Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,292

1 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: My poor baby...

Thanks

Re: My poor baby...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Honestly Ball Pythons are not good display snakes nor do they want to be handles much. You hardly see them when they are happy. Happy = Hiding with balls. At night they come out of their hides and love to climb. Build them a 1/2" PVC pipe Jungle Gym in the enclosure. Just never use tape and always cap the ends of pipes.
    My Burm is the people snake. A lot of people here have Smaller Retics for a snake that is more involved, also Blood Pythons... But Balls like to be left alone.. Just who they are.
    This is great. My first attempt at owning a snake and we get an antisocial one. Lol. All because I'm a wimp and have issues feeding live creatures to them. I would say live and learn but that may cost my little guy his health. I really wish the pet store would have been a little more forthcoming about him. They made it sound easy to care for him and never once gave the impression we couldn't take him out and about like we have been doing. The more I learn from all you guys/gals, the more I feel so bad for my baby. I'm beginning to think we aren't the best caregivers for him and I'm afraid we are going to unintentionally do him harm. This sucks. Thank for the advice. I have a lot to think about now as to what's going to best and safest for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ckrumn For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-02-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I honestly believe you are beating yourself up too much. Your snake is going to be perfectly fine if you listen to the advice people are giving you. Please remember, we were ALL new once!! I know it is frustrating right now and you feel in over your head, but I promise it gets easier if you're willing to put in the time and effort to learn and apply what you learn. Once you have your husbandry dialed in it becomes a LOT easier. BPs are NOT like little lap dogs and kittens. They are AMAZING animals and can be extremely rewarding pets. However, if you're looking for a pet you can hold and cuddle all day, it's probably not the animal for you. These are wild, primitive animals which we raise in our captivity for our enjoyment. It is our responsibility as keepers to provide them with the life they deserve, which means enclosure, husbandry, and everything else they can't seek out on their own because they are captive. Yes, they are very docile and TOLERATE handling by us humans, but they TOLERATE it and we should remember that when we handle them. They will become more comfortable with being handled as they develop trust, but they are not going to thrive being handled excessively. BPs by nature like to stay hidden where they are solitary and feel safe and secure. When being handled, they are out of their comfortable, safe environment. Chances are, depending on weather/climate where you live, they are also below their comfortable temperature gradient, which can cause serious health issues including, but not limited to, respiratory infection. Over handling can cause stress, which depletes the animals immune system as well. Not to mention, stressed animals will be less inclined to eat regularly. Don't worry, though, as your animal gets bigger, stronger and healthier he will be more comfortable being handled, as long as it is within reason. Please be patient, it will all work out if you ask questions, listen, learn and apply what you learn. You seem to have your heart set on creating a loving, healthy home for your snake. You're asking questions and seem to be applying a good portion of what you're learning. Don't give up, I truly believe that with due diligence you are going to provide a fantastic home for your snake (you'll probably want another soon, and another, and another, hahahahaha). Keep in mind, this amazing animal can be a part of your family for a very long time, so try to resist the temptation to over handle, there is PLENTY of time to enjoy your snake!

Good luck, keep asking questions and learning!! We are here for you and your snake.
    Keep us posted!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-02-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I honestly believe you are beating yourself up too much. Your snake is going to be perfectly fine if you listen to the advice people are giving you. Please remember, we were ALL new once!! I know it is frustrating right now and you feel in over your head, but I promise it gets easier if you're willing to put in the time and effort to learn and apply what you learn. Once you have your husbandry dialed in it becomes a LOT easier. BPs are NOT like little lap dogs and kittens. They are AMAZING animals and can be extremely rewarding pets. However, if you're looking for a pet you can hold and cuddle all day, it's probably not the animal for you. These are wild, primitive animals which we raise in our captivity for our enjoyment. It is our responsibility as keepers to provide them with the life they deserve, which means enclosure, husbandry, and everything else they can't seek out on their own because they are captive. Yes, they are very docile and TOLERATE handling by us humans, but they TOLERATE it and we should remember that when we handle them. They will become more comfortable with being handled as they develop trust, but they are not going to thrive being handled excessively. BPs by nature like to stay hidden where they are solitary and feel safe and secure. When being handled, they are out of their comfortable, safe environment. Chances are, depending on weather/climate where you live, they are also below their comfortable temperature gradient, which can cause serious health issues including, but not limited to, respiratory infection. Over handling can cause stress, which depletes the animals immune system as well. Not to mention, stressed animals will be less inclined to eat regularly. Don't worry, though, as your animal gets bigger, stronger and healthier he will be more comfortable being handled, as long as it is within reason. Please be patient, it will all work out if you ask questions, listen, learn and apply what you learn. You seem to have your heart set on creating a loving, healthy home for your snake. You're asking questions and seem to be applying a good portion of what you're learning. Don't give up, I truly believe that with due diligence you are going to provide a fantastic home for your snake (you'll probably want another soon, and another, and another, hahahahaha). Keep in mind, this amazing animal can be a part of your family for a very long time, so try to resist the temptation to over handle, there is PLENTY of time to enjoy your snake!

