Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

2 members and 3,339 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Still Having Hognose Issues

I posted a thread on here a while ago concerning my hognose feeding issues but I'll repeat myself a little. I have a female Western Hognose who was born in July and was told by the breeder she was feeding like a champ. I received her in December. Seeing as I received the Hognose at 7-8 grams I find that hard to believe now but I'll leave that for someone with more expertise to tell me if that could be accurate. I have tried 20 gal. 16qt and 6 qt tubs with very little effect on her appetite. Since December, she has eaten for me twice, once scented with chicken broth and once scented with tuna. She has also shed and pooped. I have played with temperatures since posting my last thread to see if I could stimulate a feeding response to no success. The interesting thing is she took to the tuna scented pinky (Jan. 28th) almost instantly introducing her to it. I have noticed another issue though. She seems to have a brown streak by her throat where the skin surrounding it is white. I'm not sure if this is the continuation of her black belly but it doesn't look natural to me. She also spends most of the afternoon "glass surfing", as if she wants to escape. She has done this in her 20 gal. 16qt. and 6qt all with different temperatures. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this because I cannot seem to figure this out.

Husbandry at the moment.
    Temps: cool side ranging from 76-80
    Hot spot 89-92
    Humidity: 50%(I know this may be high but she has exhibited the glass surfing in Humidity as low as 30%
    Housing: 6qt tub with two hides and a water bowl

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Bedding?

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    No interest in tuna scented pinky now huh? Maybe try scenting a pinky with another strong fishy scent-I have cubes of frozen food so would use that but even buying some mixed seafood and blending it or fish oil maybe? Does she act interested in food or like she's looking for it at all? I had to stick my hoggie in a smaller container with the food when she was little, otherwise she would never eat mice just left in the cage.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks

Re: Still Having Hognose Issues

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Bedding?
    1 1/2 inch of aspen. She loves to burrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    No interest in tuna scented pinky now huh? Maybe try scenting a pinky with another strong fishy scent-I have cubes of frozen food so would use that but even buying some mixed seafood and blending it or fish oil maybe? Does she act interested in food or like she's looking for it at all? I had to stick my hoggie in a smaller container with the food when she was little, otherwise she would never eat mice just left in the cage.
    This is the confusing part to me. First time I introduced tuna she took it within ten seconds. Now she just ignores it. Any idea on the glass surfing part? I'll keep the seafood in mind since I've basically tried everything except road lol

Thanks

Sorry to revive this thread but I still need help. I have kept my hognose in a 6qt for over a month now. I have tried leaving her in a smaller container with scented/unscented prey, enclosure covered not covered, prey thawed with hot water/prey thawed at room temperature, brained scented/brained unscented. I've also tried the zombie dance with the pinky but she just gets really pissed and afraid. I recently moved her on top of my t-8 because that consistently makes the cool side 79-81 degrees. I read on a U.K. Forum that increasing the hot spot to 94-96 degrees helps so I've done that as well. What would be your absolute go to feeding method? I plan on leaving her completely alone for a week and attempting to feed again. She recently defecated and is weighing in at 8g empty. She seems to be cruising around her enclosure looking for food even when I leave a pinky in there over night. I also have not handled her pretty much at all since getting her in December. I've been waiting for her to start eating consistently. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I don't know what to do at this point.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Have you tried offering live food and leaving it in the tub overnight with her?

Thanks

I've tried live but never left it in overnight. I was told she was feeding on unscented f/t so that's why I've stuck with it. Do you think offering live would help?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Always want to try every available option. Try offering an appropriately sized pinkie and leave it in the tub with her overnight. I've had to offer live to hogs that were consistently eating F/T who went off food.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

cron14 (03-02-2017)