Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 649

2 members and 647 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Anyone feed their BPs large rats?

So I've been debating sizing up my BP to large rats. She's on mediums now and they don't really leave that much of a ump in her and she still will sometimes be active at night even after the medium. Thinking of larges so I can pretty get everyone on large rats so I can just order one size. She's about 4.5' and probably 2" thick or a little thicker and at last weigh in, was about 1680g. Just wondering anyone is feeding their girls on large rats probably about 250g or so.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Anyone feed their BPs large rats?

I personally don't feed that large and I've never really heard someone doing so. My biggest females only get 150 to 175 gram rats and they do fine on that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ccplotner For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I would think that with a larger rat you could go longer between feedings. I'd try it, some snakes will refuse it if you get too big. My reticulated python is on super jumbo rats LOL. (520 grams) For my ball pythons I go with as large as they will take, usually because I raise my own and have an excess of rats, I try to feed off the largest ones first so I don't get too many jumbos.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Anyone feed their BPs large rats?

My 16 year old girl, Elvira takes Larges and sometimes even a Jumbo. I realize that mediums are the norm for the max size, but she gets very cage aggressive that will last up to 3 days if only given med, or even multiple mediums.

When I offer large or Jumbo, she is satisfied and mellows out. Now she feeds monthly or longer. Unlike most folks here who feed weekly or every 2 weeks.
    Even when fed mediums she will not eat any earlier than monthly.

She also fasts every winter.

Last edited by Reinz; 02-17-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

cletus (02-17-2017),Sauzo (02-17-2017),Slither Seeker (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I have a couple of BPs that easily take large rats and some of the other BP's I used to have took large rats as well.

My male pastel yellowbellys will look for seconds after a large rat. I can't imagine what he would do after a medium. He could easily take a xlg, but I don't have any that big ..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Yeah I picked up a 205g large rat today. Thawing it now and gonna see if Dottie eats it. If not, I'm sure Caesar will even though he's in shed and being quiet. I bet if I hang a rat in his cage, he will pop out for dinner haha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-17-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone feed their BPs large rats?

There is no bed for large rats, à BP will do better and feed with more consistency on smaller preys weekly.

I have females in the 3000 to 4000 grams range and they get mediums.

Sure they can take large even xl I even experimented with feeding a bit.

Result they eat more and with more consistency when fed sma)er prey.

They will eat 120/150 grams rats weekly but when offered 250 grams rats they will skip a week so the monthly food intake is actually less.

Other issues is that you will have a slughish animal for DAYS, the bigger the prey the longer the digestion process.

Finally BP have a slow metabolism and have a very low activity level and they are really over fed in captivity even when feeding a 150 grams rat once a week it's more food than they really need, which is why I often skip a week. Males get even less.

Because they can do something does not mean they should, you are looking at an animal that can live up to 30 years so overfeeding is not such a great idea, you are also at risk of fatty liver disease that has been diagnose in BP.

You can have an animal grow to 3000 grams or more without ever feeding anythi bg larger than a medium rats and there is no need for a lump after a meal especially not in an adult.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-17-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (02-18-2017),BeelzeBall. (02-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (02-21-2017),Roko800 (05-23-2019),Snoopyslim (02-21-2017),Sonny1318 (02-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    After researching this issue thoroughly I have been under the assumption that pythons can digest large meals incredibly fast.

The reason for that is that they dramatically adapt their organs and system in order to digest. The heart and organs changes size, the heart rate goes up, energy is being used.
    I can't repeat the exact scientific explanation, but there is a lot of it out there. Just a small example:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._python_2.html

I've been told it is better to give a break in between feedings rather then feed smaller meals more often (in adults, whose metabolism has slowed down). Simply for the fact that if fed more often, their body go into "digestion overdrive" to often, rather then utilizing a larger meal and then having a longer break. I was advised to give at least 2 weeks between meals for adults, unless breeding.

All that said, I simply look at my snakes. I have none that look flaccid and fat or lack muscle tone. The only time any of them have refused food consistently (more then twice) is my male that is breeding. The other times were the odd time when one was about to go into shed.

My male that takes large rats (not the breeding one) is big. He isn't fat, though, he doesn't "pancake", he isn't sluggish. He looks quite healthy. He certainly is quite strong. Before I put him on large rats he would be back to cruising for food almost right after eating his medium rat. He acts far more satisfied now. He rests for 2 days after eating his large rat, then comes out for a "leisurely stroll" at night for the next few nights. 8 or 9 days after feeding he goes back into hunting mode.

I let research and guidelines "guide" me. But I also follow my gut instinct when it comes to the animals I've owned and known for years. There were only a few BP's that I fed large rats too, but none of them were fat or started to refuse food. However, they were also not offered food weekly, but bi weekly with breaks for shedding.

I'm always open to suggestions and valuable advice from more experienced owners, though. I might try to bump down the meal size, and see what happens. The only one I know for sure that will not be happy about this is the large male. I didn't like the way he frantically "cruised" for more food all the time, while on medium rats.

Here is a recent picture of his "shape"..

Last edited by zina10; 02-18-2017 at 01:23 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (02-18-2017),BeelzeBall. (02-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (02-21-2017),Reinz (02-18-2017),Sauzo (02-18-2017),Snoopyslim (02-21-2017),the_rotten1 (02-18-2017)

Thanks
    Yeah Zina. Here is an article about that issue https://www.uta.edu/news/releases/20...-intestine.php.

And yeah Deborah, think I'm going to just stick to mediums for Dottie. I tried a large and medium today and she wasn't hungry lol. I usually just use tongs and stick the rat in a hide she's in and she goes bonkers and grabs it and the whole hide shakes and slides around lol. Did it today and she didn't want anything. She poked her head out, looked around and moved over to the war, hide lol. Luckily Caesar eats in shed so he took it but it took a few tries as he is deep in blue so couldn't see his tail in front of his face haha.

Dottie is actually a pretty active BP at night. She climbs all over and generally shoves stuff around until morning, then she goes in a hide and sleeps all day.

Thanks
    Dang Zina, that bp is chubby hahaha. I mean Dottie is 'meaty' but nothing like that haha. I took her to the vet about 2 weeks ago for her checkup and the vet said she looked good. Dottie was not very cooperative though and kept trying to get away haha. Here she is on one of her nightly tours of destruction haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast