Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,508

1 members and 2,507 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Temperature help?

Hey everyone. I'm completely new in the world of snakes but a BP is something I have been interested in owning for years. I've had a variety of animals but have never had the opportunity to own a reptile. I'm not ready to get one yet since I still have plenty of research to do, and it honestly may not even happen right now because I'm concerned about the temperature requirements.

I'm aware that snakes live in higher temperatures and require a heating source. My problem is that the only place I have room to keep one is in my bedroom... Which also houses my chinchilla. Chinchillas require low temperatures so my bedroom is usually cold. It never gets higher than 70, usually stays between 60-65.
    Can I efficiently keep the snake at the proper temperatures in a room that cold? Since this would be my first animal that requires a heating source, I'm not sure how difficult it is to maintain the temperature of the tank in a colder area.

Someone also mentioned that keeping one in the same room as the chinchilla could be a problem because it would constantly be smelling prey. Is that true as well? I'll hold off until I move into a larger place that allows me to house it separately. Nobody I know actually owns a snake so that's why I've come here to speak to those with experience directly. The health and happiness of my babies matters the most so I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, this is new to me so I'm still learning. That being said... My knowledge is limited so please use beginners speak so you don't lose me Lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Temperature help?

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeyy View Post
    Chinchillas require low temperatures so my bedroom is usually cold. It never gets higher than 70, usually stays between 60-65.
    Can I efficiently keep the snake at the proper temperatures in a room that cold?
    welcome to the forum!
    a lot of people around here use RHP (Radiant Heat Panels) that distribute heat and raise the ambient (air) temperatures to the required temps, using a thermostat to regulate them. ambient temps for a BP should never drop below 75° and most people keep their temps at or just above 80°.

Someone also mentioned that keeping one in the same room as the chinchilla could be a problem because it would constantly be smelling prey. Is that true as well?
    i'm not sure about this one, so maybe someone else can chime in with their experience.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I don't know if it would be the same with a BP, but my redtail didn't seem to have any problems with aggression with my chinchilla in the same room as him. My boa lived with 3 cats and a chinchilla- the chinchilla wanted to stir up trouble more than any of my other pets!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    You can keep a snake in a room that cold but not with a tank or even a tub since too much heat will escape through the walls. Get either a PVC or melamine enclosure, and install both a radiant heat panel to help give the ambient temp a boost, along with heat tape or an under-tank heater to create a basking spot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (02-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate the friendly welcome.

I don't know if it would be the same with a BP, but my redtail didn't seem to have any problems with aggression with my chinchilla in the same room as him. My boa lived with 3 cats and a chinchilla- the chinchilla wanted to stir up trouble more than any of my other pets!
    Did you have trouble keeping your snake at the right temperature while keeping the chin cool enough? My younger cat is probably going to be the most annoying... He's relentless with the chinchilla. They'd be kept at separate ends of the room and obviously I won't handle them directly after each other... Not that I can handle the chinchilla much anyway, he's a turd Lol.

You can keep a snake in a room that cold but not with a tank or even a tub since too much heat will escape through the walls. Get either a PVC or melamine enclosure, and install both a radiant heat panel to help give the ambient temp a boost, along with heat tape or an under-tank heater to create a basking spot.
    Where would you recommend purchasing one? Can you link me to anything that shows me how to set everything up properly? It helps to actually see how others put everything together.
    Also, are these particularly heavy?

Random other question... I read that should not feed the snake in it's cage. Is that true or is it recommended to feed in the cage?

Thanks
    Melamine is heavier than PVC but you should easily be able to pick up and move a melamine enclosure sized for a ball python. Personally I prefer PVC enclosures as they last longer, though they're typically more expensive. There are a lot of good vendors out there. I'd also check Craigslist as you can often find them used locally for a good price - and no shipping charges.

Feed the snake in its enclosure. I also want to know where people are reading that b/c it's totally wrong, it does not make your snake cage-aggressive.

Keepers with 100+ snakes feed them in the enclosure for convenience.
    Keepers with giant pythons feed them in the enclosure to avoid trips to the emergency room.
    Keepers with venomous snakes feed them in the enclosure to avoid trips to the morgue.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

BonnieAndClyde (02-26-2017),Craiga 01453 (02-20-2017),GoingPostal (02-21-2017),jmcrook (02-20-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome!!

My snakes are all in the same room, which they share with 4 ferrets. I turned a 4'x6'x6' closet into my ferret enclosure with the front being almost entirely screen. So plenty of ferret aromas are in the air the snakes share and I've never had a problem with any aggression or anything like that at all. I've never even heard of that...