Good luck, keep asking questions and learning!! We are here for you and your snake.
    Keep us posted!
    Thanks for the pep talk. I am set on doing what's right for him and I do understand long term care for pets. I have a cat that is almost 17 years old and I am the only owner of her. Picked her out of the litter before her eyes were even open. I'm a firm believer is when an animal comes into my home, they don't leave until it's time for them to meet their maker. Unless re-homing is what's best for them because I'm screwing up so badly. I have never up to this point had to re-home an animal. I do agree with you on wanting another sooner rather than later, but not until I can get things worked out with him. He is very addicting for me and I believe it's because I find no so darn cute. I know I sound crazy now. Lol. Thank you again for the words of advice and the pep talk. Is there a snake breed out there you can handle more often than the balls?? Something just as pretty to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ckrumn For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

My poor baby...

Quote Originally Posted by Ckrumn View Post
    Thanks for the pep talk. I am set on doing what's right for him and I do understand long term care for pets. I have a cat that is almost 17 years old and I am the only owner of her. Picked her out of the litter before her eyes were even open. I'm a firm believer is when an animal comes into my home, they don't leave until it's time for them to meet their maker. Unless re-homing is what's best for them because I'm screwing up so badly. I have never up to this point had to re-home an animal. I do agree with you on wanting another sooner rather than later, but not until I can get things worked out with him. He is very addicting for me and I believe it's because I find no so darn cute. I know I sound crazy now. Lol. Thank you again for the words of advice and the pep talk. Is there a snake breed out there you can handle more often than the balls?? Something just as pretty to look at.

Forgive me as I haven't had time to read through the whole thread ( Aspergers / dyslexic so takes longer ) but I just saw your last reply and thought I'd have a word or two .. .... You sound like a real nice human being - always a good place to start

I'm sure you'll soon be feeling real comfortable with your Royal ( OK Ball ) Python .

For now I'd stick with your current set up with a few modifications here and there , most have probably been mentioned by others .

For now I'd simply spray / mist the tank well now and a few more times throughout the day , tomorrow morning there's then the chance that there will be a rolled up shedded skin lying around somewhere ( usually in the hide ) ...

Last edited by Zincubus; 03-02-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks

My poor baby...

Continued .....

As you've already noticed it's basically an addiction for some people

I can speak from experience having 20 snakes currently with an Anerythristic Mexican Sand Boa coming on the 13th March ... and I still scour the snake classifieds avidly !!!

For now ( whilst you're getting used to keeping your Royal ) you should spend hours and hours of your free time reading through this forum , check on the cafe sheets , check in the help section and generally absorb as much information as you can . You sound like a real bright kid so that should be no problem .

As I said I haven't read through ALL the replies just the first few but you can see that even the experienced guys / gals have different ideas on snake keeping - the saying goes " there's more than one way to skin a cat " which is a tad unfortunate with you having a pet cat - sorry

Last edited by Zincubus; 03-02-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I agree that I think your being to hard on yourself. It's not all fault on you, Could you of researched a little more before you got him, sure but why would you when the pet shop leads you to believe that theres nothing to it? I wish pet shops had a little more care for their animals, had more knowledgeable employees and informed new pet owners of exactly what the animals require to be healthy but unfortunately most just care about making the sale.

