Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,020

0 members and 3,020 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I give all my snakes hides and they all are fine. My 7' boa doesn't really use her hide much anymore but she still has one and she is super mellow. Even her vet and nurse both were amazed how mellow she was even when the vet stuck a needle in her nose to take a sample of her sinus infection. She didn't even flinch or hiss.

My 5' sunglow doesn't use her hide anymore really either except to sit on top of.

My retic still uses his hides but its hit or miss. Sometimes he sits in them, other times he sits outside. And I can reach in and pick him up fine. If he gets pissy, it only involves him pushing my hand away with his body or going inside his hide.

Even my 11 month old salmon dh snowglow boy isn't shy and he has 3 hides. he sits in them but always has his head or half his body poking out of them.

I believe every snake should be offered a hide. it gives them that secure feeling they need to help them mellow out. And with age, a lot of boas quit even using them as well as retics. But again, I always offer them as even my big ones will use them sometimes when in shed.

Now if you are talking racks, I can understand that as the rack itself IS the hide.

And all of my snakes are mellow too. I have never even hook trained any of them and I can reach in above them or whatever and just drag them out. Heck half the time, I just leave one door open on their AP cages for hours while I watch TV and they just sit there either with just their head sitting on the litter dam or hanging down looking at the floor. Then they get bored and most of the time will go back in the cage and either go curl up in the back corner and go to sleep which I then close the door or they just sit curled up in front of the open door which is mostly what the retic or Rosey my 7' girl girl does.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-22-2017),Zincubus (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Sharing! New hatchling retic

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I give all my snakes hides and they all are fine. My 7' boa doesn't really use her hide much anymore but she still has one and she is super mellow. Even her vet and nurse both were amazed how mellow she was even when the vet stuck a needle in her nose to take a sample of her sinus infection. She didn't even flinch or hiss.

My 5' sunglow doesn't use her hide anymore really either except to sit on top of.

My retic still uses his hides but its hit or miss. Sometimes he sits in them, other times he sits outside. And I can reach in and pick him up fine. If he gets pissy, it only involves him pushing my hand away with his body or going inside his hide.

Even my 11 month old salmon dh snowglow boy isn't shy and he has 3 hides. he sits in them but always has his head or half his body poking out of them.

I believe every snake should be offered a hide. it gives them that secure feeling they need to help them mellow out. And with age, a lot of boas quit even using them as well as retics. But again, I always offer them as even my big ones will use them sometimes when in shed.

Now if you are talking racks, I can understand that as the rack itself IS the hide.

And all of my snakes are mellow too. I have never even hook trained any of them and I can reach in above them or whatever and just drag them out. Heck half the time, I just leave one door open on their AP cages for hours while I watch TV and they just sit there either with just their head sitting on the litter dam or hanging down looking at the floor. Then they get bored and most of the time will go back in the cage and either go curl up in the back corner and go to sleep which I then close the door or they just sit curled up in front of the open door which is mostly what the retic or Rosey my 7' girl girl does.
    Thanks , interesting ... My Royals all have hides as I mentioned but the rest have ' hiding places ' or ' quiet spots ' in and amongst branches and logs .

All lovely and placid aside from a crazy King and a feisty Bamboo Rat snake

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Yeah, see I keep my cages more simplistic. I have AP cages with shelves but I don't have branches or logs. I just use a large water bowl and hides. Half the time, the boas just use the bottom of the shelf as a hide kind of and just sleep curled up under that.

I offer all hides though just to give them the option plus it also doubles as something for them to get height with along with the shelf. Seems to a boa, 4" off the ground might as well be 4' off the ground. They seem happy with any kind of height elevation lol.

And yeah, my BP loves hers hides but funny part is I catch her a lot of time sitting just stretched out in the front of the cage outside as well. During the day though, she is always in one of the hides.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    For me, my snakes ( carpets/corn/boa /gtp etc) has all branches made from PVC pipes and layers of newspaper as substrate. So far, only the Corn snake seems to be hiding underneath the papers, the rest of them just hang around the safe spot.

Similiar to many keepers, I've no designated hide for them, just a cosy corner since i find it hard to remove the snakes from the cage without messing up everything simplicity is the key for me.

Right now i've added hide for my baby retic, let's see how it goes, if she get more feisty i might just remove it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12