The room usually stays around 67-70 and I am able to maintain the appropriate temps in my snakes enclosures, which are all glass (for now, I'll be switching to PVC over time). It gets trickier in the winter months to maintain the humidity, but I make adjustments and it works out. I am definitely looking forward to switching to PVC though. Hopefully all 4 enclosures will be switched over by next winter.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Melamine is heavier than PVC but you should easily be able to pick up and move a melamine enclosure sized for a ball python. Personally I prefer PVC enclosures as they last longer, though they're typically more expensive. There are a lot of good vendors out there. I'd also check Craigslist as you can often find them used locally for a good price - and no shipping charges.

Feed the snake in its enclosure. I also want to know where people are reading that b/c it's totally wrong, it does not make your snake cage-aggressive.
    Is it less expensive to make your own PVC enclosure or do materials cost enough to just pay someone else to do it? What is the ideal size for a full grown BP? I would prefer to get a male since they are smaller, but I'm not worried about that just yet. I did actually check craigslist... No wins there, plenty of tanks though.

That's what I was thinking, I questioned them why since I knew plenty of people fed in the cage. They were just average snake owners who said the snake would mistake your hand for food if you fed them in the cage. I thought it was silly since we had a snake when I was in school and the teacher always fed her in the tank, and she always let us handle her without any trouble.

Welcome!!

My snakes are all in the same room, which they share with 4 ferrets. I turned a 4'x6'x6' closet into my ferret enclosure with the front being almost entirely screen. So plenty of ferret aromas are in the air the snakes share and I've never had a problem with any aggression or anything like that at all. I've never even heard of that...

The room usually stays around 67-70 and I am able to maintain the appropriate temps in my snakes enclosures, which are all glass (for now, I'll be switching to PVC over time). It gets trickier in the winter months to maintain the humidity, but I make adjustments and it works out. I am definitely looking forward to switching to PVC though. Hopefully all 4 enclosures will be switched over by next winter.

Good luck.
    Thanks!
    More often than not, it's 60-65 degrees. Sometimes cooler in the winter months, which was why I was super concerned about being able to maintain proper cage temps for the snake. Ideally I'd love to get one as soon as I'm confident in my knowledge and have all the proper supplies but if it's too risky, I will wait.
    I'm just happy that I lucked out with veterinary care. Being a veterinary nurse has it's perks.

The snake owners I talked to who told me not to feed them in the cages told me to be careful keeping them in the same room. To me it also sounded silly but as someone who is still learning, I don't know what's right and wrong yet haha.

How do you maintain humidity in the cage without raising it in the room? Is misting efficient? Chins need low humidity.
    The husbandry is clashing here Lol.

Another random question... What do you do to maintain heat when the power goes out? I live in a tiny apartment so a generator isn't much of an option. In a pinch I can always run the snake into work and keep it in the incubator but that's not an ideal solution.

Thanks

What do you do to maintain heat when the power goes out?
    Put the snake in a pillow case or snake bag and put it down your shirt. At night you can put the bag into a tub and put it under your bedcovers with you. The tub is to ensure that the snake doesn't escape, you don't roll over on it, and if it pees it doesn't "wet your bed".

You can certainly make an enclosure but you'll need tools for cutting the PVC or melamine and a truck to bring home the materials. Since you're in an apartment your best bet is to purchase one.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

argofoto (02-22-2017),Craiga 01453 (02-21-2017)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey everyone. I'm completely new in the world of snakes but a BP is something I have been interested in owning for years. I've had a variety of animals but have never had the opportunity to own a reptile. I'm not ready to get one yet since I still have plenty of research to do, and it honestly may not even happen right now because I'm concerned about the temperature requirements.

I'm aware that snakes live in higher temperatures and require a heating source. My problem is that the only place I have room to keep one is in my bedroom... Which also houses my chinchilla. Chinchillas require low temperatures so my bedroom is usually cold. It never gets higher than 70, usually stays between 60-65.
    Can I efficiently keep the snake at the proper temperatures in a room that cold? Since this would be my first animal that requires a heating source, I'm not sure how difficult it is to maintain the temperature of the tank in a colder area.

Someone also mentioned that keeping one in the same room as the chinchilla could be a problem because it would constantly be smelling prey. Is that true as well? I'll hold off until I move into a larger place that allows me to house it separately. Nobody I know actually owns a snake so that's why I've come here to speak to those with experience directly. The health and happiness of my babies matters the most so I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, this is new to me so I'm still learning. That being said... My knowledge is limited so please use beginners speak so you don't lose me Lol.
    I keep my 3 bps right next to my rat colonies. zero issues with aggression or feeding thus far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast