Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,785

2 members and 2,783 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Breeding help? Red coastal Jag x ???

I have a female red jag from Owen McIntyre and she's almost 5 years old now and I'm thinking of breeding her (She has been a pet). But what would be the best male to put her with that will produce the most non "normal" offspring? (I have been more into BP breeding than carpets so I'm still learing about genetics with them)

Suggestions? Offspring ratio info? TIA

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I'm not a breeding or morph guy, but I look forward to seeing what you end up with!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    If you want to go pure coastal, as opposed to intergrade, and by non-normal you mean morph, you would need to go caramel or super caramel. This is the only other co-dominate morph of the coastal carpet. Pairing to a caramel would in theory result in 25% each of normal, jag, caramel and caramel jag. Pairing to super caramel would result in 50% each of caramel and caramel jag. Be aware that a jag to jag pairing results in 25% super jags, which is a lethal combo that will result in dead in the egg snakes. The only other coastal morph is axanthic which is recessive. Thus pairing to your snake would result in 100% het for axanthic of which 50% would be jag.
    Last edited by DennisM; 02-18-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks

Re: Breeding help? Red coastal Jag x ???

Quote Originally Posted by Kaydp16 View Post
    I have been more into BP breeding than carpets so I'm still learing about genetics with them
    Carpet genetics are no different than BP genetics. Once you've established whether the mutation is dominant/co-dominate/recessive, you are on your way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    Carpet genetics are no different than BP genetics. Once you've established whether the mutation is dominant/co-dominate/recessive, you are on your way.
    Perhaps I’ve given a misguided reply here. Maybe what you’re saying is that you are unfamiliar with Morelia morphs and the nature of those morphs. So, some info about Morelia morphs

Albino – recessive. Originated in Darwin carpets. Has been mixed with coastal to a large degree in the US.

Axanthic – recessive. Originated in coastals. I think it remains largely confined to that ssp at this time.

Caramel – co-dominate. Originated in coastals and I believe it largely remains there.

Granite – recessive. Originated in IJ and has been intergraded with other ssp

Hypo - recessive. Originated in bredls and as far as I know has yet to be intergraded. A fairly new morph, so the greed driven integration hasn’t begun yet.

Jaguar – co-dominate. Originated in coastals. Has been intergraded with pretty much every other morelia ssp known. The homozygous form is lethal.

Stonewashed – recessive. Originated in bredls and as far as I know has yet to be intergraded. A fairly new morph, so the greed driven integration hasn’t begun yet.

Zebra – co-dominate. Originated in JCP. I think it largely remains there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

ShaneSilva (02-18-2017)

Thanks
    There also seem to be Tiger or Striped forms, how do these work genetically and what is their origin?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    There also seem to be Tiger or Striped forms, how do these work genetically and what is their origin?
    tigers are a polygenic "morph". they are not genetic in a recessive/co-dominant sense. line breeding is the way to propagate this "morph". you will see references to super tigers, but this is not accurate in the way the term super is normally used in the hobby. it's a label that is attached to snakes that show an extremely high level of the tiger striping from tiger to tiger pairings.
    Last edited by DennisM; 04-12-2017 at 09:29 AM.