Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,041

2 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Temps too cold??

Hey all, I just finished building my 6 tub rat rack and am about to start venturing into breeding for the obvious reason of snake food. I have about 13 ball pythons and a GTP that I'm going to try and feed from a home grown colony.

My plan is to just go buy a few females and males from my local mom and pop pet shop and see where it takes me. I have read a ton in here and think I have an idea of what to do.

My question is I want to keep the rats in my garage but right now it gets pretty cold at night and sometimes during the day. Right now it's getting into the low 60s and sometimes mid 50s during the night. Warms up during the day.

Is this too cold? Is there a way to retain heat? I wasn't planning on using a heater cause it will just constantly run and try to heat my whole garage.

I had a thought of possibly keeping them in my snake room but wasn't sure about smell and health concerns for the snakes. Also there is an ambient temp of 75-80 in that room.

Any input would be great. Any other tips are always welcome. Thanks!!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I breed rats and temps fluctuate between 48 to 82, you will see a drop in production below 55 and above 78, ideal temps are low to mid 70's.

If you buy rats make sure they are small rats, not adult and raise them up to optimal weight of 250 grams before pairing them. Larger rats are often past their prime for breeding.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

JHPythons (02-23-2017)

Thanks

Re: Temps too cold??

Thank you Deborah for the great info! I will give it a try.