Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,907

1 members and 2,906 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Gerald Super Dwarf Ultra Ivory Retic Progression

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Meh, I would personally just have it made normal. I mean with Caesar, when he pushes, its not just the bottom. He will push on the sides of the door and the top of the door lol. But he is getting better at not pushing. Seemed mostly when he was a baby and growing. Now he seems to kind of stabilized so he mostly just sits on top of his hides and looks out the front of the cage lol.

AP are probably pretty busy. I talked to Ali awhile today when placing my order and she said they fell way behind because they had an issue with the black door tracks not coming in. I told her no rush on the cage as I didn't pay it off or put anything down. I told her to just put me in line for one and call me when its done and I'll pay her.

And I'll for sure let you know how the Plant It stuff works. Scheduled to be here tomorrow. Also need to let Ali know how the Herpstats work as sunrise/sunset light timers as she hasn't had a customer use them for it yet so she is curious so she can let customers know if others ask. I only set up the sunrise and sunsets to be 1 hour long so we'll see how it works.

Oh and you going for the big enchilada on the T25? Lights, shelf, flexwatt, lock?
    Never mind, Ali sent me an email about an hour ago. I'm in line for production with my order. They're just thinking up possibly better ideas for building up the track. With the way Phyllis pushes there's no way I can have that gap. Leave it without the gap filler for a day and she gets a new scrape on her bottom jaw almost every time aside from a day or two after feeding. And yeah, doing all the bells and whistles. Shelf, routed for LEDs (using my own), pro-products RHP shipped to AP to be installed, hole cut for thermostat probe, locks, custom bottom door track... snake chateau for sure hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-12-2017),Sauzo (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Eww an RHP!!?? Belly heat all the way!!! J/k. I cant use a RHP for my house. I keep it too warm. RHP would offer next to nothing for a hot spot unless I cranked it way up and then it would turn the whole cage into an oven lol.

So Phyllis still pushes bad eh? Like I said, Caesar did for awhile when he really wanted food as I've now learned he was putting it towards growth lol. But now he's pretty laid back. If I go longer than a week though, he does seem to get antsy and will cruise all over and pace the front and push some but nothing like when he was young.

And you definitely need to post picks of it when set up. You going the Gio full on nature boy set up? Or the Sauzo, keep it plain and sterile set up? Lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-12-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Eww an RHP!!?? Belly heat all the way!!! J/k. I cant use a RHP for my house. I keep it too warm. RHP would offer next to nothing for a hot spot unless I cranked it way up and then it would turn the whole cage into an oven lol.

So Phyllis still pushes bad eh? Like I said, Caesar did for awhile when he really wanted food as I've now learned he was putting it towards growth lol. But now he's pretty laid back. If I go longer than a week though, he does seem to get antsy and will cruise all over and pace the front and push some but nothing like when he was young.

And you definitely need to post picks of it when set up. You going the Gio full on nature boy set up? Or the Sauzo, keep it plain and sterile set up? Lol.
    RHP's are a great way to heat the cage and have a hot spot. It may not work for you, but there are plenty of others it does work for.

Not only do they create a hot spot, they create ambient temps within the cage that can't be obtained with belly heat alone. You must have fairly tolerant household members, because my family would be rather pissy if we had our home at temps over 70-71 degrees year round.

This guy uses AP T-25's and RHPs for all his larger retics and burns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPMlSFjQYZ0&t=926s

His biggest snakes are in the Biggest AP units you can buy.

There are many ways to do things, and many different approaches to caging and setups.

So "Belly heat all the way" isn't for everybody, nor are my naturalistic setups, or another person's tub/rack setups.

People that have been doing this for a while usually have a system they are comfortable with.

I like your setups, actually a lot, but they'd never work here.

Are you sticking with the T-25's for the largest cages Sauzo? I wish they were 24" tall and I'd grab one, but they charge for the $625 T-30 model to do it, and then add delivery. No can do here. I never heard from Matt I was going to visit yesterday, but Ed has me down for a sweet double cage.

Is Caesar a year old tomorrow?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-12-2017)

Thanks

Gerald Super Dwarf Ultra Ivory Retic Progression

I'll probably split the difference between full on display enclosure and minimalist set up. Two hides, loose substrate, big water bowl, I may install a perch or two as well. We'll see though. Either that or build a pvc jungle gym and wrap either in that flexi vine stuff with some fake foliage. Whatever makes for the most enriching environment for Phyllis while still being easy to work with and get her out of the cage without too much trouble.
    There's no way I could do flexwatt only. I move somewhat frequently and never know how well insulated my place will be so RHP is the fail safe for me at the moment. I can always add heat tape if needed in the future but the panels are doing great for me for the last year.
    I watch that same guys videos Gio. He's located a couple hours from me in Kansas City, MO. Quite the collection.
    Personally I think Wallace would do fine in a 6'x2'x2' but what works best for you and your critter is the best solution.
    I'll have to get my gf to take some pics next time I have Phyllis out. She's becoming quite the impressive animal. Right about 7' and starting to put on some weight and girth. I still think she's going to hit at least 8'+ before she tops out though

Last edited by jmcrook; 04-12-2017 at 09:05 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-12-2017),Stearns84 (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I'll probably split the difference between full on display enclosure and minimalist set up. Two hides, loose substrate, big water bowl, I may install a perch or two as well. We'll see though. Either that or build a pvc jungle gym and wrap either in that flexi vine stuff with some fake foliage. Whatever makes for the most enriching environment for Phyllis while still being easy to work with and get her out of the cage without too much trouble.
    There's no way I could do flexwatt only. I move somewhat frequently and never know how well insulated my place will be so RHP is the fail safe for me at the moment. I can always add heat tape if needed in the future but the panels are doing great for me for the last year.
    I watch that same guys videos Gio. He's located a couple hours from me in Kansas City, MO. Quite the collection.

Yeah,

He's a class act. He really does a nice job with all his animals and is quite conservative as far as safety goes.

He's a long term keeper, not a flash in the pan.

I like it!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-12-2017),Stearns84 (04-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    RHP's are a great way to heat the cage and have a hot spot. It may not work for you, but there are plenty of others it does work for.

Not only do they create a hot spot, they create ambient temps within the cage that can't be obtained with belly heat alone. You must have fairly tolerant household members, because my family would be rather pissy if we had our home at temps over 70-71 degrees year round.

This guy uses AP T-25's and RHPs for all his larger retics and burns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPMlSFjQYZ0&t=926s

His biggest snakes are in the Biggest AP units you can buy.

There are many ways to do things, and many different approaches to caging and setups.

So "Belly heat all the way" isn't for everybody, nor are my naturalistic setups, or another person's tub/rack setups.

People that have been doing this for a while usually have a system they are comfortable with.

I like your setups, actually a lot, but they'd never work here.

Are you sticking with the T-25's for the largest cages Sauzo? I wish they were 24" tall and I'd grab one, but they charge for the $625 T-30 model to do it, and then add delivery. No can do here. I never heard from Matt I was going to visit yesterday, but Ed has me down for a sweet double cage.

Is Caesar a year old tomorrow?
    I was kidding about belly heat all the way. There is no 'best' way and anyone who says there is is an idiot. Every situation requires a different set up. But really there are 3 setups....RHP alone, flexwatt alone, and RHP with flexwatt.

And yeah, I'm sticking to the T25s for end game caging. I personally think 18" will work fine for me. It's high enough to let me easily clean a 30" deep cage with a shelf. Honestly, none of my snakes really care to climb a lot. I mean they will sit up on the shelf here and there and hang their heads down but really for the most part, they seem to love to sit on top of their hides lol.

Caesar turns 1 year old May 18th. I kind of think he might be a little bigger than Kris said. But he might be right. Kris said, he should top out at 7' or a little under. He is thickening up. Here's a pic I just took of him being lazy like the boas haha. I swear, all my snakes love to just stretch out and lounge.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    That guy in the video is even more minimalist that me lol. I personally am not a fan of using paper for substrate. Nice looking AP cages though. Not sure I would go white after having a white Pro-Line.

Thanks
    And a 6x2 would be fine for Wallace. I was reading some stuff from Bob Clark in Reptiles Magazine and he was talking about how a lot of people tend to try and give retics huge cages and in actuality, they like smaller caging.

And it looks like the AP LEDs don't dim so using the Herpstat to try and simulate sunset didn't work. It does ramp the power down but even at 1%, the LED is as bright as at 100%. Oh well, back to just using the normal lamp timers lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-13-2017 at 01:37 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-13-2017),Stearns84 (04-14-2017)

Thanks

Had the little man out in the sun for a couple minutes. He positively glows in natural light. Seems to be about 4' ish now. Do some growing, Gerald! You gotta get ready for next breeding season haha

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-23-2018),Gio (05-06-2017),Reinz (05-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Gerald is looking great as always. Outdoor shots are the best.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

19. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-06-2017)

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast