Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

5 members and 3,272 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: My poor baby...

Thanks

Re: My poor baby...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    I do soak when needed.. But i also would give him a day to do this on his own. When i soak i do so for 15 min and in 88 degee water, that is more than enough ( lid on) to soften up a dry shed. 2 hours is a tottaly unnecssary period of time for a ball python and i don't suggest extreme things to newbies as the snakes are already stressed from the home change, husbandry not on and new owners lack of knowledge. If you look a couple posts back youll see the snake is handled for 5 hours a day....
    If your a 20 year snake keeper im sure you understand what might be common sense to us isnt common sense to unexperienced keepers. Im a 29 year owner of burms and balls and im amazed at the craziness i see on here everyday. Cripe today someone thought they bought a Corn Snake and its a Hatchling Albino Burm. I feel bad for that animal in the hands of a teen when they cant take care of it.
    I'm doing my best to learn as much as I can about how to care for my baby. I'm not some young teen who who thinks I know everything there is to know about snakes. Yes, right now I know I'm in way over my head, but you have to start somewhere. I'm doing everything I can to make things right for him. I just need to get him through this shed and healthy on the other side. I will learn from my mistakes and not repeat them going forward. I can promise that much. Thanks for the advice. Everything helps at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ckrumn View Post
    I'm doing my best to learn as much as I can about how to care for my baby. I'm not some young teen who who thinks I know everything there is to know about snakes. Yes, right now I know I'm in way over my head, but you have to start somewhere. I'm doing everything I can to make things right for him. I just need to get him through this shed and healthy on the other side. I will learn from my mistakes and not repeat them going forward. I can promise that much. Thanks for the advice. Everything helps at this point.

Your doing great and asking questions.. Im responding to the other person that wanted to know why i went against his post about 2 hours of soaking.
    Keep up the reseach and youll have a healthy albino. Yours looks like both of mine and my burms albino too.
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 03-02-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    I've soaked my garter snakes before, but never for over fifteen minutes simply because I don't want to spend time supervising them when fifteen minutes works just fine. It also seems to stress the snakes out. Ultimately though, it's your choice. Good luck and keep us updated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLikeSneks View Post

The serious part is if the eye caps (scales over the eyes) came off. From the picture kind of looks like they did but I'm not sure. If they didn't you'll need to assist in removing those too, but I've never had to do that myself so I'll let someone else explain that.
    If you think the eye caps were retained, leave them alone. Make sure your husbandry is perfect up until the next shed and he will shed them off. The snake will be fine and you run the risk of damaging his eyes if you try to take them off yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnTheBP View Post
    I've soaked my garter snakes before, but never for over fifteen minutes simply because I don't want to spend time supervising them when fifteen minutes works just fine. It also seems to stress the snakes out. Ultimately though, it's your choice. Good luck and keep us updated!
    I started soaking him back in Saturday because the pet store we got him from said he was dehydrated. We couldn't get him to eat. I was completely unaware that he was coming due for a shed. I feel pretty awful now because I'm not sure if soaking him is what may have caused some of the issues he is having now. I was soaking him for 20 minutes twice a day for Saturday, Sunday, and once on Monday. Came home from work on Tuesday and almost panicked when I saw his head looked like a massive blister had just popped around his eye. I know now he was just starting his shed. I hate this feeling of not doing enough of the right things for him.

Thanks

If you are having humidity problems, add some sphagnum moss in the enclosure and even some in the hides. Keep it damp. I also started using cypress mulch when I had tanks and that helped the humidity stay higher.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKO View Post
    If you think the eye caps were retained, leave them alone. Make sure your husbandry is perfect up until the next shed and he will shed them off. The snake will be fine and you run the risk of damaging his eyes if you try to take them off yourself.

His eyes look good. I can tell for sure the left side is clear. The right looks clear as well, but I need a closer look to be sure. I want to check him over, but I don't want to harm him any so I'm gonna leave him for a few days but watch through the tank.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKO View Post
    If you are having humidity problems, add some sphagnum moss in the enclosure and even some in the hides. Keep it damp. I also started using cypress mulch when I had tanks and that helped the humidity stay higher.

What is the risk factor for molds growing?? I know it may be a pretty stupid question, but dampness/water and wood sometimes equals science experiments you really don't want to play with. How often should we change out his bedding?? We are doing it once a week right now.

Thanks

I started soaking him back in Saturday because the pet store we got him from said he was dehydrated. We couldn't get him to eat. I was completely unaware that he was coming due for a shed. I feel pretty awful now because I'm not sure if soaking him is what may have caused some of the issues he is having now. I was soaking him for 20 minutes twice a day for Saturday, Sunday, and once on Monday. Came home from work on Tuesday and almost panicked when I saw his head looked like a massive blister had just popped around his eye. I know now he was just starting his shed. I hate this feeling of not doing enough of the right things for him.

Snakes secret oils naturally to help them shed. Soaking them before they start a shed process will remove the oils and make it harder to shed. Soaking should really be a last resort option. Also, haven't seen this mentioned but never try to pick the shed off. You can damage scales that way.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SKO For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-02-2017)

Thanks

What is the risk factor for molds growing?? I know it may be a pretty stupid question, but dampness/water and wood sometimes equals science experiments you really don't want to play with. How often should we change out his bedding?? We are doing it once a week right now.

I never had an issue with mold. Keep the moss damp, not Soaking wet. what substrate are you using? Most people change substrate once a month or even less.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast