Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,948

1 members and 1,947 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I've always considered "Hatchling" up to 350 gr. or so.

However, it is important that a hatchling doesn't get sold (or dragged to shows) until they have shed (few days after hatching) and then have had a few good meals in them. Its what we call an "established" hatchling.
    Some people say not to buy one under 100 gr. But I feel the most important part is to get one that has eaten a few meals. Whether it is around 80-90 gr. or over 100 gr. Some just start out smaller then others.

Long story short, this is why its important to buy form a REPUTABLE breeder. They wouldn't sell a hatchling that hasn't eaten a few good meals.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-20-2017)

Thanks
    I'm going to revisit this thread... been thinking about it and have some questions...

Being a first-time buyer, and new to the hobby, I have indeed been doing a lot of reading and researching all different aspects to owning a bp.

So... some tips on what I'm looking for if I go to a show and am looking for a new bp. What's normal?

I know I can ask the age and weight, I guess, but what else? Is a breeder supposed to have paperwork on the ball? When it hatched? Its feedings since hatch? If it feeds good or assisted feed? strike feed? Anything else?
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I don't know about supposed to, but I think most reputable ones probably will. The breeder I bought from gave me documentation. Feeding records, birth certificate with info on the mother and father. All that stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Source of New Ball

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMTF View Post
    I'm going to revisit this thread... been thinking about it and have some questions...

Being a first-time buyer, and new to the hobby, I have indeed been doing a lot of reading and researching all different aspects to owning a bp.

So... some tips on what I'm looking for if I go to a show and am looking for a new bp. What's normal?

I know I can ask the age and weight, I guess, but what else? Is a breeder supposed to have paperwork on the ball? When it hatched? Its feedings since hatch? If it feeds good or assisted feed? strike feed? Anything else?
    Feel free to ask the sellers anything and everything you'd like to know! There's nothing worse than getting home with an animal you fell in love with but know little to nothing about and suddenly not being able to reach the seller (or not remembering who they were!). By asking questions, you'll learn very quickly who you want to work with are and who you don't. The same applies when looking online.

Here's a great discussion on Reptile Show Etiquette and what to potentially expect: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...show+etiquette.

As far as records and paperwork, there is no standard. To be 100% transparent, anything a seller does give you is only as good as their word anyway. For some, their word will be gold - for some, it's not worth the paper it's printed on. If I had to guess, most vendors aren't likely to have much in terms of paperwork on them. Once again, this is why good conversation between the buyer and seller is so important.

Most importantly, have fun! There tend to be two types of people at shows: those that come home with something almost every time and those that almost never do. Personally, I fall into the second category because - let's be honest - I'm reeeaaaalllly picky.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I agree with Eric. Have fun with it. Look at at many as you can and pick the one that you can't live without.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Source of New Ball

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMTF View Post
    Is it better to pick one up at the show, where you can see, feel, and get to know your new ball before picking him out? Or, are people getting better specimens from mail-order breeders? I would think the former.
    The part in bold made me LOL.
    I love to meet people online and I love to meet people in person and have sold animals in both ways. What kind of breeder does that make me?
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12