Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

1 members and 2,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RI or what?

Thanks

RI or what?

So, extremely confused and stressed out. My 2 1/2 year old ball python has been having RI pretty much every year. I keep the temps and humidity perfect. Also every time I go the vet always says it doesn't look like a RI because she has no mucus build up. Only whistling or the odd wheeze. I don't hear her often. Maybe once a week or less. I'm starting to think maybe that's just how she is. Is there anything else it could possibly be? I will be taking her for another culture. Just trying to avoid as much stress as possible for her. Otherwise she seems fine. Just frustrated with the noises she's making without a correct answer. I will be posting pictures of the inside of her mouth in a little bit. Waiting for a friend to come and help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: RI or what?

And is it possible that she could just be like that

Thanks

Thanks

Her airway and nostrils are clear

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    If you've done cultures and tests in the past and the vet says it isn't RI, it's probably not an RI. Many things can cause wheezes. Shedding, dusty bedding, smoke (whether from incense or cigarettes), general activity (they get out of breath, too), etc.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (02-15-2017),Medduussa (02-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Maybe it's just me but that looks pretty bubbly at the back of the throat. If you had a culture done and it was good, then I don't know. How well do you trust this vet? Maybe find another exotic vet and call them and find out their experience with reptiles and maybe get a culture done with them?

My vet always does cultures and really doesn't like to throw antibiotics at my reptiles unless they are really sick which in that case she will prescribe a wide spectrum one until the culture comes back and then switch if needed. I trust her though as she saved Allie from dying from PAM and has treated Rosey for a sinus infection and Harley for RI.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 02-15-2017 at 03:06 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Maybe it's just me but that looks pretty bubbly at the back of the throat. If you had a culture done and it was good, then I don't know. How well do you trust this vet? Maybe find another exotic vet and call them and find out their experience with reptiles and maybe get a culture done with them?
    I'm worried about stressing her out long term from having multiple lung washes. :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post

My vet always does cultures and really doesn't like to throw antibiotics at my reptiles unless they are really sick which in that case she will prescribe a wide spectrum one until the culture comes back and then switch if needed. I trust her though as she saved Allie from dying from PAM and has treated Rosey for a sinus infection and Harley for RI.
    Plus idk why I'll check her mouth it'll be clear and the next it'll be bubbly

Thanks
    I hear ya. I mean if you trust the vet, then go with that. Maybe bump up the temp a few degrees and the humidity and wait a week or 2 to see if the noise goes away. If not, I would probably get a culture done by another vet. Stress sucks but a full blown advanced RI that turns into pneumonia is a lot worse. And wait until you have to give shots every other day to your snake lol. I had to do that for Rosey for a month. Was really easy for her as she is 7' but for a small snake, I would be freakin out that I would stick the needle too far and hurt them. Luckily my vet will do shots for free as long as I bring the animal in every 3 days but its a long drive for me so I learned to do it myself haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medduussa View Post
    Plus idk why I'll check her mouth it'll be clear and the next it'll be bubbly

Yeah the bubbly part is what makes me wonder. I've been told that is an early indicator of RI. Doesn't have to be all thick and sticky. It can also be bubbly and prevalent like your guy. But I mean, bump the temps up a few degrees to get his immune system into overdrive and bump the humidity up some and see if his body clears it up on its own. If it doesn't in a week or 2, I would consider a second opinion like I said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast