybrids that people then dump or can't care for which makes me furious, also people watch the cute raccoons and such on youtube then when they find one as a baby they decide to keep it instead of turning it over to wildlife authorities. Witch in the end leads to the animal imprinting / becoming aggressive then being euthanized. Around the start of fall someone released a fenic fox (neighbor watched them toss it out the back door) because it was "messy". Another 'reptile collector' here had several alligators outside but never heated their pool this winter- animal control was called when they started to rot and someone finally noticed.

The vague language is most likely trying to encompass a broad range of animals that they just don't have time or inclination to list by the species. I also work in the exotic veterinary / wildlife field and the amount of stupid people trying to own these kinds of animals sickens me - especially when I see hedgehogs and sugar gliders crippled to the point of self-mutilation from malnutrition and improper care. I would rather these animals be banned than continue to allow them to be easily available pets.

No one needs these animals as pets, nor should anyone be able to keep them. Those of you on here that are responsible owners - would you rather have to do the responsible thing by law and register your pet / pay a license fee (which will discourage people who "just like big cool snakes / i wanna tiger" or have them available to every person who wants one on a whim and can't /is unwilling to care for it?? As for banning wild animals native to Virginia, that makes sense - especially since they are banning three of the top 6 rabies vectors (fox / skunk / raccoon). It is hard enough to get the public to turn over wild animals that they have "rescued" without them thinking it is ok for them to be pets, at least this way there is a law to quote.

*end rant* (could keep going, but then I'd just make more people mad)
    I'm just going to be the devil's advocate here and say that technically most snakes count as exotic pets. Also, there are plenty of responsible exotic owners that never get into the media's spotlight. Anyone with money can pay a license fee. Money is not always an indicator of qualification. Skunks also make great pets, and are not difficult to take care of if you put in any effort. Rabies is a problem, but dogs can also get rabies. There are vaccinations to prevent this. I'm not saying that anyone should be able to go out and get a tiger, but there needs to be some thought put in. I also really hope that as an exotic vet (or whatever you do in this field), you don't judge owners so harshly. If I brought my animal to you and was later called "stupid" behind my back, I can guarantee you I wouldn't be too happy about it. I understand where you are coming from, but you are painting everyone with the same brush stroke. A responsible exotic owner should not be punished for the actions of an irresponsible one. Just my opinion, and I'm fine with other people not agreeing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FlynnTheBP For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (03-06-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast