Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,077

0 members and 3,077 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

What are the Genetic Traits among Mice and Rats

First off I know this forum thread or whatever is mainly mouse related, but for some reason couldn't find one for just breeding rats but I need help and advice... Anyways... Okay, so I started collecting ball pythons about a year or so ago (hell of an addicting hobby) and recently decided to start keeping the rats that some of my BP's didn't eat for breeders because I'm spending $50 a week at least to feed them all. Well of course the ones that I keep are the ones that I like, for exampple have an all gray head besides a white dot in the middle, or have a stripe down their back, etc. All the rats that I've kept that I want to turn into breeders of course I've gotten attached to, I've even had to formula feed some for 2 weeks xD. But what I would like to know is what a good breeding size is and also if stripes down their backs and white dots on their head are genetic traits because I'm a welder and I'm welding a rat breeding rat at work and once I'm done with it and the appropriate rats are up to size if certain fur traits are genetic I'd like to pair them up like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated xD.

Thanks
    For female rats you want to wait until they're 5-6 months old and/or 250 grams. It'll insure that the female can handle the pregnancy and give you a good liter size. My latest first-time mother just gave me 12 babies. For males age doesn't matter as much, but usually the girls won't mate unless the male is bigger. Males usually grow faster than females and I haven't had any trouble breeding two rats of the same age, so long as I give the female enough time to mature.

I'm pretty new with their genetics myself, so all I can really say about patterns is that it depends on the amount of white on the rat. If you breed two with similar amounts of white and/or similar markings you should produce similar looking babies. All my males have been nearly one color with just a bit of white on them and I've noticed that when bred with different females the amount of white changes. Females with more white produce babies that have more white than the father. Females with less white produce babies with little to no white. I'm trying to breed the white out of some of my colors so I can produce selfs (single color rats) so this result is ideal for me.

What fascinates me about rats is that a lot of the colors aren't compatible. My first pairing was a brown (lilac) female to a gray (sky blue?) male and all of the babies were black. I kept a male and a female from that litter and now that they're grown up I'm hoping that I'll be able to produce the colors of the parents by breeding the siblings together. The female had her first litter a week ago and their colors are just starting to come in, so right now I can tell that some are going to be lighter than others, but I'm still not sure I'll get the exact colors I'm looking for.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ultimate size is 250 grams they can breed a lot sooner as they are sexually mature at 5 to 6 weeks of age but it does not mean they should breed.

As far as genetics and stats

http://ratguide.com/breeding/basics/statistics.php

http://www.afrma.org/
    Deborah Stewart