The thing is, you have him now and your doing the right thing by researching and learning so you can provide the care that he needs. It seems complicated at first but it really isn't. 5 hours is a lot of handling for any animal lol, so don't think the ball python was a bad choice just because of that. They are actually a lot more tolerable of being handled than many reptiles and they are rarely aggressive which is why they are sold in pet stores so often, hard to sell an aggressive snake.

You will be fine. Just get your temperature and humidity right and then you can move on to researching how to get him to eat. After that, you will feel a lot better and start to be able to enjoy your new pet instead of stressing about it. I think your heart is in the right place and that is most important imo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-02-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Forgive me as I haven't had time to read through the whole thread ( Aspergers / dyslexic so takes longer ) but I just saw your last reply and thought I'd have a word or two .. .... You sound like a real nice human being - always a good place to start

I'm sure you'll soon be feeling real comfortable with your Royal ( OK Ball ) Python .

For now I'd stick with your current set up with a few modifications here and there , most have probably been mentioned by others .

For now I'd simply spray / mist the tank well now and a few more times throughout the day , tomorrow morning there's then the chance that there will be a rolled up shedded skin lying around somewhere ( usually in the hide ) ...

What you just said is exactly what I'm doing. No handling, two bowls of water, enters hides, wet towel over the screen top, and lots of misting multiple times a day. I'm stoping on my way home from work to get a new temp/humility reader for the tank. Once I know what the true readings I'm sure I get it under control. It's just tough getting started and I'm a bleeding heart when it comes to all creatures great and small. I have a lot of guilt going on right now for having done more research before getting him. I'm a woman. We are emotional by nature. Add to that the mistakes I've been making and I'm ready to cry. I truly want what's best for him. I love him so much already.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ckrumn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-02-2017),Zincubus (03-02-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What you just said is exactly what I'm doing. No handling, two bowls of water, enters hides, wet towel over the screen top, and lots of misting multiple times a day. I'm stoping on my way home from work to get a new temp/humility reader for the tank. Once I know what the true readings I'm sure I get it under control. It's just tough getting started and I'm a bleeding heart when it comes to all creatures great and small. I have a lot of guilt going on right now for having done more research before getting him. I'm a woman. We are emotional by nature. Add to that the mistakes I've been making and I'm ready to cry. I truly want what's best for him. I love him so much already.

Just think a lot of people don't do any research whatsoever and when issues like this happen they just let it go and think "it'll be ok he'll come out of it". I see to many people selling on Craigslist of a setup plus snake for outrageous price and all they have is 1 hide, 1 HUGE tank, 1 water bowl, 1 uth, carpet, and the snake. That's it...your doing great keep up the good work and learn from the mistakes and your lil one will be just fine

1.0 pastel 100% het piebald
    0.1 pastel enchi 100% het clown

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBotteron For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-02-2017),Zincubus (03-02-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

My pleasure, that's what we're her for, to help...
    I have no doubt, based on everything I've read in this thread, that you will figure it out and provide a fantastic life-long home for your snake. You don't sound crazy at all, just excited. Who can blame you? You've got an awesome new animal at home!! We all still get excited to bring a new snake home, that's why you see people proudly posting pics of their new snakes, even if they already have/have had several, dozens, even hundreds of snakes. It's exciting because we are passionate about the animals we choose to keep, and your passion is showing in your excitement. Unfortunately, the snakes don't share that excitement and just want to be left alone to adjust, learn how to survive and not be eaten. All they know is how to survive=eat and don't be eaten. They hide to avoid being eaten, and until they are adjusted and feel safe in their enclosure, EVERYTHING is a threat that is trying to eat them, including us. They will soon realize that we are not a threat and develop a trust, but first they must feel comfortable in their enclosure. So be patient, I know its hard, but it is what's best for the animal, and in time will benefit you as well. You will be able to handle your snake regularly while maintaining a safe, healthy environment. As far as snakes that can be handled more, I really don't know if there are any that are easier to handle and tolerate handling better than BPs, maybe somebody else might know more, but I personally don't. I also have an adult Cali King and two juvenile Corn snakes and absolutely love them as well. Both come in beautiful morphs and their husbandry requirements are more forgiving than BPs. They are longer, more narrow snakes and tend to be more curious and on-the-go while being handled, but should definitely be given the same time to adjust as well as handling limitations. My King will often be out for an hour or so at a time, but he's also had plenty of time with me, has proper husbandry and eats like a champ, so he is well adjusted. My BP is still a juvenile (approx. 22 inches and 188 grams as of a few days ago) and has been with me since mid January. I usually handle him daily for about 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer, at a time. He is doing extremely well, eating like a horse and growing like a weed. I'm actually expecting him to shed today and hoping to get some nice new pictures of his fresh-shed beauty.
    Anyway, keep doing what you're doing as far as questioning, learning and applying. I have faith in you and truly believe your snake is in a great home. We are all rooting for you and here when you need us.

