Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

3 members and 2,934 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Registered User Kevin Djuvfeldt's Avatar
    Thanks

Question My baby Burmese wont eat

i had him for over a week now and i tried to feed him 2 times last one today when i bring the mouse (hoppers/fuzzies) hes not intrested my boa he eat well but my burmse doesnt even flicker hes tounge when i bring him food
    does anyone know the problem?
    here is some pics

http://imgur.com/a/y2EmU

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: My baby Burmese wont eat

Could be anything to be honest ...

Best to put down details of the set up including -: feeding LIVE or thawed frozen , advise temps at warm and cooler end , heat mat / ceramic ? , regulated by a thermostat ? , where's the stat probe situated , what kind of thermometer are you using to take the temps ? , how and WHEN did you offer the hopper ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

My baby Burmese wont eat

Also .... Many snakes take a week or two to simply settle down , best to leave them for a period before offering food and certainly don't handle until they've fed at least once or twice ...

Some will feed better in the evenings .. some prefer to have the mouse / rat warmed up and dangled in front of them some prefer to have the rat dropped on some card and left in overnight ...

So many options to consider ....

So many things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-01-2017 at 11:04 AM.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts
    My Burm doesnt like those bright lights and also his enclosure is only Glass in the front. You have a very tiny baby there so he is feeling vulnerable. All th glass to him is like being in the middle of a field without protection.
    Cover the 3 sides woth insulation foam or carboard. That will give him security.. And Id change that heat bulb to a CHE so ther isnt LIGHT shining on him in order to heat him. For display purposes a Light is ok, then turn it back off when your done looking.
    Make sure all your Heat is regulated with atleast dimmer/tstats.. To cool/to hot/ no Humidity= not feeding.
    Try the feeding 5 days after you make the changes.. Give him some time to adjust and try the feeding after 8pm.
    He is Gorgeous. When I got mine 20 years ago all they had were Albino or Normal... The color patterns today are amazing.
    PS: this guy is going to grow kike a weed. Mine got 5' within the first year.. Think about PVC enclosures for the next purchase. He will need a 6' minimum, I have a 8' for mine.
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 03-01-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-01-2017),Zincubus (03-01-2017)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks
    lol you same cat that thought this burm was a corn snake when you bought it?

Thanks

Kevin - you sure that's not a corn snake (just kidding! couldn't resist)

In all seriousness, make sure you check out this care sheet for taking care of your new snake:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...rus-bivittatus)

I'm not familiar with the needs of Burmese, but most snakes when they're so young are food in the wild, so they like a lot of hiding spots and not open area. Also, don't try to feed him so often --- trying once per week is sufficient. If he's stressed and needs time to settle, attempting to feed too often will only compound the stress. Also, he may have been fed live mice/rats previously, so offering frozen/thawed (if that's what you're doing) may be foreign to him.

Any luck finding a girlfriend?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

So you are feeding a fuzzy/hopper to a burmese?

That would ve one of your issue (there are probably more), due to the extreme small size of the feeder it's not recognized as a prey item.

Fuzzies are small colubrid food, hopper are starter food for BP and even they outgrow them very quickly.

Now would be a good time to catch up on the research that should have been done prior to your impulse buy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-01-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-01-2017),cletus (03-01-2017),Craiga 01453 (03-01-2017),Kira (03-01-2017),tttaylorrr (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Hi Kevin,
    I would definitely increase the size of food. You can double feed if you need to until you need to buy more mice. When your burm is fully grown, he will need a huge enclosure and large prey such as rabbits, chickens, etc. I left you a care sheet link on your previous thread. Good luck!

Thanks
    Also, what kind of vivarium does that boa constrictor have?
    Last edited by FlynnTheBP; 03-01-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Registered User Kevin Djuvfeldt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    My Burm doesnt like those bright lights and also his enclosure is only Glass in the front. You have a very tiny baby there so he is feeling vulnerable. All th glass to him is like being in the middle of a field without protection.
    Cover the 3 sides woth insulation foam or carboard. That will give him security.. And Id change that heat bulb to a CHE so ther isnt LIGHT shining on him in order to heat him. For display purposes a Light is ok, then turn it back off when your done looking.
    Make sure all your Heat is regulated with atleast dimmer/tstats.. To cool/to hot/ no Humidity= not feeding.
    Try the feeding 5 days after you make the changes.. Give him some time to adjust and try the feeding after 8pm.
    He is Gorgeous. When I got mine 20 years ago all they had were Albino or Normal... The color patterns today are amazing.
    PS: this guy is going to grow kike a weed. Mine got 5' within the first year.. Think about PVC enclosures for the next purchase. He will need a 6' minimum, I have a 8' for mine.
    I made fixed the glass walls so he maybe feels a bit better it might not look 100% like Nature but its the best i could do atm and i got him another hiding spot.
    Also what size mice do you recomend me feeding Pinkie? fuzzy? adult?

heres the terarium now http://imgur.com/a/y2EmU

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast