Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

2 members and 2,887 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Curiosity? Pied marker maybe?

My little male pastel 100% het pied has these high grey/white sides all the way down his body from the belly up. Is this a pastel thing or maybe a pied marker or anything? Just curious it's been bugging me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 pastel 100% het piebald
    0.1 pastel enchi 100% het clown

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Curiosity? Pied marker maybe?

Hi,

I'm not convinced on the reliability of "pied markers" but they are usually associated with solid black edge lines on the lower third of the belly pattern.

would like others opinions of them really as well.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I'm not convinced on the reliability of "pied markers" but they are usually associated with solid black edge lines on the lower third of the belly pattern.

would like others opinions of them really as well.
    Yeah I'd never base a het just off of markers either. I did just hatch 3 definite het pieds and forgot to check their bellies out so I'll share pics if anyone wants examples.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I was just curious of this lighter patterning it's pretty cool and I hope it kind of "pronounces" itself as he gets older. He does not have the typical markers I've seen on the lower third of his body. But one of the parents was a visual pied and the other a 100% het so I know he is a 100% het. Really just admiring his patterning and curiosity got the best of me lol he's still really nippy I can get him to sort of calm down when handling but when I put him back he immediately gets defensive and s's up so I'm hoping a few more handling he'll be ok. My female on the other hand is getting to the point I can put my hand in the enclosure close to her and she'll wander over and check out my hand after a minute and at that point I'll pick her up

Thanks

I'm not an expert on pied markers, but that is an interesting look for a pastel. Very brown on top, giving a sharp contrast with the light color on the sides. I like that "pixelated" transition. Any breeding plans for this guy?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greco View Post
    I'm not an expert on pied markers, but that is an interesting look for a pastel. Very brown on top, giving a sharp contrast with the light color on the sides. I like that "pixelated" transition. Any breeding plans for this guy?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    I know it's almost like there's just something else in there! I'm hoping to pair with another pastel het pied get a super pastel pied or since tax times coming up I may look around for a subadult pastel pied or a spied to pair with my male.
    For everyone's amusement(haha) also plan on getting a female black pastel het pied hatchling soon so my panda project and clown project will hopefully be under way in 3-4 years. I wasn't really thinking that far ahead for this male pastel as I wasn't planning on attempting to breed for a few years once I got experience with my bps and felt comfortable enough to make new life into this world. But since he is a male I may go ahead and try my hand at breeding when he's ready. Which is why I'm kinda looking at subadult females. I'm just not really sure yet since I'm new and extremely nervous I don't want to overdue it if I'm not really ready yet. I want what's best for my bps first not me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I'm pretty sure what you have there is a Calico Pastel. Here's a photo of another one. It would be interesting to see if that calico is genetic to 50% of the offspring. A Calico Pastel is also called a Bubblegum Pastel! Are you sure there's pastel in there? Doesn't look that yellow from your photo, almost looks like a straight Calico.

Last edited by cchardwick; 02-18-2017 at 03:37 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-18-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

They look a lot alike my boy has no/low yellow. He's not a trusted breeder but I've known of him for years and he's been breeding a long time as well as owned the reptile store about an hour away for a long time until it burnt down

Thanks
    Pics of the tail pattern and lower third of the body would clarify if he has calico or not. Personally, I don't think his pattern screams calico, and I've seen pastels with a pixelation effect like that in the lighter areas of the alien heads, but yours is the most extreme (and most beautiful) example I've seen. Possibly het pied influence, definitely interesting.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'll get some pics here Tomm or Monday of the lower half and we'll figure this out lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast