Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,648

2 members and 2,646 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Can't get Deadmou5 to eat frozen.

I tried feeding frozen last year but he wouldn't take, I figured maybe I would try again since he's a lot bigger and frozen rats are cheaper and safer. Been trying a few weeks now and he still won't go for it no matter what I do. Temps and humidity is right. Rat is properly thawed and I've tried warming it up in warm water , wiggling it, feeding at night, etc. Are there any other tricks or will he only eat live?

Thanks
    Try leaving it out overnight to defrost, and before feeding put the rat in a sealed plastic bag in some hot water for a few minutes. This should warm it up and keep it dry
    If he doesn't take it then, just dip the rats head quickly into the hot water, then offer immediately

I managed to get two of my males off hunger strike last week by doing this. Usually I just offered the rats without dipping their heads, and they didn't get eaten often

Good luck!!
    Snakes:
    ~Ball Pythons: 1.0 Spider (Corkii) --- 1.0 Mojave (Meeko) --- 1.0 Bumblebelly (Pringle) --- 0.1 Normal (Fraggles) --- 0.1 Lesser Enchi (Khaleesi) --- 1.0 Pied (Piper)
    ~Cornsnakes: 0.1 Tessera.het Amel Motley (Twiglet) --- 1.0 Amel (Wotsit)
    ~Hognose: 0.0.1 Normal.66%hetAlbino (Waffle)
    ~Boa: 0.1 Normal (Medusa)
    ~Spotted Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Bredlis Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Burmese Python: 0.1 Granite (Skittles)
    Lizards:
    ~Crested Geckos: 1.0 Buckskin Dalmatian (Rex) --- 0.1 Orange Dalmatian (Apollo) --- 1.1 Harlequin (Cosmos / Nova) --- 1.0 Extreme Harlequin (Dino) --- 1.1 Halloween Partial Pin (Pumpkin/Unnamed) --- 1.0 Red and Cream partial pin (unnamed)
    ~Leopard Gecko: 1.0 Hypo (Dave)
    ~Bearded Dragon: 0.1 Red Leatherback.hetTrans
    ~Ackie Monitor: 0.0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Jewled Lecarta 1.0 (Wizard)
    Others:
    Tortoise, Dog, Tarantulas, Parrot

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks
    hair dryer. Blast them on high for 30-45 seconds focusing on the head. Works every time for me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would try:

(1) Scenting with a live animal if possible to get things going

(2) Feeding two smaller prey items, one live and one dead. Feed the live one first and get him excited, then right after try giving him the dead one.

(3) Try feeding with the lights off

(4) Try thawing and heating up the prey item then leaving it in his warm hide overnight.

I have gotten several picky eaters to switch over using the above or combinations of them.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My new guy is a shy eater. Wasn't having luck with F/t doing the dance, finally just left one in overnight and by morning was gone. Some snakes don't like the F/t rather dance.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chakup View Post
    My new guy is a shy eater. Wasn't having luck with F/t doing the dance, finally just left one in overnight and by morning was gone. Some snakes don't like the F/t rather dance.
    It's the only thing that works for my two Albino Royals both nervous feeders so I turn the lights very low and just make sure the rat is nice land warm before dangling in front of the hide entrance - they both grab it from within their hides ..
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks

Re: Can't get Deadmou5 to eat frozen.

Way off topic but I love your snakes name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jmiller416 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmiller416 View Post
    Way off topic but I love your snakes name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm thinking of naming my bat-sh*t crazy Bamboo Rat snake DeadPool funnily enough - due to the colours and of course the viciousness of them both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-21-2017 at 10:38 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I'm thinking of naming my bat-sh*t crazy Bamboo Rat snake DeadPool funnily enough - due to the colours and of course the viciousness of them both.

I wouldn't think twice about it, that's a perfect name! Beautiful snake!

I've noticed with picky eaters, you need to read them. If the dance draws any attention, continue and let them come to the prey. If they seem more timid, they will only become more scared. If they back away at all, your best bet is to leave them alone and try another time. Put them in a small tub in the dark and leave them to get settled. Then introduce an undersized rat or mouse, whatever they have eaten previously, freshly warmed and just barely open the top and slip it in without disturbing them and leave them alone. I've had this work with multiple timid hatchlings, they take it on their own. With timid eaters, sometimes trying too hard is the problem and actually makes things worse, scaring them and lessening the chance of them taking it. I believe each snake can need a different approach so I use a different method depending on how they act. It's funny because the more aggressive feeders will ignore a non moving food source and all it takes is a little jiggle to get them to take it. But once you see you have one that backs away from the movement, I've never convinced them to take it, they need to do it on their own terms.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-21-2017),Zincubus (02-21-2017)

Thanks

That's a very good point about the importance of the snake actually 'showing' some kind of interest in the food . Even if it's just a tongue flick . Then you have something to work with in my experience . If there is ZERO interest it's maybe worth leaving it until the next feed time ...