- - - Updated - - -

My pleasure, that's what we're her for, to help...
    I have no doubt, based on everything I've read in this thread, that you will figure it out and provide a fantastic life-long home for your snake. You don't sound crazy at all, just excited. Who can blame you? You've got an awesome new animal at home!! We all still get excited to bring a new snake home, that's why you see people proudly posting pics of their new snakes, even if they already have/have had several, dozens, even hundreds of snakes. It's exciting because we are passionate about the animals we choose to keep, and your passion is showing in your excitement. Unfortunately, the snakes don't share that excitement and just want to be left alone to adjust, learn how to survive and not be eaten. All they know is how to survive=eat and don't be eaten. They hide to avoid being eaten, and until they are adjusted and feel safe in their enclosure, EVERYTHING is a threat that is trying to eat them, including us. They will soon realize that we are not a threat and develop a trust, but first they must feel comfortable in their enclosure. So be patient, I know its hard, but it is what's best for the animal, and in time will benefit you as well. You will be able to handle your snake regularly while maintaining a safe, healthy environment. As far as snakes that can be handled more, I really don't know if there are any that are easier to handle and tolerate handling better than BPs, maybe somebody else might know more, but I personally don't. I also have an adult Cali King and two juvenile Corn snakes and absolutely love them as well. Both come in beautiful morphs and their husbandry requirements are more forgiving than BPs. They are longer, more narrow snakes and tend to be more curious and on-the-go while being handled, but should definitely be given the same time to adjust as well as handling limitations. My King will often be out for an hour or so at a time, but he's also had plenty of time with me, has proper husbandry and eats like a champ, so he is well adjusted. My BP is still a juvenile (approx. 22 inches and 188 grams as of a few days ago) and has been with me since mid January. I usually handle him daily for about 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer, at a time. He is doing extremely well, eating like a horse and growing like a weed. I'm actually expecting him to shed today and hoping to get some nice new pictures of his fresh-shed beauty.
    Anyway, keep doing what you're doing as far as questioning, learning and applying. I have faith in you and truly believe your snake is in a great home. We are all rooting for you and here when you need us.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-02-2017)

Thanks

My poor baby...

Well I'd relax , carry on and see what tomorrow brings - probably good news , I suspect .

If it looks a right mess in the morning with skin hanging off it it's still nothing to worry about , it will just look bad to YOU . Anyways if that is the case . I'm not opposed to a 20 minute soak in a secure plastic tub ( snake temp water ) . I'd keep it in view and just watch telly or read whilst it's soaking ( just so you don't get distracted and end up leaving it for hours !)

Have a wet , rough textured towel at the ready and then get him out and let him slither through the towel in your hands , when his head pops out simply cover with the towel and keep letting him crawl through around in the towel . Apply just very gentle pressure .
    This method more or less guarantees that the dead skin will come off on the towel and he'll look splendid . He won't look as wrinkled either as it helps with dehydration ..

Even though quite a few others have also suggested a short soaking ... you will probably see a few people speaking against the idea - I can only speak from experience a was told to that many ,many years ago and it does work extremely well .

Many say you shouldn't forcibly make them soak and give them a big tub to choose to soak in .... it's all opinion , I guess .

Last edited by Zincubus; 03-02-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast